The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL protection lists

A few teams are leaking their protected lists, I felt it worth a thread.

LA opts to protect 8 skaters:

Sens go 7-3:

Caps list:

DCjUp8PW0AASwp_.jpg

Detroit exposes Ouellet:

Canucks expose Gaunce (expected):

Flames expose Brouwer:

I'll keep adding as more are announced. I'm keeping an eye on these lists to see if there are 7-8 D better than Sbisa, and thus he gets passed on for Gaunce. 

I met Gaunce one time while walking through Yaletown. I asked him if I could take a photo with him and he was genuinely surprised and happy about it. He's a really nice kid, very humble. Puts the work in to become a professional. I understand the business of sports and that it's better for the franchise to keep Sbisa. If Gaunce does indeed go to Vegas I wish him the very best for his career. Hopefully he can flourish in a bottom-6 shutdown role and put up 20+ points/season.

Just now, PassittoBoeser said:

No point why would you if you dont have to? it gives you the ability to protect another player.....that was not a well thought out comment bud lol

If they thought they could have signed him they likely would have protected him. Now they risk Vegas signing him. I am just pointing out that teams do have the option of protecting their UFA's if they chose to do so.

5 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

If they thought they could have signed him they likely would have protected him. Now they risk Vegas signing him. I am just pointing out that teams do have the option of protecting their UFA's if they chose to do so.

dude are you really going to argue with me how nonsensical your point is?

1. No UFA needs to be protected they are automatically exempt

2. That gives you another player to protect

3. Protecting a UFA clearly hurts you for the reason in #2

4. Protecting a UFA from expansion does nothing to prevent LV from signing him during the UFA season or any other team

Please dont try to act 'right' when someone has shown you that you made a silly comment - say damn i didnt think it through

8 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

They ALWAYS risked Vegas signing him as he was a UFA. lol

Players exposed - * UFAs

LA Kings

F: Brown, Gaborik, Lewis, Clifford, Nolan, Dowd, Crescenzi, Andreoff, Shore, Auger, Mersch, Purcell*, Iginla* 

D: McNabb, Trotman*, Scuderi*, Loverde*, Schiling*

G: Zatkoff, Campbell         

Washington

F: Beagle, Walker, Graovac, Sill, O'Brien, Connolly, Stephenson, Winnick*, Williams*, Galiev*, Carey*, Thomas*, Mitchell* Bourque*, Oshie*

D: Orpik, Chorney, Ness, Schmidt, Djoos, Corbett, Dietz, Alzner*, Shattenkirk*, Gilbert*

G: Grubauer, Copley

Calgary 

F: Brouwer, Stajan, Bouma, Shinkaruk, Poirier, Hamilton, Vey, Chiasson, Bollig*, Versteeg*

D: Bartkowski, Kulak, Culkin, Wotherspoon, Engelland*, Stone*, Kostka*, Wideman*

G: McCollum, Elliott

I have a question. 

Given that if Vegas signs a UFA from a team it counts as their Expansion pick, is Vegas not allowed to pick a player from that team?

For example, Vegas is interested in Oshie as a UFA. Does that mean they can't take Grubauer in the Expansion Draft? If they are allowed to take Grubauer AND sign Oshie, then what's the point of having UFA's count as picks for Vegas?

31 minutes ago, PassittoBoeser said:

No point why would you if you dont have to? it gives you the ability to protect another player.....that was not a well thought out comment bud lol

What was wrong with @Rick Blight's comment? An NHL roster has 23 players and Vegas selects 30. They could very well take a risk by picking Oshie for exclusive negotiating rights and Washington wouldn't be able to negotiate with Oshie after that until July 1st. Not saying that will happen, but it's possible especially with that being McPhee's former team.

25 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Any chance Vegas takes Boucher?

He has shown a bit more offensive flare than Gaunce and he is a hell of a lot cheaper than Sbisa

There's a possibility Boucher gets claimed but he also was waived twice last season, so he's probably not a high priorty for Vegas.

The appeal in Sbisa, for the Golden Knights, is that Sbisa is on a reasonable cap hit (hard to believe but it's the truth), he's a UFA at the end of next season (so Vegas can flip Sbisa at the deadline, if they want), and he's more proven then either Boucher or Gaunce.

Also, the Golden Knights are bound to pick more d-men than any other position so it seems logical that Sbisa would be taken. He'll likely fetch a C prospect and a pick at the deadline to a playoff bound team, methinks... and those are the types of moves the Golden Knights are gonna have to make to build up their prospect pool fast.

18 minutes ago, PassittoBoeser said:

1. No UFA needs to be protected they are automatically exempt

False.

Vegas can select a UFA, they could take Oshie if they want and try to sign him.

Similarly, Washington could protect Oshie if they think there's a chance to re-sign him. Clearly they don't think it will happen.

Archived