The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Video of Woman Demanding to See "White Doctor" For Her Son in Toronto Clinic

DonLever

1 minute ago, cdubuya said:

Assuming her story is true (it may well be exagerated).... no. I don't think waiting 4-5 hours to see any doctor just to have them brush you aside would make you happy. She was clearly looking for a scape goat and found one in the color of the doctors skin. I don't think theres any merit to the race issue, however, I think had she waited a reasonable amount of time and had an Indian doctor who she found helpful then I doubt this would even be a story.

It is impossible for me to know the real story. It's possible she is a hypocodriac mother who is making a big deal over nothing. However, having personally had real health issues it is frustrating when you go to a walk in clinic only to have them ignore your issues. 

I spent 5.5 years in and out of hospitals and clinics having my hand surgically reattached and in therapy afterwards.  Never once did I come across this. Scape goat, fall back however one wants to put it.  The attitude shown by this person is exactly who this person is.  People show their true colours under duress.  She put her kids health at risk all over someones skin pigment.

That says enough in my eyes

I can't see a doctor being allowed to practice medicine in this country unless they were fluent in either English or French, and as we're talking TO it would obviously have to be English. He probably had an accent that she found distasteful. 

This woman clearly has an issue with race (skin colour). I want to make it very clear that I do not in any way support her comments and find her behavior and her comments cringe-worthy.

Unfortunately, a very close friend of mine had occasion to attend the local clinic where an International doctor was doing a practicum. My friend was there for test results that were important. The International doctor spoke English but with a very, very heavy Afrikaans accent which was difficult to impossible to understand. My friend, despite her attempts to understand what was being said and asking the doctor to repeat things several times and being embarrassed at having to ask yet another time, had to make another appointment with the supervising doctor in order to find out exactly what the results of her tests said. She did not want to embarrass the doctor or herself any further so just left only to have to return and see the supervising doctor later in the week.

I also saw the International doctor while he was here and had the same sort of experience though fortunately the renewal of a prescription wasn't anywhere near as crucial.

So I can appreciate the frustration of seeing a doctor, especially with a child's health in question, and not being able to understand what is being said.

In this particular situation, the woman in this video is really trash..... her comments are bigoted and prejudiced. There is no place for those sort of comments and behavior here in Canada.

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I spent 5.5 years in and out of hospitals and clinics having my hand surgically reattached and in therapy afterwards.  Never once did I come across this. Scape goat, fall back however one wants to put it.  The attitude shown by this person is exactly who this person is.  People show their true colours under duress.  She put her kids health at risk all over someones skin pigment.

That says enough in my eyes

If you have had good experiences with the health care in this country then great. Lots of people where I live have not. People here are fed up. I imagine there are a lot of other cities in Canada where they are also fed up. I don't condone her racist outburst but I am not surprised by it. All I said was there are a lot of Canadians that are fed up with the state of health care here and I stand by that claim.

I once demanded to speak to a different doctor,  I didn't demand that the doctor be white but I did demand that I could understand what the eff they were saying.  When you have a family member in a coma and you can't understand a flipping thing the doctor was saying it becomes unbearably frustrating and at that moment I didn't have time to mess around.  This was during a time when health care was really bad(2004), not that it is any better now. 

I haven't watched this vid nor do I have any comment on it.

56 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

While she is clearly in the wrong and uneducated in her thinking... it would be frustrating to go to a clinic and not have the doctor speak English properly.

With that said if your kid has chest pains and its an emergency get your a$$ to the hospital

She's racist which means you can't take what she's saying seriously. She's just talking down to people because she doesn't like them. If someone has hate in their heart, they would go off on even the tiniest accent even if everyone else could understand clearly. ffs, anyone could have brown teeth. she's just making fun ofpeople because they are a different race than her. 

There is a difference between being frustrated with language barriers and communication vs this hate she is spewing. 

1 hour ago, cdubuya said:

If you have had good experiences with the health care in this country then great. Lots of people where I live have not. People here are fed up. I imagine there are a lot of other cities in Canada where they are also fed up. I don't condone her racist outburst but I am not surprised by it. All I said was there are a lot of Canadians that are fed up with the state of health care here and I stand by that claim.

And all I said is I have never experienced this and at my age have spent more time in and out of hospitals than most.

There is 0 justification in this, she's a racist POS period.  You can be frustrated with health care all you want.  but the moment you start using words like "paki doctor" or "I want a white doctor" while your precious child is suffering from a sore chest.

You kinda out yourself for the reason you're upset or unhappy

Asking for a white doctor is racist. 

Asking for a canadian born english speaking doctor is not. 

Hard enough calling telus and fighting uour way through either philipeans or india before getting transfered to a canadian. Remove cell phone and insert childrens health and you have a reasonable request. 

She definitely needs to change the method of her demands but it should be her right to see an official language speaking doctor (not saying the brown doc didnt speak english but just going off story)

11 minutes ago, Emmetts said:

Asking for a white doctor is racist. 

Asking for a canadian born english speaking doctor is not. 

Hard enough calling telus and fighting uour way through either philipeans or india before getting transfered to a canadian. Remove cell phone and insert childrens health and you have a reasonable request. 

She definitely needs to change the method of her demands but it should be her right to see an official language speaking doctor (not saying the brown doc didnt speak english but just going off story)

I called CRA a couple weeks ago, twice - literally couldn't understand most of the conversation to the point where I had to make an excuse to end the call and try again.

1 minute ago, BaiNongMin said:

Just so I can understand the general feel of this forum, if a brown or Asian or black person asks to speak with a doctor that they feel more comfortable with, is that also racist? 

If an asian person (brown or otherwise...) refuses service from a white doctor and demands to only speak to a doctor of colour or alternative ethnicity to what was going on in this video yes it is in fact racist.

Demanding coverage or treatment from someone solely based on skin colour is racist, demanding coverage or treatment for your child solely based on skin colour is racist and stupid

ok, now I understand your POV. The next time I see someone at the bank or ICBC centre, receiving help from someone they culturally identify with, it is in fact racist. That is quite a headshaker seeing how our government promotes the hiring and the availability of different languages and services for different races. Does our own government promote racism?

Can't watch the whole thing right now but, aside from the racist rant, she seems to have a valid complaint.  If a doctor can't communicate with/to her in English, then it's kind of pointless.  So if that's what set her off, I get that part.  It's your child and, often, anxiety is already running high.

With that, demanding to have an English speaking doctor seems more appropriate (than asking for a "white" doctor).

Have to go, but that's my immediate reaction....

It's how we present our concerns and she failed, miserably.  But I do understand that when it comes to your child, if you are seen by a doctor who can't communicate with you, that would be an issue.

19 minutes ago, riffraff said:

I called CRA a couple weeks ago, twice - literally couldn't understand most of the conversation to the point where I had to make an excuse to end the call and try again.

This man (woman?) gets it. 

Were not racists, we really do like everyone. We just expect someone to speak proper english when we phone a canadian company and have no patience when we have to fight through someones langauge difficulties to do business with the federal government. 

13 minutes ago, BaiNongMin said:

ok, now I understand your POV. The next time I see someone at the bank or ICBC centre, receiving help from someone they culturally identify with, it is in fact racist. That is quite a headshaker seeing how our government promotes the hiring and the availability of different languages and services for different races. Does our own government promote racism?

No, now you're reaching and doing it intentionally.

Language barriers are one thing.

Religious freedoms another.

Basing preference on skin colour is in fact racist.  There's no gray area.  

This isn't PC lala land sunshine, this is cut and dried.  If you demand service based specifically on skin colour while refusing it based on skin colour.  You are a racist.

Archived