The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Las Vegas is going to have a better team than the Canucks...

bloodycanuckleheads

1 minute ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

That's what I would do. Snag as many good deal tweeners and vets in the expansion draft.. stay away from bad contracts and sell em off at the deadlines while your young players develop.

If McPhee isn't planning on doing that then he shouldn't be a GM

He's selling them immediately before the entry draft.  McPhee wants draft picks and young prospects - he already said that he plans on moving several of the players he will be picking.

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

You think PIT won't retain Shultz after the role he played this season replacing Letang?  I wouldn't expose him over anyone but Letang and possibly Maata.

I'm sure Vegas couldn't fit these guys under their cap and might be moved before they get a shot at them anyway.

Plus as mentioned by another poster I think one guy from each team can only be chosen.

Big picture though Vegas will still have a better team than Vancouver bottom line.

4 hours ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

They will be better than the Canucks as a lot of the players they pick up will be better than the AHL garbage the nucks have had to throw out there. That said, as others have pointed out they wont have a lot of depth for a few years and while better than Vancouver it wont be by much. 

Except none of there players will have earned loyalty or have a ntc/nmc so to add future depth a few good trades at the right time and depth will fine. Not to mention the draft position. They will be building from a position of strength not desperation.  

6 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

I'm sure Vegas couldn't fit these guys under their cap and might be moved before they get a shot at them anyway.

Plus as mentioned by another poster I think one guy from each team can only be chosen.

Big picture though Vegas will still have a better team than Vancouver bottom line.

Yep.  One guy only, sophomores are excluded and don't require protection, and if Vegas signs a pending UFA that counts as a pick from the last team that player played on.  So if they sign Alzner from Washington for example, then that's their pick from that team.  They need twenty players under contract for next season and have to reach the cap floor which won't be a problem as they have shown intention to take one a couple bad contracts with benifits from as of yet unnamed teams (please be LE ha ha).

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yep.  One guy only, sophomores are excluded and don't require protection, and if Vegas signs a pending UFA that counts as a pick from the last team that player played on.  So if they sign Alzner from Washington for example, then that's their pick from that team.  They need twenty players under contract for next season and have to reach the cap floor which won't be a problem as they have shown intention to take one a couple bad contracts with benifits from as of yet unnamed teams (please be LE ha ha).

The TSN build Las Vegas simulator will be really fun once the protection lists are official after Sunday.

14 minutes ago, butters said:

Universal rule - anyone who thinks that they can predict the future is a fool.

We do nothing exciting at the draft. Then we listen to the fans whine about how they should have picked someone different. Ice the same team as last year with a few young players making the team.  Draft at fifth again next year.

Oh, you said we can't predict the future!:o

On 6/4/2017 at 8:03 PM, 70seven said:

Clearly some of these names wont be available, but...  

Perron - Stepan - Ryan

Zucker - Shipachyov - Stempniak

Killorn - Jenner - Armia

Abdelkader - Sissons - Clutterbuck

Eakin

Chiasson

K. Rychel

Sorenson

Weal

Dillon  van Reimsdyk

Beaulieu  K. Miller

Sbisa  Petrovic

McNabb

Pouliot

Reinhart

Varlamov

Grubauer

Ullmark

Wedgewood

Who is 43 - Kane?

1 hour ago, mll said:

He's selling them immediately before the entry draft.  McPhee wants draft picks and young prospects - he already said that he plans on moving several of the players he will be picking.

That means that he could be drafting certain players on behalf of other teams. Seems dirty.

ok first off I do not think they will be better then us as some teams not all will give up draft picks to keep players and offer them to take other players

New coach here who does know what management wants as Willie did what he wanted and we suffered

We will be better but not by much and Vegas may be close to us but I doubt they will be better

10 hours ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Vegas is going to be a lot better than anyone realizes.

Let's just take a look back at what happened last expansion draft and what we can expect this time...

10 hours ago, cyoung said:

They will hold their own in year one. But keep in mind, they will not have any depth, creating that depth will take a while

10 hours ago, HKSR said:

I'm not sure if I can agree that they would be CONSIDERABLY better than the Canucks, but they would definitely be competitive. 

Don't forget it'll also take time for the Vegas team to gel and build chemistry, and also to learn new systems under a new coach.  We're talking a bunch of players from all over the place being put together and expected to compete in the top league in the world.  It'll take time.

Good analysis by the OP. I agree that Vegas will be able to draft a decent team. They will have good goaltending right away. On D, if they pick 9  #4 Ds they will have a lot of depth. How many teams have 9 guys who are legitimate top 4 D-men. Certainly not the Canucks. They will of course lack a legitimate top pairing, but that is also true of the Canucks. And a lot of those guys will be young enough (including RFAs) to give them time to add depth through the draft, starting with high first and second round picks this year. And Vegas has indicated an intention to try to acquire prospects and/or picks through trades.

As for chemistry, I not sure the Canucks will have such an advantage. Chemistry is not just a matter of playing together. At the start of last year it was hoped and expected that Eriksson and the Sedins would have chemistry and that Hutton and Gudbranson would have good chemistry, but neither of those things worked out.

On the other hand, guys who are a good fit for each other can develop chemistry pretty quickly. For example, Baertschi and Horvat showed pretty good chemistry shortly after they were put together and Tanev has shown good chemistry with pretty much anyone he is paired with pretty quickly.

I am not saying that Vegas will have good chemistry right out of the gate, but with smart selection in the expansion draft and good coaching there is nothing stopping them having a good team game 20 or 25 games into the season, especially if they play simple systems.

I am not saying Vegas will challenge for the Cup in their first year. They are unlikely to make the playoffs. But, as the OP says, they are unlikely to be the worst team in the league. 

A smart strategy would be to bias their choices heavily toward younger players and make trades for younger players and picks even if that means putting a weaker team on the ice next year. The fans will be so pleased by the novelty of just having a team that losing won't be a big problem. Vegas can look forward to a high pick again next year. That would give them a strong base for future development. If I were a Vegas fan I would be pretty happy right now.

I sincerely expect them to be better than bottom three. I'd guess they'll have a better roster than us for sure, but they'll need to gel first. Early on, they'll be at about our level, but as the season progresses, they might improve and surprise a lot of people. I wouldn't even be surprised to see them break out of the bottom five.

Archived