The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Proposal VAN - DAL (The Most Obvious Trade Ever)

I was talking about this on the board, and then I checked the proposal section and correct me if I'm wrong. I could not find if anyone has made this proposal yet. If I'm wrong, I'm happy to take this down. I'm more interested in the discussion. However here we go.

THE PROPOSAL

To Dallas: Chris Tanev, Jordan Subban, Both Vancouver's 2nd Round Picks

To Vancouver: 3rd Overall Pick

Why Dallas does this: Dallas is in a win now situation. They were basically derailed from the playoffs because they lost all of their defensive depth in a very short period of time.  Dallas basically needs to find a way to add quality NHL level defensmen as well as restock the cupboards for the future. The problem is, there aren't really any good defensmen in free agency that could actually make an impact. Chris Tanev however, is about to go into his extension at a fairly modest cap hit, certainly one lower than they will get on the market. He's also going into his prime and is the perfect age to join their group. Dallas also has to try and keep what they have together in the meantime. 

The Canucks however are looking for draft picks, or in particular one pick, the pick they lucked into and shouldn't have had. They give that up, as well as add another defensive prospect to add to their cupboard. Subban is also a good consolation piece for losing out on the third overall pick. And then on top 2 more second round picks for them to pick whatever they want. They literally get it all. An established NHl calibre defensman going into his prime locked in on a modest contract, a defensive prospect already showing he's mastering the AHL and trying to get to the NHL, as well as 2 2nd round draft picks to get whoever you want. Not a bad deal for Dallas

Why Vancouver does this: Given where we are in our rebuild, I think everyone understands we have 2 major needs left. We don't need to wildly restock the cupboards anymore as JB has done a good job of that. All we need now, is to add BOTH a top offensive center prospect to bounce off of Bo Horvat in the future, as well as a top right handed defensive prospect who can run the PP and be a PMD beside Juolevi. We can get one of those with our 5th, but we need to target that third to get both.  

We basically lose Tanev, who is at the peak of his value and on a team where he will be going nowhere. We need to start focusing on Gudbranson and Stecher on the right for the future. Also, Stechers immergence makes Subban redundant, especially if we get another high level right handed defensman. On top, we lose 2 2nd rounders this year, which sucks, but if we get one stud prospect I don't think anyone would care.

Once you get the third overall pick, draft Cale Makar, or whatever defenseman Benning thinks is number 1 defensman in the draft.. That way we make sure we lock up the best for Juolevi securing our future for a longtime down the road. And then take whichever one of Vilardi or Glass isn't taken at 4th. (Most likely it will be Glass). I also have a really good feeling about Cody Glass. All of a sudden we're back in. Getting that pick is honestly the fastest way to speed up this rebuild and put us back on track.

Our future core as it would stand

Left Wing Depth --- Center Depth --- Right Wing Depth

Baertschi ------------- Horvat ----------- Boeser

Goldobin ------------- Glass ------------- Virtanen

Granlund -------------- (______) ---------- (_______)

Left Defence --- Right Defence 

Juolevi ----------- Makar

Hutton ----------- Gudbranson

(______) ---------- Stecher

Goaltending

Demko

(_____)

Not that many more crucial spots to fill, but rather role players to find that fit with the core. And a lot of those spots could be filled in house like Brisebois, Dahlen, or Gaudette. We don't need Subban, those 2 2nds or Tanev. What we need is one more top defensive prospect on top of a top center prospect. Pull the trigger. Give them a package that is good for both sides. Whether you like our current depth or not, this is a good starting template to move forward from. Dallas get Tanev, exactly what they want, for immediate help, as well as 3 valuable B level prospects in Subban and 2 first rounders,, and Vancovuer walks away with their 2 future cornerstone pieces.

All in all, we walk out with exactly what we need and Dallas walks off with a haul and exactly what they need. Honestly Tanev would probably benefit playing on a contender in his prime, and Subban gets a chance in a new organization. Everyone wins.

What do you think? Fair? Tweaks?

Honestly, if you think it's an overpayment, than that's a good sign. That means we can get the pick for less. This is more a max I'm willing to pay and give up, making the deal too good for DAL to pass up and great for us.

Just now, scheif16 said:

Take away the 33rd overall and we have a deal!

I think JB won't do it when both 2nd rounders are involved on our side...

Exactly! I honestly think that we may be slightly overpaying in this deal, which means it's more than fair for Dallas. It's a deal that's so good, they pretty much have to say yes. In reality we would probably recieve a late pick in return as well, but overall, if we think we are overpaying, it's in a good ball park of being fair.

Still, I would argue that both our seconds just aren't needed with the huge recent additions of Goldobin and Dahlen. Or at least, we can afford to lose those 2 seconds this year, if it get's us a true cornerstone piece. A

nd with Stecher emerging, and us possibly taking a right handed PMD dman, Subban simply just isn't needed. It's great value on top of Tanev for the 3rd overall but that's what makes it a great deal. 

Tanev just simply fits what they want perfectly and will help them now. They're all pieces of good to significant value that we simply just don't need at this stage as opposed to another top pick.

I think JB should pull the trigger after the expansion draft, but here's hoping.

I think there is no rush to trade Tanev. VAN should hold and wait for offers. This isn't a particularly strong draft year. Next season will be equal or better by most estimates.  

Trading Tanev for #3 and messing that pick up (ie #4, 5, 6, etc.. go on to be better).... that would suck. Odds of that happening are pretty high this year. 

I would rather keep Subban and both of our Seconds and trade Tanev for a later first round pick as the talent difference is all that significant in this draft.  I'd be pretty upset if Benning trades away any picks this year to move up in the draft.  There is no guarantee that the player we move up for is even going to be a top line player.  So why trade a top pairing D man (or top 4 on a good team) and a couple second round picks for a player who might turn out to be a Brenden Gaunce.  I'd rather just keep our picks and luck out with one of them.  

3 hours ago, Canada Hockey Place said:

I think there is no rush to trade Tanev. VAN should hold and wait for offers. This isn't a particularly strong draft year. Next season will be equal or better by most estimates.  

Trading Tanev for #3 and messing that pick up (ie #4, 5, 6, etc.. go on to be better).... that would suck. Odds of that happening are pretty high this year. 

Problem is, others teams are not dumb....if next year's draft is better, it will cost 3 Tanevs to get the #3 pick of 2018. 

soo  no trading picks away  if anything id grab a goalie from dallas for their second rounder. 

If we are trading tanev id go for 10th overall to 15th overall plus a decent nhl ready defensive prospect like honka or morrisey.

im hoping dorsett or sbisa get taken in expansion frees up 2.6-3.6 more in cap

we need youth that has skill  having 2 firsts and 3 seconds helps us especially if benning finds some decent prospects that fall in  draft 

Tanev, Granny & Subban.  ***Predicated upon Dallas trying to contend again***

For the #3 OA, & Lehtonen.

If they try to quibble with that..f**k'em. (the most I'd bend is possibly the CBJ 2nd added, & Dallas adds a 2018 3rd perhaps?)

Granny has one more yr of bargain-basement 900k. Then you'll have to pay the guy. Dallas like Finns, & doesn't have a tonne of fwd depth.

We need to start the process of developing 2 huge tickets(a C & D-man)

Lastly, we've carried Granny through protection. In itself, there's value in that Dallas could protect their chosen 7 fwds.

1 minute ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Tanev, Granny & Subban.  ***Predicated upon Dallas trying to contend again***

For the #3 OA, & Lehtonen.

If they try to quibble with that..f**k'em. (the most I'd bend is possibly the CBJ 2nd added, & Dallas adds a 2018 3rd perhaps?)

Granny has one more yr of bargain-basement 900k. Then you'll have to pay the guy. Dallas like Finns, & doesn't have a tonne of fwd depth.

We need to start the process of developing 2 huge tickets(a C & D-man)

Lastly, we've carried Granny through protection. In itself, there's value in that Dallas could protect their chosen 7 fwds.

Switch Baer for Granny, and I'm in.  I think the Stars would rather a pick (55?) instead of Subban too.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Switch Baer for Granny, and I'm in.  I think the Stars would rather a pick (55?) instead of Subban too.

Yeah Alf..wouldn't get the knickers in a twist, either way. They're both good soldiers, but replaceable variety. Bottom line is JB should have at least 1 2nd rounder to do what he's known for.

Tanev ain't chopped liver. Some team will likely get 8, 9 more yrs of an incredibly smart, smooth D-man. Guy who takes mediocre partners & elevates them to their ceiling.

14 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

We should cleverly arrange for Dallas to hire Uncle Willie as an asst. Perhaps his 'sway' could hypnotize Nill?

Then they're bound to start pursuing our guys, Willie-Nillie

Willie hired - Megna for their third overall.   It's a lock.

Archived