The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL 18 Thread

MusclePharm

On ‎11‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 7:22 PM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I remember the days when EA NHL threads would reach around 50 pages this time of the year. Boy, did they go downhill fast.

Same, but the more we play MLB the Show and NBA2k we see how sports games should be evolving.  The only thing EA has going for them is the exclusive licensing rights to the NFL and NHL.  With how much fantasy sports is gaining in popularity it's only a matter a time a rival makes a hockey game(hopefully for PC as well) and then they can rely on the community to create logos and rosters much like they do for Eastside Hockey Manager.  Hopefully their sales plummet and heads start to roll from the top.

On 2017-08-11 at 7:22 PM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I remember the days when EA NHL threads would reach around 50 pages this time of the year. Boy, did they go downhill fast.

Yeah, man. Tell me about it. I was a regular in those threads, and I used to run GM Connected leagues on here. $&!# was awesome. Then they got rid of GM Connected after the jump to PS4/One and most of that activity seemed to just drop right off.

After seeing what FIFA 17 brought, The Show, NBA2K (for years), and now the recent Madden review, NHL is severely behind in their BAP mode.

It used to be "Oh, well they don't have as much money, but they'll probably get something good in a few years." Now, after especially FIFA 17 and the reviews for the new Madden, I have doubts the NHL series will even mildly be able to successfully implement a half assed BAP mode that 2K had in place in 2010.

Quite sad.

On 03/07/2017 at 8:23 PM, CanucksHomer said:

"To reflect the youth movement in the modern NHL, expect to see a lot more NHL-ready players in the top 10 of drafts. You may also be able to find more gems in later rounds than in previous years."

Finally, I'm not sure about 15, 16 and 17 but all the games before that the draft seems kind of useless. Only the top 3 players eventually become 80+ overall and serviceable.

Because of this, I usually just trade away all my picks. I hope they model the draft after the Madden series, if you are unfamiliar, it has a very deep scouting system and the draft is the best way to build your team.

Ive had late round picks finish 85 overall and on my 2nd line, more than once. Its always been about how you develop them.

5 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Ive had late round picks finish 85 overall and on my 2nd line, more than once. Its always been about how you develop them.

I found in the older games it was pretty much pointless to draft beyond 20th overall or so, but that changed in either NHL 15 or 16. I've had two late round gems- a 95 overall d-man drafted in the 4th round and a 97 overall goalie drafted in the 5th round.

2 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

I found in the older games it was pretty much pointless to draft beyond 20th overall or so, but that changed in either NHL 15 or 16. I've had two late round gems- a 95 overall d-man drafted in the 4th round and a 97 overall goalie drafted in the 5th round.

I feel like there is always an abundance of young players growing on my team, where as other teams struggle to get any type of roster going, so over time I just dominate on paper lol.

17 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

For me its been since NHL11 that ive been able to build through thé draft, with late round gems. 

2 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

For me its been since NHL11 that ive been able to build through thé draft, with late round gems. 

Is there a way to find out which players will blossom into top end talent, in the later rounds of the draft?

12 hours ago, Ursel23 said:

Is there a way to find out which players will blossom into top end talent, in the later rounds of the draft?

I draft by need, and then micromanage their AHL développement; put thèm on thé top 2 lines, PP, PK, and call thèm up. I roll 4 lines so they get playing time, and when they get hot, i bump thèm up. Had a Guy named Weiser  in NHL 14 and 15 who i picked 7th round, developed , and turned him into a 87/88 overall 2nd line winger. My advice, pick a couple players you like to use, and develop thé crap out of thème. It works.

HUT Challenges Deep Dive:

Hockey Ultimate Team™ (HUT) Challenges put your HUT 18 skills to the test. Each challenge presents unique objectives and, should you complete the challenges, unique rewards to help build your team. You can choose do the HUT Challenges by yourself or cooperatively with a friend. HUT Challenges will be updated with dynamic content and new rewards to earn, making them the perfect way to get a quick hockey fix.

Read our HUT Challenges Deep Dive to find out more!

What Are HUT Challenges?

HUT Challenges are a part of the new HUT Challenges game mode in Hockey Ultimate Team. Each challenge features a set of objectives that have rewards to help you upgrade your HUT team. There are a variety of challenges to choose from and they will be updated with new, dynamic content and rewards throughout the year.

Types of HUT Challenges

image.img.jpg

When you first enter HUT Challenges in NHL® 18, there will be over 140 HUT Challenges for you to conquer by yourself or with your friends! Here are some of the HUT Challenges categories that you can play:

Team Challenges
Progress your way through all the teams in leagues like the Ontario Hockey League (OHL), Swedish Hockey League (SHL) and the NHL, unlocking better teams as you complete challenges. The harder the competition, the better the rewards.

3-Star Challenges
3-Star Challenges put your entire NHL® 18 skill set to the test. These HUT Challenges will have objectives that will require you to adjust your play style to complete objectives offensively, defensively and on the power play and penalty kill!

Synergy Challenges
Complete these HUT Challenges to earn a player item for each of the HUT Syngeries in game!

NHL Journey Challenges
Embark on a journey from the Memorial Cup all the way to the NHL with your HUT team in these HUT Challenges!

Co-op Challenges
Invite a friend through online or local play to complete these co-op exclusive HUT Challenges!

HUT Challenges Objectives

image_1351792423.img.jpg

In order to earn rewards in HUT Challenges, you will need complete the unique objectives for every HUT Challenge. These objectives can range from something as simple as winning the game to more complex challenges like taking 10 more shots than your opponent. Once you complete an objective and finish the game, you will earn a star for that objective. Additionally, you will unlock the HUT Challenge rewards equal to the amount of stars you have earned on that challenge! Complete all three objectives to earn all of the rewards for the HUT Challenge.

HUT Challenges Rewards

image_1689046761.img.jpg

HUT Challenges can reward you with a variety of rewards. From coins to player items to Packs, the rewards for completing HUT Challenges will go a long way to improving your HUT team. As you progress within each HUT Challenges category, the rewards get bigger and better. You will only get the rewards from completing a challenge once.

If you are playing HUT Challenges through local or online co-op, the account that is hosting the game will be the account that receives the HUT Challenge rewards. The guests or friends that are invited into the HUT Challenge will not receive the rewards from the HUT Challenge.

Get ready to assemble your HUT team and battle your way through HUT Challenges throughout the entire year in NHL® 18

https://www.easports.com/nhl/hockey-ultimate-team/news/2017/hut-challenges-deep-dive

Expansion Mode Deep Dive:

From taking over the reins of the Vegas Golden Knights to adding in a 32nd team, the new Expansion Draft feature in Franchise Mode allows you to reshape the entire NHL. Run an authentic expansion draft where you select the best players from across the league, build a unique roster and take on the front office role to manage the team, the business and the games. Or if you’re playing as an existing franchise, protect your current team roster in the Expansion Draft by setting your own Protected Player list.

Read on for our deep dive on all the changes brought to Franchise Mode in NHL® 18

EXPANSION

There are 3 modes to play within NHL® 18 Franchise mode: Classic, 31 Team Expansion Draft and 32 Team Expansion Draft. 

CLASSIC

Classic Mode is Franchise Mode as you know and love it. All 31 NHL teams will start with your active roster. Select your team and jump straight into the 2017-18 NHL Season from the start of the pre-season in September. 

31 Team Expansion Draft

In the 31 Team Expansion Draft Mode, you start your journey three days before the Expansion Draft begins. There are two Expansion Draft scenarios for you to play in this mode: as the Vegas Golden Knights or as another NHL team.

If you choose to be the Vegas Golden Knights, you will go through the Expansion Draft and redraft their team based off your choice of either the Authentic Protected Player lists or computer-generated protection lists. You must follow the NHL Expansion Draft rules and select at least 14 forwards, 9 defenders and 3 goalies.

If you choose to be an existing NHL franchise, you can either set your own protection list or have the computer auto-generate one for you. Your protection list must follow NHL Expansion Draft rules and contain either 7 forwards, 3 defensemen and a goalie or 8 skaters and a goalie. Proceed to the Expansion Draft where the Vegas Golden Knights will take a player from your team.

After the Expansion Draft, you will head into the 2017 NHL® Entry Draft where you can draft and trade players like any other NHL team, and follow the regular off-season schedule with re-signing your players and Free Agency before jumping into the 2017-18 NHL season.

32 Team Expansion Draft

Reshape the entire NHL and create and draft a 32nd NHL team. Select the hometown for your team from cities all across North America and even in Europe - from Stockholm to Helsinki to Berlin to St. Petersburg. Customize everything about your team including the team name, the arena, the jerseys and even the mascot. 

After you finish creating your team, you can then choose to customize the AHL team to fit the theme of your new franchise. When you are done creating your team, jump into an authentic Expansion Draft where you select a player from the same 30 NHL teams across the league that Vegas did. The protection lists will be computer-generated from after the Vegas Golden Knights’ picked their roster.

Like the 31 Team Expansion Draft Mode, you will jump into the 2017 NHL® Entry Draft after the Expansion Draft. From there you will continue on with the rest of the 2017 NHL off-season activities, including a re-sign phase and Free Agency.

You can also choose to add a 32nd team and select an already-existing NHL franchise, like you can in the 31 Team Expansion Draft Mode.

EXPANSION MODE OPTIONS

There have been some added options to help customize your Franchise Mode experience. These include whether you want authentic Protection Lists for the Expansion Draft, the ability to toggle Player Morale on or off and the ability to toggle on or off certain pop-up notification warnings, like Scouting Assignment Warnings.

https://www.easports.com/nhl/news/2017/nhl-18-expansion-mode-deep-dive

19 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

After you finish creating your team, you can then choose to customize the AHL team to fit the theme of your new franchise. When you are done creating your team, jump into an authentic Expansion Draft where you select a player from the same 30 NHL teams across the league that Vegas did. The protection lists will be computer-generated from after the Vegas Golden Knights’ picked their roster.

From what I have read about the expansion so far, this is the only part I am not a fan of.

I love the idea of expanding to 32 teams and being the 32nd team, but you should alternate picks with Vegas, not do a 2nd expansion right after they do.

2 hours ago, goalie13 said:

From what I have read about the expansion so far, this is the only part I am not a fan of.

I love the idea of expanding to 32 teams and being the 32nd team, but you should alternate picks with Vegas, not do a 2nd expansion right after they do.

I wouldn't mind it if you could do it a season later, because then it would be like a true, second expansion. I doubt it will be like that though.

28 minutes ago, c00kies said:

I wouldn't mind it if you could do it a season later, because then it would be like a true, second expansion. I doubt it will be like that though.

Agreed.  That's not how it is in the overview though.  I'm still looking forward to creating my expansion franchise but it would be better if it was a little more authentic.

Archived