The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Canucks and Seabrook

70seven

Hawks fans on HF weren't against the idea of tossing in Schmaltz a few weeks ago when this was brought up. If we could get him out of it I'd do it. Although it is a hefty contract to take on.

Seabrook
Schmaltz 
2018 1st 

for

Erik Gudbranson 
CBJ 2017/18 2nd 

Was the original proposal.

6 minutes ago, theminister said:

It would come down to the expectation of how many years he has left vs the cap retention.

If we think he'll play out the deal, it would need to be near 50% retained. If we expect 4 years then $1.5 mil might be enough. 

Let's say it's Sbisa and the 55th for Seabrook at $5.3 and Schmaltz, Hawks get a cheaper D-man and save  $1.7 mil for one year but are freed up for the following season.

The Canucks could then move Tanev for futures and protect Seebs, Guddy and Eddie. Then take a D at 5th or trade down, or take one with a pick returned from the Tanev trade.

I'd say.... It's not impossible.

Agreed, but that's a lot that'd have to go our way int he deal to make it plausible. And I know Seabrook has current value as a player, but with even with him at $5.3 and maybe an expectation he plays only 4 years I wouldn't want him to be the only return for Sbisa and the 55th. I'd rather keep the pick and find a deal for Tanev regardless (Sbisa can play the off side, even if it's not at Seabrook's level).

1 minute ago, elvis15 said:

Agreed, but that's a lot that'd have to go our way int he deal to make it plausible. And I know Seabrook has current value as a player, but with even with him at $5.3 and maybe an expectation he plays only 4 years I wouldn't want him to be the only return for Sbisa and the 55th. I'd rather keep the pick and find a deal for Tanev regardless (Sbisa can play the off side, even if it's not at Seabrook's level).

Well.. I included Schmaltz. If he can prove out as a C rather than a winger in the NHL then it's another piece. Sbisa has little trade value and the late 2nd is simply an ok asset whereas Schmaltz has a moderately high potential ceiling. 

All I'm suggesting is that there is something worth considering even with Seabrook's contract. The sense of it will be at the cap retention negotiation.

7 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

You do realize he is 32 and under contract for 7 more years at a cap of 6.875 million and an actual salary that is going to be paying him 9 million for the last few years?

No one wants that contract without an incentive to take it. At those numbers, owners will have a say to and as we all know, money talks. 

If you're talking about Seabrook, then his actual salary is $9m for the first 3 years only. It drops every year after 2018/19 until it hits $4.5M in the final year.

5 minutes ago, bad alice french said:

Seabrook would instantly be our best defender and a great partner for Stetcher. He's top pairing on the best team over the last decade. People get so hung up on age these days it's starting to piss me off. You need a mix.

I don't disagree with the premise but Stecher and Seabrook are both RD so they'd play apart.

13 minutes ago, theminister said:

Well.. I included Schmaltz. If he can prove out as a C rather than a winger in the NHL then it's another piece. Sbisa has little trade value and the late 2nd is simply an ok asset whereas Schmaltz has a moderately high potential ceiling. 

All I'm suggesting is that there is something worth considering even with Seabrook's contract. The sense of it will be at the cap retention negotiation.

Oops, saw that at first read then forgot. Too early in the morning and catching up with the Lions and Crusaders rugby game from overnight as well. Again, we agree that it's worth picking up the phone if the Hawks are calling us about him.

8 hours ago, ynwa said:

Wrong end of the age scale for the Canucks future plans. By the time they are competitive he'll be ready to be put to pasture.

Sure but a rebuild doesn't mean every player on your team is under 24, you need vet's to play with the kids. I like the idea of Edler and Seabrook mentoring guys like Stecher and Juolevi. 

But if there's any truth to this TO makes more sense, they are obviously more competitive and have more prospects to go back. Vancouver is probably being dangled as a destination just to  up the return from TO.

How to make an NHL rumour:

Step 1: Find a player who's hometown is in another teams area.

Step 2: Find the excuse (cap move, etc.)

Step 3: Create hints of a reasonable return.

Step 4, Put E5 at the end and try to generate income from your website.

I love Seabrook as a player, but not at that cap hit, and his age. He won't be Canuck. I can see Toronto being stupid and going for him, and Bowman & Co. looking like geniuses again. 

7 hours ago, mll said:

Seabrook's footspeed was exposed vs Nashville.  I don't know if it was the long season but he could not keep up with them.  The league is becoming faster and faster and it's more and more 5 guys in all zones (defending and attacking) and if one can't keep up - it's too much of an advantage for opponents.

This!  Plus the contract!  Plus our phase of rebuild= a big NO!

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

How to make an NHL rumour:

Step 1: Find a player who's hometown is in another teams area.

Step 2: Find the excuse (cap move, etc.)

Step 3: Create hints of a reasonable return.

Step 4, Put E5 at the end and try to generate income from your website.

I love Seabrook as a player, but not at that cap hit, and his age. He won't be Canuck. I can see Toronto being stupid and going for him, and Bowman & Co. looking like geniuses again. 

Bingo. On the + side I like the idea of us not having to play against Seabrook anymore except twice per year. 

4 minutes ago, aliboy said:

JJ on Hockeybuzz is reporting the deal would be Seabrook and Forsling for Tanev and a pick.

We get fleeced in any deal involving Seabrook and Tanev. This is not the definition of "it would take a lot for us to move him". Even If i think we are underrating Seabrook's play a bit in contrast to his contract.

11 minutes ago, Brobidus said:

We get fleeced in any deal involving Seabrook and Tanev. This is not the definition of "it would take a lot for us to move him". Even If i think we are underrating Seabrook's play a bit in contrast to his contract.

JB, TL and company might feel they need a presence like Seabrook to anchor the whole backend. Also, Seabrook has scored some big goals for the Hawks, even if he has been overshadowed by Keith. They may also feel they need to make a move like this after having Tram walk.

4 minutes ago, aliboy said:

JJ on Hockeybuzz is reporting the deal would be Seabrook and Forsling for Tanev and a pick.

Wow JB would get roasted.... While we get Seabrook its basically a wash with Chicago getting the cap relief and it essentially becomes; Tanev and a pick for a guy he gave away.. That would really sting.

Archived