The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Development Camp 2017 - Updated with roster, schedule

40 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Don't get stuck on the numbers. Subban, McEneny, and Sautner have a fair amount of pro-experience now, this development camp wouldn't help them. I was actually surprised to see Boeser going, as this would be his 3rd camp and he has some time in the NHL. 

My guess is that since he's already in Vancouver, he thought to himself "why not, might as well get some more structured training with the coaches in and some good bonding."

1 hour ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Don't get stuck on the numbers. Subban, McEneny, and Sautner have a fair amount of pro-experience now, this development camp wouldn't help them. I was actually surprised to see Boeser going, as this would be his 3rd camp and he has some time in the NHL. 

They probably want him there in a leadership role and give the other prospects a chance to see how developed his game is.

Thanks for coming out Gaudette,Lockwood, and Rathbone NCAA regulations stipulate players can't be paid or have expenses covered to attend pro camps since they are still classified as amateurs and can't be signed.

Parents or saved money chipping in just so the boys can go to camp for a week and make a good impression.

16 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Thanks for coming out Gaudette,Lockwood, and Rathbone NCAA regulations stipulate players can't be paid or have expenses covered to attend pro camps since they are still classified as amateurs and can't be signed.

Parents or saved money chipping in just so the boys can go to camp for a week and make a good impression.

If only Tim Horton's had sold more dam coffee on Camp Day they'd be going.

In all seriousness though I can't believe you're actually criticizing them (at least I think you are) for not coming. How many NCAA players actually go to their NHL team's prospects camp?

On 6/28/2017 at 0:54 AM, smokes said:

Is Virtanen no longer a prospect? Why isn't he on the roster?

He already has two years of pro experience in NA under his belt. Most of the guys invited are all amateur players with the exception of Boeser, Molino, Carcone and of course Dahlen and Pettersson. Probably the same reason why Subban isn't invited. Though I wounder if Jake and Jordan will be at the Young Stars tourney. 

8 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

In all seriousness though I can't believe you're actually criticizing them (at least I think you are) for not coming. How many NCAA players actually go to their NHL team's prospects camp?

Sounds like Chip is praising them, that they are using their own money to come......................

8 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

29 minutes ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

Sounds like Chip is praising them, that they are using their own money to come......................

The NCAA prospects are on the roster so yeah, looks like chip is giving praise there.

9 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

misread that

1 hour ago, GarthButcher5 said:

What ever happened to Lukas Jasek, I think the only time I've seen him play was the WJC. Seems he never comes to any Canucks camps.

He's come to past development camps. And he's shown quite well when here, as noted in IMac's report from last year's camp:

Through two days, Czech winger Lukas Jasek has been one of the most dynamic players at camp. The 2015 sixth-rounder looks quick and strong with the puck, which is important because his weight is listed as only 165 pounds.

https://www.google.ca/amp/vancouversun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/three-more-mostly-random-thoughts-from-canucks-development-camp/amp

But his Extraliga schedule has always conflicted with the later camps and the YS tournament (plus his old team wasn't very supportive of him coming over here).

On 2017-06-29 at 3:59 PM, Chip Kelly said:

its been said that the Canucks and pretty much most NHL teams do still cover their expenses.  Its just more under the table paying it.   It's been talked about since the Patrick white days.  

21 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

I am looking forward to watching these prospects play at Shawnigan Lake Academy this summer and meeting them at the fundraiser dinner. 

If you would group the prospect pools of NHL teams into 4 classes, let's say Tier 1 / Tier 2 / Tier 3 / Tier 4. What tier would you assign the Canucks prospect pool? I know that for example the Winnipeg Jets prospect pool looks pretty decent. Just curious where the canucks prospect pool is   in comparison to other teams prospect pools. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

36 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

If you would group the prospect pools of NHL teams into 4 classes, let's say Tier 1 / Tier 2 / Tier 3 / Tier 4. What tier would you assign the Canucks prospect pool? I know that for example the Winnipeg Jets prospect pool looks pretty decent. Just curious where the canucks prospect pool is   in comparison to other teams prospect pools. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Tier 2 right now. 

If we are able to draft a superstar quality draft pick next season then that would put us into tier 1 catagory

Archived