The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

McGregor vs Mayweather August 26th

DoughtysCheck

28 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

rewatched Canelo v Mayweather last night.  Forgot how Mayweather has the ability to walk down his opponents with his shoulder.  I think we will see a lot of that in this fight

I believe that was his last great fight. He put on an absolute clinic. Need to keep in mind that was 4 years ago. Not saying he won't dismantle Conor, but something to remember. 

59 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

I believe that was his last great fight. He put on an absolute clinic. Need to keep in mind that was 4 years ago. Not saying he won't dismantle Conor, but something to remember. 

If Conor shows his boxing/conditioning is even remotely close to Canelo at that time Ill be damn impressed!

You are right tho, that was a clinic.  Can you believe one of teh judges scored it a draw??!! lmao

4 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

That's exactly it, boxing takes 10x the cardio that mma does. Theres not long periods of wrestling or just tiring up an opponent on the mat in boxing... the clinches get broken up quick in Boxing. And there's been fights where guys take 350-400 punches(landed) in a match. That's double what is landed in busy striking mma fights.

You say that as if wrestling is easy and doesn't require energy... You can box much longer than you can wrestle. Humans are much more energy efficient on their feet than in a near full body contraction wrestling another human in a near full body contraction on the floor. The clinches in MMA are also much different than in boxing. A boxing clinch is a rest whereas the clinch in MMA is a tactical position.

As for the aerobic demands of boxing compared to MMA I'd say they are quite different sports from an energy system perspective. A championship/main event MMA match (which Conor always fights) is 5x5 minute rounds with 1 minute between rounds. Whereas boxing is 12x3 minute rounds with 1 minute of rest. So yes, you do have a greater cumulative fight time in boxing (25 vs 36 minutes) but you have more resting in boxing (4 mins in MMA vs 11mins in boxing). Both sports are extremely demanding from an aerobic perspective but are just in a very different layout.

So to break it down into (approximate) percentages there is around 46% more fight time in a 12 round boxing match but there is also ~275% more rest time. So to say that boxing has 10x the aerobic demand than that of MMA is ridiculous.

Conor will have to change his aerobic training strategy to suit boxing but he has more than enough time to do that in his training camp. Fitness will be a non factor. Speed and ability on the other hand will be much more of a detriment to Conor than fitness level.

I agree with what most of Ironman says and just like to add a couple things

he went the distance twice with a triathlete and master grappler. Nate Diaz.

grappling also fundamentally, is always aiming at restricting airflows, blood flows, movement.

not just while in submission or in a given move , while working towards them there is always a knee on your chest , elbow in your throat , hand covering your face.

it would be incredibly draining, to say boxing takes 10x more cardio is ridiculous, there is a reason MMA fights are not 12 rounds....(that may not be it, but it feels logical)

i don't actually care what one is more draining. i imagine when your at the top level , both are very very hard.

Either way i don't feel it will be a huge factor at all and if it becomes a smaller factor it will be later in the fight, i don't suspect Mayweather will last that long.

i have always felt Connor was ahead of the curve. Hes known something we all don't for a very long time.

as Technically he should have been dismantled by many opponents already. 

i have this feeling in the back of my mind , this is the worlds biggest sports honey dicking of all time and he is straight gonna knock this old man into next week.

I've got One eye on this situation at all times.

Let me know if any of you get that Honey dicking feeling from this situation also

Cheers

theres been reports in past that he leaked footage , bad footage of himself boxing to bait mayweather into even taking the fight.

1 hour ago, VanCityE said:

I agree with what most of Ironman says and just like to add a couple things

he went the distance twice with a triathlete and master grappler. Nate Diaz.

grappling also fundamentally, is always aiming at restricting airflows, blood flows, movement.

not just while in submission or in a given move , while working towards them there is always a knee on your chest , elbow in your throat , hand covering your face.

it would be incredibly draining, to say boxing takes 10x more cardio is ridiculous, there is a reason MMA fights are not 12 rounds....(that may not be it, but it feels logical)

i don't actually care what one is more draining. i imagine when your at the top level , both are very very hard.

Either way i don't feel it will be a huge factor at all and if it becomes a smaller factor it will be later in the fight, i don't suspect Mayweather will last that long.

i have always felt Connor was ahead of the curve. Hes known something we all don't for a very long time.

as Technically he should have been dismantled by many opponents already. 

i have this feeling in the back of my mind , this is the worlds biggest sports honey dicking of all time and he is straight gonna knock this old man into next week.

I've got One eye on this situation at all times.

Let me know if any of you get that Honey dicking feeling from this situation also

Cheers

theres been reports in past that he leaked footage , bad footage of himself boxing to bait mayweather into even taking the fight.

Uh wut...he was choked out in the 1st fight...in the 2nd round...against someone who had 10 days notice and was getting hammed in Mexico prior to getting the call. 

he got choked out by Nate Diaz , Black Belt Gracie

He should have lost many of his fights, He probably underestimated the Diaz Heart and thought they were all talk like everyone else.

he still came back and beat one of my favs Nate in the second match, Avenging his only loss .

i Stick to my theory 

Conor is Honey Dicking the world and is gonna knock Floyd into next week

the man cant handle his punch, hes only gotta hit him once

2 hours ago, VanCityE said:

he got choked out by Nate Diaz , Black Belt Gracie

He should have lost many of his fights, He probably underestimated the Diaz Heart and thought they were all talk like everyone else.

he still came back and beat one of my favs Nate in the second match, Avenging his only loss .

i Stick to my theory 

Conor is Honey Dicking the world and is gonna knock Floyd into next week

the man cant handle his punch, hes only gotta hit him once

Want to bet on that???

Lets all keep in mind, when he fought Canelo, Canelo was basically the exact size/body type McGregor is. The fight was at a 154 catch weight, fight day May weighed in at 150 and Canelo was pushing 165 (also 5'9). The extra size and weight made no difference. 

1 hour ago, RRypien37 said:

Want to bet on that???

Lets all keep in mind, when he fought Canelo, Canelo was basically the exact size/body type McGregor is. The fight was at a 154 catch weight, fight day May weighed in at 150 and Canelo was pushing 165 (also 5'9). The extra size and weight made no difference. 

Conor stands a puncher's chance. What Conor has going for him is his style will be unorthodox compared to what Mayweather has faced before and FM is years removed from his last fight. Other than that - all is in Floyd's favour.

sorry im fairly new and havnt figured out how to reply to an exact post 

but betting or cheering for mcgregor in general seems about as appealing as trying to chew off my own left nut.

im not a fan, i could go on an on about how i have wonderful insite for many given reasons i wont.

i never thought he stood a chance against diaz or aldo.

im partial to the diaz boys , war diaz , not a fan of aldo just respect him

you cant bs those fights , or get lucky. he is a reaction fighter, from what i hear so is mayweather.

nate is slick as butter on the ground, and ive seen him literally drag his own leg around it was so busted up .

either diaz is war, its not an easy notch, you could pick endless guys who will make you more famous and an easier match.

you go after diaz, aldo , a rematch with diaz , knowing something others dont. or your just stupid hes never proven that yet.

i dont think mayweather has any threats, the shoulder thing, he cant hurt mcgregor, 

if you want my honest opinion.

one of two things happens, mayweather is truly this gad of boxing mcgregor cant hit him or touch him , gets his ass handed to him, never wins a round ,everyone basically boos the spectical and its a $&!# show.

or MacG knows something we dont , can hit mayweather , only needs one and its over somewhere in the first three after finding his distance ? not even sure if he needs to.

he literally could knock mayweather out in the first

Mayweather may be old but he's a savvy vet with speed. Im going with bodyshot KO or doctor stoppage from a cut. 

Connors mistaken if he thinks Floyds going to change his game plan for him and for those who think Floyd has trouble with southpaws..49-0. 

August 26th 50-0 surpassing Rocky Marciano.

On 7/20/2017 at 8:06 PM, RRypien37 said:

Want to bet on that???

He weighed in at 152...

http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/9670181/floyd-mayweather-canelo-alvarez-easily-make-weight-ahead-saturday-megafight

I'm not an expert but when I was younger I was into Tae Kwon Do for a few years.  I remember how hard it was on my body and how much extra energy I had to put into the kicking versus just the punching.  Like I said I'm no expert but common sense would tell me it takes alot more cardio and endurance to use your arms and your legs at the same time then just your arms.

The reason I'm bringing this up is because people are saying Conor will run out of gas after a few rounds like he does in MMA.  I'll let the fight be the judge of that but in my opinion he won't be using as much energy in the boxing ring as in MMA as he won't be using his legs other than moving around and he won't be clinching to the point where he's trying to take someone down or trying to not have someone else take him down.  I can only imagine the energy it took to try and stop a 170-180 pound Diaz from trying to take him down for 5 rounds.  It that fight was simply boxing I think Conor would have eventually Ko'd Diaz it if went a few more rounds and he didn't have to worry about Diaz taking him down.  Remember the whole fight plan of Conor was to stay upright with Diaz, get a few shots in, and then move back so Diaz couldn't take him down.  With Mayweather he doesn't have to worry about that.  He just has to worry about his hands and counter punching.

Conor doesn't seem to get alot of credit for his counter punching skills.  I mean look what he did to Aldo, it was the perfect counter punch as Aldo was coming in on him.  He timed it perfectly.  Obviously with Mayweather he's gonna have a way tougher time of trying to catch him so that is where Conor could get into alot or trouble if he can't get to Mayweather.

This fight is either gonna be Conor chasing Mayweather for 12 rounds to try and take him out, Mayweather effectively counter punching and getting enough shots in to really hurt Conor and possibly end it before 12 rounds, or Conor getting lucky with a left counter punch ala Aldo and finishing Mayweather off in under 5 rounds.

21 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

At FIGHT time. 

If you're so confident in your boy, put your money where you mouth is? How much you want to bet???

I never actually said Conor would win.  Read my prior posts and show me where I said that.  He will take out Ferguson, Dos Anjos, your boy Holloway and the Russian dude any day of the week, so we can always bet on those if you want.  I don't know who will win this actual boxing match.  This is unchartered territory for Conor.  All I know for sure is if Conor gets lucky with a hard left counter punch it could be over for Mayweather sooner than you think.

38 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

I never actually said Conor would win.  Read my prior posts and show me where I said that.  He will take out Ferguson, Dos Anjos, your boy Holloway and the Russian dude any day of the week, so we can always bet on those if you want.  I don't know who will win this actual boxing match.  This is unchartered territory for Conor.  All I know for sure is if Conor gets lucky with a hard left counter punch it could be over for Mayweather sooner than you think.

Ferguson, Holloway and Nurmagomedov all beat McTapp.  

1 hour ago, RRypien37 said:

Ferguson, Holloway and Nurmagomedov all beat McTapp.  

The Russian dude has to show up first, doesn't he back out of almost every fight?  Ferguson is getting old and couldn't even knock out Dos Anjos.  Your boy Holloway needs to keep eating his Wheaties if he ever wants a chance to touch McGregor, boy is he skinny.  Aldo with his wimpy right hand almost knocked him out.  Imagine if that was McGregor's left hand...  

Archived