The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Officer who shot Philando Castile found not guilty

Toews

2 hours ago, Canorth said:

He shot him 7 times... with his wife and child in the car. 

Why would a guy disclose that he has a license to carry and has a weapon on him, then reach for the gun to shoot the cop??? 

When cops shoot... they're always shooting to kill.  Standard procedure.

When a cop tells you not to reach, don't reach.  Sounds very simple to understand.   

Content below very violent....

An extreme example, but this is why you have to listen to the police when they pull you over, etc.  Lots of crazies out there and you don't know if one of the person you pulled over is one of them. 

4 hours ago, Lancaster said:

When cops shoot... they're always shooting to kill.  Standard procedure.

When a cop tells you not to reach, don't reach.  Sounds very simple to understand.   

Content below very violent....

Reveal hidden contents

An extreme example, but this is why you have to listen to the police when they pull you over, etc.  Lots of crazies out there and you don't know if one of the person you pulled over is one of them. 

Its also standard procedure to receive registration and driving documentation when they pull someone over. Something that cop clearly asked for because you can hear him ask for it and the driver handed over at least one of those documents. It wasn't until the driver disclosed that he had a gun, as well as, a license to carry it (which is also a required procedure) that the cop lost his sh*t and blew 2 holes through his heart. 

Standard procedure should also include being able to assess a situation. The guy openly disclosed everything and was in a car with his wife and young daughter. He was also asked to produce documentation, so its obvious that he should be expected to reach for something. The other cop was looking pretty calm and showed no recognition of any sign of danger. It may be procedure to shoot to kill, but they should be held accountable for the decisions they make leading up to that situation. Unloading a clip into a car with, a family, should never be the default. 

7 hours ago, Canorth said:

Its also standard procedure to receive registration and driving documentation when they pull someone over. Something that cop clearly asked for because you can hear him ask for it and the driver handed over at least one of those documents. It wasn't until the driver disclosed that he had a gun, as well as, a license to carry it (which is also a required procedure) that the cop lost his sh*t and blew 2 holes through his heart. 

Standard procedure should also include being able to assess a situation. The guy openly disclosed everything and was in a car with his wife and young daughter. He was also asked to produce documentation, so its obvious that he should be expected to reach for something. The other cop was looking pretty calm and showed no recognition of any sign of danger. It may be procedure to shoot to kill, but they should be held accountable for the decisions they make leading up to that situation. Unloading a clip into a car with, a family, should never be the default. 

Yes.... you produce those ID when asked to do so.  The cop told the guy to not pull it out.  It's in plain English.... they're in an English speaking country.... the guy who got shot spoke English... not sure why he couldn't just follow what the officer is saying.  

From the cop's perspective, he can't see anything from the elbows down.  All he saw was someone trying to grab something from their pocket, even when told not to.  

Listening.... a skill that few seems to be able to comprehend.  

7 minutes ago, Toews said:
  Hide contents

I put the tweet in spoilers because it has some cursing. This is just so sad.

Unreal when a 4 year child is that petrified that her mom will now be shot by the police !!

1 minute ago, tbone909 said:

Unreal when a 4 year child is that petrified that her mom will now be shot by the police !!

A 4 year old kid just saw her dad get shot and her mother cannot even wrap her arms around her daughter because she is handcuffed at the back of a police car. What was this woman's crime exactly? How can anyone justify this despicable behaviour?

Audio from the scene reveals that Yanez told another officer: “I don’t know where the gun was.” The next day, he told investigators: “It was dark inside the vehicle,” he saw “something” or “an object” in Castile’s hand, and he “thought” it was a gun. At trial almost a year later, that had become: “I was able to see the firearm in Mr Castile’s hand.”

Just read that the cop lied during his testimony as well.

45 minutes ago, Toews said:
  Hide contents

I put the tweet in spoilers because it has some cursing. This is just so sad.

That's utterly disgusting. Can someone give a reason as to why this was necessary, especially after the murder of their husband/father?

10 minutes ago, Toews said:

A 4 year old kid just saw her dad get shot and her mother cannot even wrap her arms around her daughter because she is handcuffed at the back of a police car. What was this woman's crime exactly? How can anyone justify this despicable behaviour?

Just read that the cop lied during his testimony as well.

Sickening, i must have read it wrong I thought it was second degree murder., But it was second degree manslaughter, wow a jury had the nerve after watching that footage.

US most dangerous jobs, per 100,000 employed in 2013:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/01/28/charted-the-20-deadliest-jobs-in-america/

Police are 15th

For being murdered on the job police finish 2nd highest, behind taxi drivers and chauffeurs, and above food service managers.

It seems about 3.5 per hundred thousand cops per year are homicide victims, while about 10 die when including all job hazards.

Total deaths per wiki- for 2013, to keep in line with the above data:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_police_officers_killed_in_the_line_of_duty

"The Officer Down Memorial Page reports 114 deaths in the line of duty.[7] The National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund counted 102 federal, state and local officers to have been killed in 2012.[8] The official count from the FBI is that 27 law enforcement officers were 'feloniously' killed in the line of duty in 2013 (the lowest in a 35-year period 1980-2014), and an additional 49 died in accidents (total: 76).[2][9]

They released the video from the police car camera thing today, and it pretty much showed everything, and all I'm gonna say is this is &^@#ing bull$&!#. The way he shot that man was actually devastating to watch, and then watching his daughter run out of the car after. It's &^@#ing sad, something seriously needs to be done about this. I regret watching that because all it brought to me was sadness and anger. His daughter had to watch that as well also hurts me cause she ran out of the car immediately and looked terrified. It all happened so quick. Just sad..

On 2017-06-21 at 3:43 PM, Lancaster said:

Yes.... you produce those ID when asked to do so.  The cop told the guy to not pull it out.  It's in plain English.... they're in an English speaking country.... the guy who got shot spoke English... not sure why he couldn't just follow what the officer is saying.  

From the cop's perspective, he can't see anything from the elbows down.  All he saw was someone trying to grab something from their pocket, even when told not to.  

Listening.... a skill that few seems to be able to comprehend.  

Just a note the victim was not reaching for his gun at the time, but the gun permit. He was attempting to comply with the officers orders to produce ID and such when he was shoot. Also notice from the dash cam footage the officer pulled his gun and shot in one motion. 

The victim did not know that the officer intended to use deadly force until the gun was in the officers hand and he was pulling the trigger. 

All the evidence shows a law abiding citizen obeying directions and being shot for his troubles. 

Added to that the officer was on the drivers side, looking across to the passenger.  There was another officer on the other side of the car as well. 

There was no impaired view of the victims actions. At no time did the officer ever see a gun. Added to that, they both would have had the 'drop' on the victim had he actually attempted to produce the gun. 

Looking at the dashcam footage, the officer was fingering the gun a lot prior to shooting. He sounded jumpy and nervous and someone got shot who shouldn't have been shot. Period. 

2 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Just a note the victim was not reaching for his gun at the time, but the gun permit. He was attempting to comply with the officers orders to produce ID and such when he was shoot. Also notice from the dash cam footage the officer pulled his gun and shot in one motion. 

The victim did not know that the officer intended to use deadly force until the gun was in the officers hand and he was pulling the trigger. 

All the evidence shows a law abiding citizen obeying directions and being shot for his troubles. 

Added to that the officer was on the drivers side, looking across to the passenger.  There was another officer on the other side of the car as well. 

There was no impaired view of the victims actions. At no time did the officer ever see a gun. Added to that, they both would have had the 'drop' on the victim had he actually attempted to produce the gun. 

Looking at the dashcam footage, the officer was fingering the gun a lot prior to shooting. He sounded jumpy and nervous and someone got shot who shouldn't have been shot. Period. 

What evidence did it show that the victim was complying?  The drivers license was produced at around 1:05.  Right afterwards the guy said he has a gun and license.  At 1:11, the officer told him to not reach for it.  From 1:11 to 1:16 (when the guy was shot), he kept telling him to "Don't reach for it though.  Don't pull it out.  Don't pull it out!"

Then shots were fired. 

So... how as the victim complying again in regards to his firearm?

3 hours ago, Lancaster said:

What evidence did it show that the victim was complying?  The drivers license was produced at around 1:05.  Right afterwards the guy said he has a gun and license.  At 1:11, the officer told him to not reach for it.  From 1:11 to 1:16 (when the guy was shot), he kept telling him to "Don't reach for it though.  Don't pull it out.  Don't pull it out!"

Then shots were fired. 

So... how as the victim complying again in regards to his firearm?

The witness statements on videop made right after the shooting.  The officer is on video saying "I though he was going for his gun" realizing that he was only reaching for his wallet.  The victim did not have a firearm in his hand when he was shoot.  The officer shoot a law abiding citizen, obeying the law, doing something legal.  Think about that.  

The he officer reacted out of fear.  For all the hype and bluster about obeying the officer, what is being missed was that ID and permits had been requested.  While producing ID and permits the victim informed the officers that he was carrying a legal gun and had a permit.  What was reported and not ever disproven was that the victim was attempting to produce his ID and permit, the original order from the officer.  The officer lost control of his emotions and it lead to fire 7 rounds across a car with a pregnant women and a young child in it to execute a child youth worker.  Over a busted tail light.  

The officer did so many things wrong and lost control of the scene, over reacted and an innocent law abiding man was gunned down in front of his family. I don't understand what you fail to grasp about that.  The officer screwed up and shoot someone who didn't deserve to be shoot and was cleared of any wrong doing, this is the new normal in the US.  You seem to think that's okay, I do not.  One reason I will never live in the US.  

It is happening all the time, in Texas they have billboards up saying if you run from police they will open fire... Unarmed non voilent criminals have been summarily executed in this manor many times.  The first one I heard about was 15 years ago when an un armed purse snatcher in San Antonio jumped into a canal, was caught for all intensive purposes (where was he going to go) and officers lined up on the canal wall and opened fire. In 31 or so States they have stand your ground laws which allow anyone to use deadly force if they fear for their lives.  That fear does not have to be justified, you just have to have fear, then shoot someone and it's okay.  Legal killing of fellow citizens.  That's essentially what happened in this case and so many others.  

EmW

7 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

The witness statements on videop made right after the shooting.  The officer is on video saying "I though he was going for his gun" realizing that he was only reaching for his wallet.  The victim did not have a firearm in his hand when he was shoot.  The officer shoot a law abiding citizen, obeying the law, doing something legal.  Think about that.  

The he officer reacted out of fear.  For all the hype and bluster about obeying the officer, what is being missed was that ID and permits had been requested.  While producing ID and permits the victim informed the officers that he was carrying a legal gun and had a permit.  What was reported and not ever disproven was that the victim was attempting to produce his ID and permit, the original order from the officer.  The officer lost control of his emotions and it lead to fire 7 rounds across a car with a pregnant women and a young child in it to execute a child youth worker.  Over a busted tail light.  

The officer did so many things wrong and lost control of the scene, over reacted and an innocent law abiding man was gunned down in front of his family. I don't understand what you fail to grasp about that.  The officer screwed up and shoot someone who didn't deserve to be shoot and was cleared of any wrong doing, this is the new normal in the US.  You seem to think that's okay, I do not.  One reason I will never live in the US.  

It is happening all the time, in Texas they have billboards up saying if you run from police they will open fire... Unarmed non voilent criminals have been summarily executed in this manor many times.  The first one I heard about was 15 years ago when an un armed purse snatcher in San Antonio jumped into a canal, was caught for all intensive purposes (where was he going to go) and officers lined up on the canal wall and opened fire. In 31 or so States they have stand your ground laws which allow anyone to use deadly force if they fear for their lives.  That fear does not have to be justified, you just have to have fear, then shoot someone and it's okay.  Legal killing of fellow citizens.  That's essentially what happened in this case and so many others.  

EmW

Unfortunately, we cannot see what the officer saw.  I didn't say what the victim did was against the law, just his actions were interpreted to be hostile.  

I don't think cops shooting innocent people is acceptable, but if you act in a way where an armed officer may feel threatened, you have no one to blame but yourself.  

You view this as cop over-reaching and becoming judge, jury and executioner... when in actuality, they're just a reaction to an action.  Not to say people should be become sheeples, but when instructed to do or not do something, at that point in that moment of time, you obey.  I could be unarmed and without intention to assault anyone... but if I walked up to a police officer foaming in my mouth, with clenched fists, screaming profanities about how I'm gonna give a piece of my mind to a police who I'm running towards to.... the officer who have told me to stay away.  If I get shot..... it's my own damn fault.  

Just watch the Chris Rock video on how to interact with the police.  If everyone followed those rules, there would be no police shooting.  

Archived