The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Officer who shot Philando Castile found not guilty

Toews

3 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Then don't talk about it.  Why should we value your opinion on OTHER cases?  We are not talking about other cases.

Because people were making very generalized statements about the behaviour of cops in this thread. Not everyone. I didn't accuse EVERYONE in this thread of having such opinions. I just felt it needed to be said, that not every shooting is a bad shooting. And just because a news organization that has a vested interest in outrageous stories tells you something and shows you a significantly small fraction of the evidence in an incident, doesn't mean what they are telling you is correct or objective. I'd trust ANY court ruling over ANYTHING I hear otherwise from a news source. These aren't the brightest people you know. Pretty faces reading off of teleprompters. Remember that.

It's really not a hard concept to understand.... when police tells you to do something, you do it.  Especially if they have their guns drawn.

Don't walk towards them, don't try to grab your cellphone, don't try to be extra helpful by pulling out your wallet or registration or whatever unless you've been instructed to do so.  It's not the best time to assert yourself or whatnot. 

I mean.... anyone remember Terrence Crutcher.... a guy driving erratically along a highway.  Got out and walked around even though the female officer told him to stay put.  Then he walked back towards to his driver side window to reach something and then the cop shot him.  One very inopportune time to be taking drugs and driving..... the officer was immediately thrown under the bus by the mayor and justice department.... but has been found not-guilty. 

It's terrible that we live in a world and society where violence becomes a very likely possibility when there are encounters between cops and civilians, but while you cannot predict what a cop would do... you certainly do everything in your powers to make sure the cop won't shoot you. 

6 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

It's really not a hard concept to understand.... when police tells you to do something, you do it.  Especially if they have their guns drawn.

Don't walk towards them, don't try to grab your cellphone, don't try to be extra helpful by pulling out your wallet or registration or whatever unless you've been instructed to do so.  It's not the best time to assert yourself or whatnot. 

I mean.... anyone remember Terrence Crutcher.... a guy driving erratically along a highway.  Got out and walked around even though the female officer told him to stay put.  Then he walked back towards to his driver side window to reach something and then the cop shot him.  One very inopportune time to be taking drugs and driving..... the officer was immediately thrown under the bus by the mayor and justice department.... but has been found not-guilty. 

It's terrible that we live in a world and society where violence becomes a very likely possibility when there are encounters between cops and civilians, but while you cannot predict what a cop would do... you certainly do everything in your powers to make sure the cop won't shoot you. 

How white. Here's a black social worker being shot while 100% complying with the police:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/world/florida-police-shoot-black-therapist-with-hands-raised-1.2995503

Get you a nice expensive lawyer and you'll get away with almost anything. 

I get where AirCool is coming from, but this particular story I recall having a ton of question marks. Likely more so to do with inadequate police training.

2 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

How white. Here's a black social worker being shot while 100% complying with the police:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/world/florida-police-shoot-black-therapist-with-hands-raised-1.2995503

They accidentally shot him.  They were going for the other guy. 

This is just a very bad situation where the officers couldn't hear exactly what the social worker was saying... and the autistic individual was handling a toy truck that appeared to look like a gun from far distance. 

From the police angle... you see some guy just lying in the middle of the street yelling... and another individual beside him carrying what looks like a gun and not being responsive. 

This isn't the cop on a power trip, nothing racially motivated (one of the cop was a black woman), etc.  That was just an unfortunate situation. 

1 hour ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Yeah, you know what? Go &^@# yourself.

If you followed this trial and the evidence closely, this response is ok by me. Many would base their opinion on the word of hammer wielding, facebook druggy. If that's the case...lol.

12 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Watch the video, it was the latter, by the way, both instances should not end up with the person getting shot.  

If you lived in the US, had a partner and children at home and a person reached into their clothing, completely disobeying an obvious command, what would you do?

serious question.

7 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Qft

And a reality that most can't or refuse to grasp.

if I was in the US and a cop pulled me over, the situation would become that of survival.  It would not be a time for me to assert my rights or go into special snowflake mode.  I would be 100% complying with every command.

the cop gets what he's after: 

job done if he's a normal human.  Power trip accomplished if he's a typical cop and I live to go back to Canada.

1 hour ago, riffraff said:

If you lived in the US, had a partner and children at home and a person reached into their clothing, completely disobeying an obvious command, what would you do?

serious question.

First off, the victim was attempting to follow the officers commands when he was shot.  

He identified that he was carrying and has a permit in an Open Carry state.  

Other than a tail light on the car, the occupants where law abiding, the person shot was the passenger. 

I work very closely with law enforcement on the sharp end.  As a Paramedic I understand the risk that is present when going on a call. I luckily don't have to arrest people that don't want to be arrested.  But I also don't have a gun either. (Side note, now Paramedics are being armed in states. Where does it stop?) 

I watched the video the day that it was posted (the day it happened).  I have followed the Castillo case.  

Also the Treyvon Martin case where it is legal to kill a black kid in a hoody that was minding his own business if you are a scared white guy that was stalking the kid at the time. 

The 12 y/o that was shot in Cleveland while on a playground.  In that case the police opened fire after 12 seconds.  The kid was never even given a chance to comply.  Added to that the D.A. presented the defence case at the Grand Jury.  If you know anything about the US legal system, you would understand how corrupt that is. 

the shopper that was gunned down in Walmart while carrying a BB gun that he was trying to buy. Gunned down by AR15's within seconds of police being onscene. 

the guy that was shot in his backyard while being tazed because he couldn't  move his hands, because he was getting tazed,

the special needs care worker was shot while calming the autistic man in his care who was having a breakdown. 

the kid that was shot in a drive thru because they were ordering a burger....  the list unfortunately is endless. 

The officer was scared and shot without cause. He killed a youth worker in front of his girlfriend and her young son, who was sitting directly behind the victim. The boy could have also been shot by accident. 

There is a failure in the US in the polictical system, legal system, economic system and the police are becoming a military force above the law when shooting people with out justification.  

The officer made a mistake and someone was killed as a direct result. The US system allows for police to use deadly force in otherwise non violent situations.  The fear that seems to be the driving force behind these shootings is largerly unjustified as the number of officer shootings is relatively low.  

It's a dangerous job and we all want to go home at night but so did Castillo, who was minding his own business obeying the law.  At some point the police in general in the US forgot to serve and protect and is now shoot first and ask questions later. 

There is another dark aspect to the majority of deadly police shootings against un armed people, the people being shot are overwhelmingly African American males.  

There is no real justification for the shooting of Castillo, who broke no laws and was complying with directions. Chances are that if he was White, he would be alive today. 

EmW

9 hours ago, Lancaster said:

You realize that you are talking with a privlage that you take for granted. 

You live in in a nation that has a peace keeping police force, not a militarized police state. 

Also, based on your comments I can only derive that you have a case of white privilage.  Your opinion of being stopped for a minor traffic violation might change substantially if you grew up in say Atlanta and happened to be African American.  

I can travel freely in many places because I am a white male.  I don't need to fear police as they are there to protect me.  Would I feel the same if I was a First Nation person in Canada, no. Nor would I feel the same if I was a black man in the US. 

My cousin is engaged to a extraordinary young man, a concert pianist with his masters in classical music. He is African American.  When he drives from his middle class family home in Atlanta to come north he fuels up before leaving Atlanta.  He empties his bladder, makes sure that absolutely all his lights work, his insurance, licence and registration are all in plain view so he never has to reach for anything if he is ever stopped and then he drives 5 miles below the speed limit until he reaches the northern states without stopping for any reason unless pulled over by police below the Mason Dixie line. 

I have never ever had to experience that and to discount the reality of being a law abiding black male in America is ignorant.

In the case of many of these shootings, the police were not justified to use deadly force and were not held accountable.  Not all, but most.  

Archived