The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Arizona Coyotes will not re-sign Shane Doan. Oliver Ekman-Larsson to be named captain.

Does anybody else think the wording of that announcement kinda stinks.  Sort of like " Sorry Shane, we need to divorce from you and focus on our younger better players".  Sure its true, but i think they could have been a little classier in light of the fact that he was the heart and soul of that organization for a long time who purposely chose to go back even though he knew that team would stink and was in a weird predicament with the constant threat of relocation.

Oh well, maybe im getting sensitive to the words "younger" and "better" now that im in my 40's!

2 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Yep , fully agree with you.

The $7M a year contracts the Sedins got four (three?) years ago should have been ones they received in the contracts previous.

While I do fully appreciate their immense contributions to the team, I hope that once this season is through, that Benning takes a similar stance on renegotiating the Sedins to a new contract.

1 minute ago, Darius71 said:

Does anybody else think the wording of that announcement kinda stinks.  Sort of like " Sorry Shane, we need to divorce from you and focus on our younger better players".  Sure its true, but i think they could have been a little classier in light of the fact that he was the heart and soul of that organization for a long time who purposely chose to go back even though he knew that team would stink and was in a weird predicament with the constant threat of relocation.

Pretty much.

"While we'd like to thank Shane Doan for his loyalty to our team (even though we've been in the red since our existence and have been bailed out every year by actually successful teams in the league) we've decided to cut ties with Shane because he's as old as &^@#.

The Coyotes aren't a nursing home and have no interest in watching Shane drink prune juice on the bench and talk about his arthritis. He's served us well, and much like any prize mule, it's time to walk Shane out behind the rink and put him out of his misery.

Once again, we thank you Shane Doan, and wish you well in all your future endeavors. We have decided to hand the captaincy to a player who is as tough and endurable as Shane Doan, in.....Oliver Ekman-Larsson?" 

1 minute ago, Darius71 said:

Oh well, maybe im getting sensitive to the words "younger" and "better" now that im in my 40's!

We old.

7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Pretty much.

"While we'd like to thank Shane Doan for his loyalty to our team (even though we've been in the red since our existence and have been bailed out every year by actually successful teams in the league) we've decided to cut ties with Shane because he's as old as &^@#.

The Coyotes aren't a nursing home and have no interest in watching Shane drink prune juice on the bench and talk about his arthritis. He's served us well, and much like any prize mule, it's time to walk Shane out behind the rink and put him out of his misery.

Once again, we thank you Shane Doan, and wish you well in all your future endeavors. We have decided to hand the captaincy to a player who is as tough and endurable as Shane Doan, in.....Oliver Ekman-Larsson?" 

We old.

Lol!!

or imagine writing a similar statement to cut loose from your wife!:

" Id like to thank my wife Lucy for her loyalty to me, supporting my ass for 15 years, and giving birth to my oversized children.  I have decided to part ways after realizing there are a bevy of young beauties in my office who like the geritol and brown socks. I would like to concentrate on these younger players. Thank you Lucy for all you have done, best wishes." 

Imagine if the Canucks did this to the sedins next year? Would there be an outrage? 

Not from me. I don't want to see them render down to 3rd line 30 point players, I want to only see them as the 70-100 point players they were

Gotta pull the bandaid off one day

2 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Not sure this would fit with Doan's career aspirations at this point but I'm curious if Canucks management would be interested in signing him to help mentor Jake (assuming Jake is able to make the team).

Why would you want to sign a 40yr old slug just to help mentor jake???? What a wasted roster spot that would be...this mentor thing is really overrated. I'm sure jake can figure it out without a Shane Doan. 

1 hour ago, Darius71 said:

The Coyotes have been saying they are getting "younger and better" for 15 years? How long does it take to get younger? They will not be better without Doan.....

1 hour ago, Darius71 said:

Lol!!

or imagine writing a similar statement to cut loose from your wife!:

" Id like to thank my wife Lucy for her loyalty to me, supporting my ass for 15 years, and giving birth to my oversized children.  I have decided to part ways after realizing there are a bevy of young beauties in my office who like the geritol and brown socks. I would like to concentrate on these younger players. Thank you Lucy for all you have done, best wishes." 

6 hours ago, mll said:

Doan wasn't expecting it.

All class. I assume he's referring to someone like Wayne Gretzky who wasn't a very good coach, but probably wasn't given a decent support cast either.

On 2017-06-19 at 3:27 PM, captainhorvat said:

Why would you want to sign a 40yr old slug just to help mentor jake???? What a wasted roster spot that would be...this mentor thing is really overrated. I'm sure jake can figure it out without a Shane Doan. 

Mentor's are overrated? Tell that to Hedman and Ohlund or Crosby and Lemieux.

Archived