The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Las Vegas is going to have a better team than the Canucks...

bloodycanuckleheads

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

At this point the guys that felt the NHL made a mistake and didn't go to Quebec instead have some strong points to Vegas hockey not doing so well.

A lot of people visit Vegas,  but their core population is around 2 million and their football, baseball, Basketball fans first, with a small demographic existing that watches hockey on TV, mostly imports.  

One of their biggest challenges is the large majority of the work force is at work during normal home game times.  They've worked on changing start times to afternoon games in hopes fans will watch before work, who knows how that will play out.

In the end they have to make fans for life and not rely on tourists watching games because the for comped and have nothing better to do at two in the afternoon.

This isn't Canada where people are nuts about hockey, Vegas has money and the building, but the market isn't a sure thing no matter what Bettman and the Knights are pushing.

And yes Vegas as a distraction was also on the table for reason enough to stay away.  Fluery s gambling was so bad in NYR when he was making over a million a month, and gambling it all late at night..he was the biggest reason why those stacked teams couldn't get it together, his frantic behavior spilled onto the ice, who knows what it was doing behind closed doors.

43 million people visited Vegas last year and spent $35 Billion. The 2 million core population is significant but not the key market. Professional sports are all looking at Vegas as a market worth chasing. The NHL is simply leading the charge. A Vegas franchise can be leveraged into every other NHL city. It raises NHL hockey in USA media across the country. 

Quebec City is not even a secondary market. It could fill a role if Carolina folds. Quebec as a province does not even pull its own weight. It unabashedly takes $11 billion a year in equalization payments and has taken this money for decades. I have no interest in supporting this process even more.   

It's going to take a while for so many new bodies to gel and get good together.It's also a very distracting city for the athletes as well. The Canucks don't look as good on paper but at least they have some sort of direction. Who is going to be the leader in LV has yet to be determined. I think it will take a while for the team to get things going just because of the newness of everything and the hype of LV.

The National Hokey League is doing everything in their grasp to ensure Vegas is competitive right out the gate.  They want to create a fan base through success before the NFL and possibly the NBA arrives, the lure of a club in Sin City is all important to them. They can't wait to hold their first GM meetings there no doubt.  I think Vancouver is lined up to play them in the first game Vegas plays.  An established club should walk all over them but I highly doubt it and put money on it who Bettman and his cronies are cheering for.

Based on the released protection lists (and barring any side deals), Vegas will not only have a better team than the Canucks, they may have one of the most balanced teams in the entire league! Might be worth a gamble at those high Stanley Cup odds (pun intended!).

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

43 million people visited Vegas last year and spent $35 Billion. The 2 million core population is significant but not the key market. Professional sports are all looking at Vegas as a market worth chasing. The NHL is simply leading the charge. A Vegas franchise can be leveraged into every other NHL city. It raises NHL hockey in USA media across the country. 

Quebec City is not even a secondary market. It could fill a role if Carolina folds. Quebec as a province does not even pull its own weight. It unabashedly takes $11 billion a year in equalization payments and has taken this money for decades. I have no interest in supporting this process even more.   

Wow anti frachaphone remarks on a hockey site, that's ok I do understand where your coming from.  However  Quebec City is a slam dunk as far as future expansion goes.  Like WNP they are starved for a franchise and meet the three requirements the league looks for when expanding.  Their market would and will do better than Vegas, it's just a matter of time.  Seattle is also in the radar, but my money goes to the Nordiques as being the 32 team within the next couple years.  Small market team yes, but they have been waiting for a decade to get something going and are so fanatical about it, next time it happens the economy won't be enough to shut them down.

nhl.jpg.43b2703ddd7017c4471f91cb4a22509b.jpg

This is from before Winterpeg. They've already lost Atlanta. Las Vegas is important in more than one way to the NHL. They might help get that elusive big TV contract in the States that they've been chasing for a long time. Seattle would also help with their American growth.

Not initially but give it 2-3 years and they'll be in the playoff race, LV will chase for the cup before the franchise folds or moves since pro sports doesn't seem to last long in sin city.

4 hours ago, Johnny Shotgun said:

The National Hokey League is doing everything in their grasp to ensure Vegas is competitive right out the gate.  They want to create a fan base through success before the NFL and possibly the NBA arrives, the lure of a club in Sin City is all important to them. They can't wait to hold their first GM meetings there no doubt.  I think Vancouver is lined up to play them in the first game Vegas plays.  An established club should walk all over them but I highly doubt it and put money on it who Bettman and his cronies are cheering for.

It's no surprise their very first game isn't against ANA, it would have to be Vancouver or Arirzona.  I hope we get a shut out and Virtanen puts three of four of them through a wall.

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

It's no surprise their very first game isn't against ANA, it would have to be Vancouver or Arirzona.  I hope we get a shut out and Virtanen puts three of four of them through a wall.

Nice.  An 8-1 pummeling by Vancouver coupled with that might send Bettman scurrying off into the night before dawn. We have to find the lair. We need more stakes.

Schipayov is going to steal all the headlines. Take all the nice players from the ED you want but he'll be their best player. Dominant in the KHL, he'll end up their first line center. With the ability to pick so many young good players and get 5 first round picks, the Knights will be dominant in about 2-3 years time. I expect them to be a 9-11th team in the Conference in their first year and then in the playoffs in 3-5 years time, maybe even contending in 5.

16 hours ago, Hortankin said:

Neal Staal Oshie

------- ------- Boedker

------- Helm Yakupov

------- ------- Strome

Fleury/Luongo

Subban

So many options at D. They won't be a bad team at all

Put together a quick list....I would say that LV will be better than the Canucks in year one and onward.

They also have a top 3 pick (lottery odds) in the next 3 drafts.

However, they do need to build their farm team.

Canucks - Sbisa                                Leafs - Boyle                             Blackhawks - Oduya

Flames - Brouwer                             Senators - Methot                      Redwings - Dman

Sharks - Dillon                                  Habs - Radulov                          Predators - Neale

Ducks - Vatanen                                Penguins - Fluery                      Blue jackets - J. Johnson

Kings - McNabb                                 Rangers - Rannta                     Bolts - Dman

Coyotes - Dman ?                             Islanders - Nelson                    Panthers - Marshessault

Stars - Eakin                                       Devils - Cammalleri                   Wild - Staal

Avs -  Grigorenko                               Capitals - Oshie                         Blues - Yakupov  

Oilers - Reinhart                                 Hurricanes - Dman                   Flyers - Dman

Jets - Enstrom                                    Bruins - Belesky                      Sabres - Bogosian

Neale - Staal - Oshie

Yakupov - Cammalleri - Radulov

Belesky -  Nelson - Marshessault

Eakin - Boyle - Brouwer

Vatanen - Methot

Bogosian - Oduya

J. Johnson - McNabb

Reinhart - Enstrom

Fluery/ Rannta

1 hour ago, Pete M said:

Put together a quick list....I would say that LV will be better than the Canucks in year one and onward.

They also have a top 3 pick (lottery odds) in the next 3 drafts.

However, they do need to build their farm team.

Canucks - Sbisa                                Leafs - Boyle                             Blackhawks - Oduya

Flames - Brouwer                             Senators - Methot                      Redwings - Dman

Sharks - Dillon                                  Habs - Radulov                          Predators - Neale

Ducks - Vatanen                                Penguins - Fluery                      Blue jackets - J. Johnson

Kings - McNabb                                 Rangers - Rannta                     Bolts - Dman

Coyotes - Dman ?                             Islanders - Nelson                    Panthers - Marshessault

Stars - Eakin                                       Devils - Cammalleri                   Wild - Staal

Avs -  Grigorenko                               Capitals - Oshie                         Blues - Yakupov  

Oilers - Reinhart                                 Hurricanes - Dman                   Flyers - Dman

Jets - Enstrom                                    Bruins - Belesky                      Sabres - Bogosian

Neale - Staal - Oshie

Yakupov - Cammalleri - Radulov

Belesky -  Nelson - Marshessault

Eakin - Boyle - Brouwer

Vatanen - Methot

Bogosian - Oduya

J. Johnson - McNabb

Reinhart - Enstrom

Fluery/ Rannta

Why the heck did Florida not protect Marshesault?  30 goal scorers are rare enough let alone from cheap young guys...they are going to have two scoring lines that across the boards look like two 1b lines or excellent second lines, plus two more lines that can chip in.   Plus their top four defenseman match up with most in the league already....wow.

On 6/18/2017 at 0:52 PM, Creepy Crawler said:

Not initially but give it 2-3 years and they'll be in the playoff race, LV will chase for the cup before the franchise folds or moves since pro sports doesn't seem to last long in sin city.

You forgot to add Vegas will see the playoffs before we will again with this mismanagement.

The Expansion Draft is starting in a few minutes, so I thought I should check the final sentiment here (before people get the chance to re-write history)...

I have 7 up-votes for starting this post - and the first comment has 15 (for disagreeing with me).  So, that means that more than 2 out of 3 forum members think that the Nucks are going to beat Vegas next year.  Pretty decisive.  68.2%.

I think the majority of you are going to be pretty surprised in a couple hours!  It's going to be far more disgusting than I thought.  The team they are going to have (once this all plays out) is gonna be so much better than us, it's not even funny.  The Expansion Draft is just the beginning too.  They're going to have so many tradeable assets, they could assemble a decent team just from that.  So, their team is only going to get better and better over the next few months.

They aren't just going to be better than us next season - they're going to beat us by like 20+ points!  And, worse yet, they're going to be deeper than our team and have a much better prospect-pool too.

17 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

The Expansion Draft is starting in a few minutes, so I thought I should check the final sentiment here (before people get the chance to re-write history)...

I have 7 up-votes for starting this post - and the first comment has 15 (for disagreeing with me).  So, that means that more than 2 out of 3 forum members think that the Nucks are going to beat Vegas next year.  Pretty decisive.  68.2%.

I think the majority of you are going to be pretty surprised in a couple hours!  It's going to be far more disgusting than I thought.  The team they are going to have (once this all plays out) is gonna be so much better than us, it's not even funny.  The Expansion Draft is just the beginning too.  They're going to have so many tradeable assets, they could assemble a decent team just from that.  So, their team is only going to get better and better over the next few months.

They aren't just going to be better than us next season - they're going to beat us by like 20+ points!  And, worse yet, they're going to be deeper than our team and have a much better prospect-pool too.

The big question is why is this sooooooo important to you, bloodycanucklehead?  Ooops, the jig is up eh?

Archived