The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Can we make history at the draft and acquire 2 additional top 5 picks?

10 hours ago, Hortankin said:

My proposal..

TO VAN

Niemi

Nikushkin or a 2018 1st (becomes a 2nd if Dallas fails to make the playoffs)

TO DAL

Tanev

OK so your post stars pretty ambitious, but we've seen crazy trades happen before so not impossible.

10 hours ago, Hortankin said:

My proposal.

TO VAN

Cap dump

TO PHI

Edler (Retain some cap)

Markstrom

33rd OA

No if we make the pick at 5 I want Makar, he has really high potential, could be the next Karlsson. 

TO TBL

Baertschi

TO VAN

Drouin

I think it's fair value wise but the question is will Tampa accept?

Then you go straight to bat$&!# crazy even for a homer.  

So you think, the #2 pick, a potentially franchise player... you can get for Edler (who Canuck fans love to hate), a 2nd rounder and a backup goalie?  Dude.  

Then Tampa is going to downgrade from Drouin to Baertschi to move up 9 spots?  

10 hours ago, Baggins said:

Too much EA in your life.

It makes me angry when I have to upvote Baggins.  

10 hours ago, GarthButcher5 said:

So true. When people ask me who I cheer for I proudly tell them I am a suffering Canucks fan. 

Things can only get better I hope or do they have to still yet worse yet?

Other than devastating injuries or more players leaving for the KHL, what could get worse.  We drop one spot in the standings?  

Please stop trying to trade Tanev, If in everyones opinion 30 other teams would want Tanev, why don't we think we should actually keep him?

I don't think there is any player in this draft that can be a starter for us this upcoming season.

If you must deal Tanev, deal him for a young 1st or 2nd line Center (Duchene, RNH, Draisaitl, Reinhart, Galchenyuk, etc.)  

we already have lots of picks in this draft

11 hours ago, Hortankin said:

TO VAN

Niemi

Nikushkin or a 2018 1st (becomes a 2nd if Dallas fails to make the playoffs)

TO DAL

Tanev

Dallas may just overpay if they want Tanev bad enough.

They were suggesting on  TSN 1040 Podcast that the Canucks should be the ones demanding more from Dallas for Tanev as Tanev is what they want and what they need and that no other available defense man checks all the boxes for Dallas like Tanev does.

11 hours ago, GarthButcher5 said:

So true. When people ask me who I cheer for I proudly tell them I am a suffering Canucks fan. 

Things can only get better I hope or do they have to still yet worse yet?

They could go back to the yellow jersey!

10 hours ago, bp79 said:

How many times must I say this After Garrison was traded Edler was asked if he would have waived? Short answer yes. At the tdl they asked him if he was asked to move? He said no. He was asked would he have? He said he would rather go in the offseason since he has a new family. If A team no longer wants you, and another team does, Its an obvious choice. Unless it is A place I would not want to raise A family. (I'm paraphrasing most of that, but you get the point,) If JB want's him, gone. Good chance he's gone.

So will people please stop saying something about A scenario that happened when Gillis literally gave him his NTC And then 2 weeks later after he bought A house asked him to waive it for Detroit. A city I would not want to raise A family.

What he said was, if a team doesn't want you have to look at it and think about your family. He's never said he would waive. In the same interview he also stated he wants to stay.

Now Vrbata did say if he'd been asked in the offseason he would have waived. You may be confusing the two.

Sorry I don't mean to go off topic but one of the moderators said that this content belonged in one of the other draft post's so I will just copy and paste. I think this one is the closest in content.

Glass half full, glass half empty, a matter of perception.

One way to gauge just how good/bad this draft class is after the top two just about every scouting list has players all over the place.

Now this could mean that all these players are so good there is no difference or there is nothing that they have that is a difference.

As an example the #3 overall pick from various lists Makar - Mittelstadt - Heiskanen - Mittelstadt - Heiskanen - Vilardi ....these players vary from 3 to 10 depending upon the list.

It gets more diverse with each following pick. These estimations are done by professional scouts, that's all their jobs are, no GMing or other things so back to the first sentence, full, empty?

This becomes pertinent to Vancouver with the recent rumours of trading Tanev for the #3 spot and fan perception if Benning trades a pick for a bonafide player.

7 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

I believe the idea was to take on niemi as he has negative value. I think it's still steep and maybe by removing nich it becomes more reasonable. 

Yeah for sure, but I think people forget that Schneider, a top-end goaltender got us a 9th overall pick. What makes anyone think Tanev is worth more, or even as much?

37 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Yeah for sure, but I think people forget that Schneider, a top-end goaltender got us a 9th overall pick. What makes anyone think Tanev is worth more, or even as much?

1 - tanev plus taking on an unwanted contract, not just tanev

2 - goalies are generally worth less

3 - weaker draft class

4 - had Gillis taken Edmonton's offer, the return would have been greater

Not necessarily saying it is a good trade but the value isn't outrageous.

6 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

1 - tanev plus taking on an unwanted contract, not just tanev

2 - goalies are generally worth less

3 - weaker draft class

Not necessarily saying it is a good trade but the value isn't outrageous.

I understand that Niemi has negative value, but I personally value Tanev at around a 10-13 pick on his own. A bad contract doesn't push the value to 3rd OA value in my opinion. I'd argue that a star goaltender like Schneider who had just turned 27 was more valuable than Tanev. The only argument could've been that Schneider had only been tested for as much as 33 games in a season, but he had been a star in all his recent seasons.

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

I understand that Niemi has negative value, but I personally value Tanev at around a 10-13 pick on his own. A bad contract doesn't push the value to 3rd OA value in my opinion. I'd argue that a star goaltender like Schneider who had just turned 27 was more valuable than Tanev. The only argument could've been that Schneider had only been tested for as much as 33 games in a season, but he had been a star in all his recent seasons.

Yes very true about Schneider, again remember that Edmonton supposedly offered their 7th overall pick and a top prospect. That would have been a wayyyy higher value and if Gillis would have taken it, we would not be having this discussion about Schneider "only" getting a 9th overall. 

I think Gillis would have taken Horvat regardless, but am additional top prospect would have been nice. 

As you mentioned, Schneider was fairly untested and although proving to be the best backup in the league, he would be moving into a role with double the starts.

Tanev has proven himself over the past 6 seasons to be exactly what you see on the ice every night. He even did it on the world stage last year. I personally feel that he does have that high tier value as Schneider did, but I completely understand why you feel differently.

On 6/8/2017 at 0:37 AM, Baggins said:

Too much EA in your life.

This.   No way someone gives a #3 position in the draft for a 2 goal, 10 point dman.   Just isn't going to happen.   IF Dallas were to trade that pick to Vancouver, along with a crap goalie contract, they would want Tanev and at least two picks back (seconds) and/or a second rounder and a prospect/young emerger.    

Put it this way, you wouldn't trade the number 5 pick for Dman with less than 10 points if you were the Canucks.

I don't think Philly want to move their pick and if they do, it'd be for another top-10 pick plus a decent player.

The Dallas deal is do-able though, but again I think they'll be hunting for either a trade-down to the mid-1st rounds plus a roster player or a real stud player. I honestly don't think Tanev alone is worth a 3rd overall pick, even in a slim draft, and taking a cap dump doesn't help that much.

With the offers they're probably fielding we'd have to give way more. I'd be thinking we'd have to throw in a forward like Tanev + Granlund for 3rd overall + Lehtonen/whoever + Nichushkin. And quite frankly I wouldn't do that. That being said, drafting Vilardi or potentially Nolan at 3rd overall and Makar or Heiskanen at 5th overall would really re-vamp a rebuild. Too bad it'd happen in one of the weaker drafts in memory.

On 2017-6-9 at 1:51 AM, Mackcanuck said:

Please stop trying to trade Tanev, If in everyones opinion 30 other teams would want Tanev, why don't we think we should actually keep him?

I don't think there is any player in this draft that can be a starter for us this upcoming season.

If you must deal Tanev, deal him for a young 1st or 2nd line Center (Duchene, RNH, Draisaitl, Reinhart, Galchenyuk, etc.)  

we already have lots of picks in this draft

Lol Tanev doesn't get you anywhere near Draisaitl. Offer Tanev and Horvat and you get their attention. Also Galchenyuk and Reinhart haven't proven they can play center in the nhl. Reason the canucks shouldn't keep him is he has high value right now. Without him the canucks likely finish closer to the bottom of the league rather than be a team that misses the playoffs by 6 or 8 points. They'd have a higher chance at the #1 overall in 2018. That would get the canucks their franchise defensemen.

48 minutes ago, HockeydownUnder said:

Lol Tanev doesn't get you anywhere near Draisaitl. Offer Tanev and Horvat and you get their attention. Also Galchenyuk and Reinhart haven't proven they can play center in the nhl. Reason the canucks shouldn't keep him is he has high value right now. Without him the canucks likely finish closer to the bottom of the league rather than be a team that misses the playoffs by 6 or 8 points. They'd have a higher chance at the #1 overall in 2018. That would get the canucks their franchise defensemen.

Lol

Dman Adam Larsson got Taylor Hall from the Coilers, stuff happens

IMHO Tanev is better than or equal to Larrson

Galchenyuk and Reinhart are tremendous center prospects

Dallas is not in that bad a spot with their goalies.  If a deal can't be had, then they can buy one out.  Nichushkin might be a LV knight as there's no guarantee that Dallas will protect him in the ED.

As for the trades I like where you are going getting rid of our most valuable assets in Tanev and Edler as this will kickstart the rebuild.

But all the deals are big wins for the Canucks, if your dealing with mike milbury maybe you get that, prolly not from Jim Nill, Yzerman or Ron hextall tho.  They will all most likely say no to your proposals.

Archived