The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL Draft Rankings - Playing with Average Rankings

This was done before by Canucksarmy, but they didn't really post a file you could play with.

Here is a compiled list of the 48 players  projected to go in the first round between various scouting services, the variance from the average, and their individual rank variance.

Just an interesting list for anyone who wants to play with it.

Some interesting facts: 
Craig Button and ESPN both have about a 5 pick variance from his peers on projected draft position.
ISS is almost bang on averages with their top 6 picks with only the 5th differing.

In the top 10 it looks like 4 pairs competing for each of the first 8 spots if you look at averages... then clumps up after that. 1-2 Nico vs Nolan, 3-4 Vilardi vs Heiskanen, 5-6 Mittelstadt vs Glass, and 7-8 Makar vs Tippett. This will evidently change based on teams but, like I said, just interesting compilation of information.

The biggest player variances are:
Erik Brannstrom: Highest Rank 11, Lowest Rank 32, Variance 21 picks  
Owen Tippett: Highest Rank 4, Lowest Rank 23, Variance 19 picks
Urho Vaakanainen: Highest Rank 13, Lowest Rank 31, Variance 18 Picks
Callan Foote: Highest Rank 12, Lowest Rank 30, Variance 18 Picks

Timothy Liljegren: Highest Rank 4, Lowest Rank 22, Variance 18 Picks
Kristian Vesalainen: Highest Rank 9, Lowest Rank 26, Variance 17 Picks
Micheal Rasmussen: Highest Rank 6, Lowest Rank 22, Variance 16 Picks
Cale Makar: Highest Rank 3, Lowest Rank 19, Variance 16 Picks

NHL Draft Rankings.xlsx

Nicely done! This is definitely something I could see myself doing too, haha.

Vilardi really does seem the the generally considered #3 pick. Between Glass and Mittelstadt, it looks like Glass is the safer pick but that Mittelstadt might be a bigger win (or loss). Glass' highest rank was 4 compared to Mittelstadt at 3, but Glass wasn't ranked lower than 8th whereas Mittelstadt was ranked as low as #10.

5 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

ESPN out to lunch again

That's hilarious 

I tried to look it up to see if they try to explain tbeir rankings but it wants me to subscribe to read the article.  Not happening 

6 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

I know Heineskan isn't the sexy pick but if the Canucks can get him at 5, I'd love to see him and Juolevi down the road

I feel if we take him, fans will be mad that we didnt take a Centre where our biggest need is at. By all means if we can get the 3OA and keep the 5th, take Heineskan at 3 and a centre at 5. Unless we are a 100% sold on a player then take em at 3

15 minutes ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

I feel if we take him, fans will be mad that we didnt take a Centre where our biggest need is at. By all means if we can get the 3OA and keep the 5th, take Heineskan at 3 and a centre at 5. Unless we are a 100% sold on a player then take em at 3

For sure.  I know there's a lot of talk about getting the 3rd overall, but IMO if JB can swap Tanev for a young player that could slot in the top 6 C position, that may be the even better route.  Either way,  C and D!

5 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

I know Heineskan isn't the sexy pick but if the Canucks can get him at 5, I'd love to see him and Juolevi down the road

The only Dman I would take at 5 is Makar. Not saying that Heiskanen will be a bad player, but Makar is so dynamic from the backend

This draft is going to be as tricky to predict as the Virtanen-Nylander-Ehlers-Ritchie draft. We're going to end up with another one of those decisions. Lets hope JB takes the right player this time. What makes it harder now is that there's no clear elite player and no clear order so defencemen have jumped up to matter into things which is even harder to compare.

I think because of there being no evident BPA, the Canucks should take the best character guy and best fit for the team. For me, it goes Vilardi>Glass>Mittelstatd=Petterson. While Heiskanen or Makar would look lovely with our young defence core, we need centers desperately. Center depth and star defencemen is what it takes to win in the playoffs, we just witnessed that, so lets get up to scratch with the center depth and wait until 2018 for an elite defenceman.

I could see Colorado take a defenceman very easily with the 4th overall pick, especially with Makar and Heiskanen both likely still on the board. I expect Nolan and Hirschier gone top-2, then one defenceman gone in the top-5, leaving Vilardi, Mittelstatd, Tippett, Glass, Necas and Petterson to be shared between two teams (one being us). I honestly expect Vilardi to be snatched up as high as 3rd overall leaving us with the rest. Lets just hope someone makes a deal with Dallas who needs wingers and they take Tippett. 

At the end of the day, I think realistically we end up with Glass which is a win for me. If we can somehow grab Vilardi that's even better, just as long as we don't fall for Mittelstatd or Petterson or Tippett.

Archived