The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Former UFC Fighter Tim Hague dead after suffering brain injury from KO.

diesel_3

1 hour ago, GLASSJAW said:

Hague isn't dead according to fam and friends--just in critical condition 

That's good news if true. So long as he's not too far gone and could recover vs being a vegetable.

But really, make sure your corner has the wherewithal to pull the plug even if you don't. There was nothing in those two rounds in the video that showed he had any chance in that fight. Your brain isn't something to mess with by taking repeated, unanswered, heavy shots. That, and always check train crossings before going through just in case the signals aren't working.

Hoping both Hague and Hughes pull through without long term lasting effects.

1 minute ago, elvis15 said:

That's good news if true. So long as he's not too far gone and could recover vs being a vegetable.

But really, make sure your corner has the wherewithal to pull the plug even if you don't. There was nothing in those two rounds in the video that showed he had any chance in that fight. Your brain isn't something to mess with by taking repeated, unanswered, heavy shots. That, and always check train crossings before going through just in case the signals aren't working.

Hoping both Hague and Hughes pull through without long term lasting effects.

So this 

Does a sport bases on a person striking blows to another persons  head .....  really make sense in 2017 

Modern science now clearly demonstrates the devastating long term affects of blows to the brain....

Would you want your child to take up boxing ?  Really ?

Will there be a time when boxing as a sport disappears due to brain injury information ... ?

13 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Does a sport bases on a person striking blows to another persons  head .....  really make sense in 2017 

Modern science now clearly demonstrates the devastating long term affects of blows to the brain....

Would you want your child to take up boxing ?  Really ?

Will there be a time when boxing as a sport disappears due to brain injury information ... ?

$$$

4 hours ago, riffraff said:

After watching the footage.

lowering your body and leading with your head is not defence.

is there no three knock down rule?

the ref could have arguably stopped this sooner.  Tim was never in this fight, was knocked down several times and take numerous clean unanswered shots to the head....

I can't believe ref never stopped it earlier. He clearly looked out matched. I can't believe how many times he just leaned forward and covered up. 

Very unfortunate. Condolences to his family.

7 minutes ago, Vanisleryan said:

I can't believe ref never stopped it earlier. He clearly looked out matched. I can't believe how many times he just leaned forward and covered up. 

Very unfortunate. Condolences to his family.

The main objective of the corner and the official is to protect the boxer

3 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

Hague isn't dead according to fam and friends--just in critical condition 

Thanks, Glass...I just saw that when I got home...Looks like they are currently making arrangements for organ donation, but he is currently on life support.

My apologies for the thread based on misinformation, at the time of the post, that was all I was seeing on the news/twitter.

2 minutes ago, diesel_3 said:

Thanks, Glass...I just saw that when I got home...Looks like they are currently making arrangements for organ donation, but he is currently on life support.

My apologies for the thread based on misinformation, at the time of the post, that was all I was seeing on the news/twitter.

yeah latest report says he's braindead now

just watched the fight now -- the way his head hits the ground was brutal

9 minutes ago, TheFirstLine said:

Brutal sport, don't know how people can sit and watch two grown men attack eachother for entertainment. More people will die only then will this sport be shut down.

It's only been around for thousands of years, but good luck with that.

24 minutes ago, TheFirstLine said:

Brutal sport, don't know how people can sit and watch two grown men attack eachother for entertainment. More people will die only then will this sport be shut down.

Welcome to what some of us call the sweet science of boxing. 

But seriously the man's, corner and ref failed em big time. Also doesn't look like a proper state sanctioned professional bout.

Any stats on the percentage of death from MMA vs Boxing?

I'm assuming MMA has less just because there are more options to disable an opponent, eg. grappling, body blows, refs calling it much earlier.

Boxing is almost purely based on headshots (no scoring for body shots), thus the chance for severe head trauma is greater?

8 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

I'm assuming MMA has less just because there are more options to disable an opponent, eg. grappling, body blows, refs calling it much earlier.

Boxing is almost purely based on headshots (no scoring for body shots), thus the chance for severe head trauma is greater?

It looks like 500 as a result of fights since 1884 for boxing, versus 4 deaths in mma (sanctioned fights) as of 2014. The list for mma is long for unsanctioned fights.

54 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

MMA has become more and and more of a stand and trade blows sport in the last ten years or so since it went mainstream The fighters are stood up now the second the fans start to boo when the fight is on the ground and the fans have become very savvy to this and will start booing very quickly once the fight hits the ground now. The referees have obviously been instructed to take their cues from the audience reaction, not from what is actually going on in the fight in this situation which is pretty disappointing to the traditionalist fan. So the old argument that it's actually safer than boxing due to there being fewer head blows in an average mma fight than in a boxing match that mma proponents made in the days when they were fighting to get it sanctioned is really no longer valid now that that fight is over..

As long as we're 'entertained', correct?

"Are we not entertained?"

Keep an eye on the trend. As society spirals sharper & more rapidly, becoming more unforgiving, the Closseum fills more quickly, & bloodthirsty chants get louder. More foolish young men will volunteer to serve the bloodlust, cos' it beats asking folks if they'd like to supersize their meal.

We've created a mighty f*cked up society, with some pretty ugly entertainment.

20 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

yeah latest report says he's braindead now

Ugh. Thoughts for his family.

11 hours ago, Salmonberries said:

I hope Bob McCown can get the head of the Alberta commission to come on his show Monday to talk about the thinking behind sanctioning this fight. I'm curious to hear his reasoning behind signing off on an obvious slaughter like this. 

Unless they didn't think he had a realistic chance, I don't see why they wouldn't sanction it. Clearly it wasn't just him getting beaten to a pulp in the first round, or else he wouldn't have made it that far, but there's a point where they should have realized it was over.

Pretty painful to re watch the fight now knowing he's passed.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/boxer-critical-condition-fight-dead-202120243.html

Boxer who was in critical condition after fight is dead, family says

EDMONTON — A boxer who had been in critical condition since a fight in Edmonton on Friday night has died, his sister says.

Jackie Neil says in a statement on behalf of her family that Tim Hague died on Sunday.

The 33-year-old Hague grew up on a farm in Boyle, Alta., and had fought in the UFC, where he was known as "The Thrashing Machine."

He was competing against former Edmonton Eskimos defensive end Adam Braidwood at the Shaw Conference Centre on Friday evening in an event promoted by KO Boxing.

A video on YouTube that purports to be of the fight shows Hague lying still on his back on the canvas after taking a punch to his head from Braidwood.

The statement from the family says they are asking for privacy.

"It is with incredible sadness, sorrow and heartbreak to report that Tim has passed away today. He was surrounded by family, listening to his favourite songs. We will miss him with so greatly," the statement reads.

The Edmonton Combative Sports Commission, which regulates professional combative sports events in the city, issued a statement Sunday afternoon before Hague's family announced the death.

Executive director Pat Reid said that a post-fight review is completed immediately after each competition. But he said that following the news of Hague's condition after Friday's match, the commission has extended its request for reports to all referees, ringside judges, physicians, chief inspector, paymaster and the presiding inspectors assigned to the bout.

Reid said the commission will determine the next steps after evaluating those reports.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with Tim and his family," Reid said at the conclusion of the statement.

Melanie Lubovac of KO Boxing wouldn't comment on the event when reached late Saturday when Hague's family said he was in critical condition, but Lubovac said a statement would likely be issued Sunday or Monday.

A heavyweight trained in jiu-jitsu, Hague put his teaching career on hold to make his pro MMA debut in 2006. 

Hague compiled a 21-13 MMA record before switching to boxing after his final pro MMA fight in July 2016.

Archived