The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Video of Woman Demanding to See "White Doctor" For Her Son in Toronto Clinic

DonLever

2 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

She did her kid NO favours acting like that.  Poor kid, likely created anxiety and embarrassment at a time when he already didn't feel well.

What a winner she is.

I can say honestly I don't care what a person looks like.  Language they speak or sky fairy they believe in.

My kid is in need of medical attention please help them

6 hours ago, Warhippy said:

No no.

You couldn't be more wrong and your sad attempt at baiting people is laughably transparent.

If you demand service or treatment based solely on skin colour or ethnicity as in THIS VIDEO where the woman demands a WHITE DOCTOR.  That is racist.

If you refuse service at a restaurant based on skin colour or ehtnicity and instead demand service from someone of another skin colour or ethnicity THAT IS RACIST

I mean, I get what you're trying to do.  it's adorable, but woefully transparent, done in a very amateur way and honestly kinda sad.

For clarity though

Racism defined:  prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

In this instance, i'd say that the woman demanding a white doctor because she refused to be seen by a "paki doctor" or a "brown doctor" fits the literal definition of racism

Obviously that woman is racist but racism/discrimination is very alive and well in Canada. Look at your post and read this story hip.

Developer behind ‘Muslim housing project’ in Montreal says anyone with shared values welcome

He said non-Muslims would be welcome to move into his project of prefabricated homes, but they would have to share the values of their Muslim neighbours.

“You don’t drive drunk on the street. If you want to drink alcohol, you drink it in your house,” he said. Women could choose whether to wear the headscarf but they could not walk around in a halter-top and shorts.

“There must be some modesty in the way you dress. We don’t want women living there going half-naked down the streets. We don’t like that,” he said. “If they want to do that, let them go and live in downtown Montreal.”

Premier Philippe Couillard, speaking Tuesday in Morocco, where he is attending the United Nations climate conference, worried non-Muslims would face discrimination.

“Discrimination works in both directions, and so does inclusion; we are in favour of mixed housing for cultural communities and religious groups,” Couillard said.

The proposal to build up to 80 homes became a hot issue in the legislature, where members unanimously adopted a motion Tuesday directing the Minister of Municipal Affairs to inform municipalities that “no real-estate development can be based on religious or ethnic segregation.”

https://www.google.ca/amp/news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/plan-for-muslim-only-suburb-in-montreal-is-discrimination-quebec-premier-says/amp

News flash nobody likes paying interest not just muslims.

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I can say honestly I don't care what a person looks like.  Language they speak or sky fairy they believe in.

My kid is in need of medical attention please help them

He! he!—sky fairy—never heard that one before :)

6 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Obviously that woman is racist but racism/discrimination is very alive and well in Canada. Look at your post and read this story hip.

Developer behind ‘Muslim housing project’ in Montreal says anyone with shared values welcome

He said non-Muslims would be welcome to move into his project of prefabricated homes, but they would have to share the values of their Muslim neighbours.

“You don’t drive drunk on the street. If you want to drink alcohol, you drink it in your house,” he said. Women could choose whether to wear the headscarf but they could not walk around in a halter-top and shorts.

“There must be some modesty in the way you dress. We don’t want women living there going half-naked down the streets. We don’t like that,” he said. “If they want to do that, let them go and live in downtown Montreal.”

Premier Philippe Couillard, speaking Tuesday in Morocco, where he is attending the United Nations climate conference, worried non-Muslims would face discrimination.

“Discrimination works in both directions, and so does inclusion; we are in favour of mixed housing for cultural communities and religious groups,” Couillard said.

The proposal to build up to 80 homes became a hot issue in the legislature, where members unanimously adopted a motion Tuesday directing the Minister of Municipal Affairs to inform municipalities that “no real-estate development can be based on religious or ethnic segregation.”

https://www.google.ca/amp/news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/plan-for-muslim-only-suburb-in-montreal-is-discrimination-quebec-premier-says/amp

News flash nobody likes paying interest not just muslims.

You don't need to make it a Muslim based point.

I'm half native.  I got that wonderful bit of reminder from both sides of the reserve every day of my life as a kid :)

9 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

You don't need to make it a Muslim based point.

I'm half native.  I got that wonderful bit of reminder from both sides of the reserve every day of my life as a kid :)

I'm pointing out other ethnic groups are just as racist and discriminate it's just those stories hardly ever get covered. Remember the strata story from Richmond? The English speaking Canadian being outed by Chinese people?

8 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Can't watch the whole thing right now but, aside from the racist rant, she seems to have a valid complaint.  If a doctor can't communicate with/to her in English, then it's kind of pointless.  So if that's what set her off, I get that part.  It's your child and, often, anxiety is already running high.

With that, demanding to have an English speaking doctor seems more appropriate (than asking for a "white" doctor).

Have to go, but that's my immediate reaction....

It's how we present our concerns and she failed, miserably.  But I do understand that when it comes to your child, if you are seen by a doctor who can't communicate with you, that would be an issue.

Agreed with everything you said. The stuff I bolded is my story kinda sorta related to this topic, but reversed. 

When I was 14 I was diagnosed with Epilepsy. My parents and I had no idea what was happening, what is was(not a lot of people know what Epilepsy is.) So when we went to see a doctor, he was Canadian born and spoke perfect English. Now my parents speak great english, and they understand it, but they kind of weren't getting what the doctor was explaining(he explained it perfectly, I got it all. But my parents couldn't really understand all of it). There was another doctor there who spoke Hindi, which my parents are fluent in. My dad kindly asked the doctor we had if the other doctor could explain to them what was happening, and the doctor said absolutely. We waited three hours for that doctor, he came and explained it perfectly to them in Hindi and that was that. Side bar: The doctor was born and raised in Canada and spoke perfect English and Hindi. Anyways, at the end of the day my parents and I knew what Epilepsy was and we went on from there to get myself better. Was my dad racist for asking for the other doctor who spoke Hindi so both him and my mom would have a better understanding about my illness? Absolutely not, both him and my mom got a better understanding of my illness because of that doctor. It wasn't rude, or racist in any way. 

You're completely right with the way she presented herself in this situation. She was rude and racist, she said she didn't want to see "Paki doctors" and "doctors with brown teeth(that made me lol for some reason...) and only wanted to see "white doctors." That was incredibly wrong, and incredibly racist. But she was not wrong in wanting to see a doctor who can communicate with her. Just the way she presented herself and handled the situation was terrible. 

11 hours ago, TheHitman said:

It's incredibly difficult to become a doctor in this country, I wouldn't question the ability or knowledge of any of them tbh. 

Oh, I definitely do.

In a climate where people with $$ can purchase licenses/practices and be shady practitioners until they're outed, I always question if something doesn't sit well.  I mean, especially with my kids.

But the point being that if language was a barrier, she could have politely addressed this.  A doctor's knowledge isn't based on his ability to communicate, however, it's also every important that the patient can understand your direction.

So, while I empathize with her original plight if it was a matter of not understanding him, she absolutely went about addressing it poorly and likely had an agenda beyond the lack of service she felt she was getting.

Look, it's no secret that people are frustrated with some of the things happening here (just look to Richmond to see that in action).  And, to be honest, we should use what's happened in the past as a guide, not an excuse to make the same mistakes.  It's important to hear people's frustrations but, unfortunately, when they turn it into a racist rant it's lost in translation.  The very thing she was upset about, she really was guilty of as well.

14 hours ago, Blue_Jays_Canucks said:

Multiculturalism is a sham. Canada is a white settlers country and should be thought of as such. 

:picard: thats about as accurate as saying baseball is a white guys game. 

Of course most of the immigration early on was British and French.... thats the way colonialism works, but you're completely ignoring the fact that immigration has continued to be more and more diverse every year (http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/11-630-x/11-630-x2016006-eng.htm).

20 hours ago, cdubuya said:

While her racist views are misguided I think there are a lot of people in Canada that are just fed up with the health care industry in general. In Kamloops I have friends whose families have been on a waiting list for a family doctor for like 10 years. They are forced to take to their kids to walk in clinics where the doctors have less incentive to fix the underlying problems as they will likely never see that patient ever again. Many choose to forego walk in clinics and go straight to emergency which just clogs up wait times for everyone.

10 years, when the hell did that happen? WTF is going on, it's literally the same in Europe, governments are really starting to stick it to the people.

1 minute ago, canuckster19 said:

10 years, when the hell did that happen? WTF is going on, it's literally the same in Europe, governments are really starting to stick it to the people.

I heard that some doctors offices are implementing a policy where if you don't see them or book an apt for 5 years you're no longer under their care. crazy what's happening with the family doctor situation not to mention crowded af hospitals

11 hours ago, TheHitman said:

It's incredibly difficult to become a doctor in this country, I wouldn't question the ability or knowledge of any of them tbh. 

It is. Every physician has to pass an assessment by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons, which includes communication with patients. Of course some will be better than others, but every one of them has to undergo initial and ongoing assessment, including physicians who trained outside of Canada (http://www.royalcollege.ca/rcsite/credentials-exams/exam-eligibility/assessment-routes-international-medical-graduates-e).

This woman is brining her issues to the clinic, not the other way around. 

I understand the frustration, I mean I'm an immigrant to Sweden and speak fluent Swedish, last time I went to a doctor she was Chinese I assume and could barely understand what she was saying. No reason to go on a racist tirade though, but it is sad that it has gotten to this point. That's what happens when populations start to become "artificially" inflated IMO and governments become reactive to the needs of the population and not proactive.

no that's your own bias Scottish. You assume by asking for a white doctor that she is implying that the white doctor is superior and this is a falsehood. You already assume that a white doctor means that the person can speak English, there are many white skinned people who do not, many middle easterners have white skin. Furthermore, by what the OP posted, she concedes and would just rather have a doctor who can speak English more fluently, nothing wrong with this. I'm not going to defend someone for saying "Paki" but I was only defending the point that asking for a doctor that you culturally identify with is not racist. 

1 minute ago, BaiNongMin said:

no that's your own bias Scottish. You assume by asking for a white doctor that she is implying that the white doctor is superior and this is a falsehood. You already assume that a white doctor means that the person can speak English, there are many white skinned people who do not, many middle easterners have white skin. Furthermore, by what the OP posted, she concedes and would just rather have a doctor who can speak English more fluently, nothing wrong with this. I'm not going to defend someone for saying "Paki" but I was only defending the point that asking for a doctor that you culturally identify with is not racist. 

How is that not racist?   

5 minutes ago, BaiNongMin said:

with all the constraints on the healthcare system in training, costs, access, rural vs urban, wait lists, etc. what makes you think that this is something you should reasonably expect? 

Archived