The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Interesting comments by Doughty on playing for the Leafs

The reality is that there are only a small fraction of top players that ever make the effort of going back home. Most franchise players sign long term deals with the team that drafted them rather than chase free agency. Security matters to hockey players especially as careers can be seriously hampered in the blink of an eye. They have also put down roots with their families which are even harder to uproot. They can dream about coming home but in most cases it just isn't the practical choice. Sadly for all the talent that Canada produces most of it will end up playing down south.

44 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

LA is not a hockey city. Why do they have 2 cups?

Because they had a combination of great management and luck.

The Stanley Cup winning team isn't necessarily the best team, but they are the team that persevered the most. I see the Stanley Cup more as a battle of attrition.

I would be pretty PO'd if Horvat or Tanev came out and said in the media that they "secretly" want to play for the Leafs. Disrespectful to the organization that made him a millionaire, and the fans. Sounds to me like he knows the Kings are going downhill and he's planting a seed that he wants to be traded to a rebuilding team with Matthews at the helm.

1 hour ago, Where's Wellwood said:

I absolutely believe that Doughty could walk around in LA and not be noticed. I was in LA during the playoffs one year and saw maybe one hat and nothing else. 

LA is not a hockey city. Why do they have 2 cups?

Perhaps because they don't have the "psycho ex" vibe that canadian franchises have. Look around this forum year by year and see all the angry fans who "have a right" to be loud obnoxious jerks because they "support the team" by tearing it down all the time. No one wants to deal with that crap.

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I find it most interesting that he added most guys DO NOT want to play in TO because they lose their privacy.

how do you find it surprising? You've been on this forum for a while. You see the way we act as a fanbase. And this city is much smaller than toronto.

17 minutes ago, butters said:

how do you find it surprising? You've been on this forum for a while. You see the way we act as a fanbase. And this city is much smaller than toronto.

I accept we are fanatics, but I don't think any of us here go hunting for the players, do we?

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I accept we are fanatics, but I don't think any of us here go hunting for the players, do we?

some do, the adult autograph seekers who sometimes complain when a player doesn't pretend they are an old friend. But no doubt the players also here about the pitchfork brigades that are instigated by the media and then echoed by the rabid fan base. And, you don't think they get things yelled at them in the streets?

1 minute ago, butters said:

some do, the adult autograph seekers who sometimes complain when a player doesn't pretend they are an old friend. But no doubt the players also here about the pitchfork brigades that are instigated by the media and then echoed by the rabid fan base. And, you don't think they get things yelled at them in the streets?

You mean like this fan?

Franchise Norris-winning defencemen generally don't leave their team unless:

A.  Significant assets are going the other way (which usually destroys any possibility of a move)

B.  The player ages to the point where he is no longer that same franchise Norris-winning defenceman anymore

So in other words, Doughty is a King, and will be for quite a long time.

5 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

And Price, Weber, Lucic, Kane, Johansen, Turris, Gallagher...

Yup  same goes for Vancouver.  Also, Niedermayer, Kariya 

Now not all of them were ever available, but there were opportunities at times for some of them to make a deal to come here.

Archived