The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Video of Woman Demanding to See "White Doctor" For Her Son in Toronto Clinic

DonLever

2 hours ago, BaiNongMin said:

I agree that in todays society public humiliation wouldn't be as affective as it was say 30 years ago but I believe it is that way because we've allowed social shaming to become less commonplace and the majority of people seem to be content on minding their own business.

This comment will also tie in to your  Asian context below: if a person is only worried about what other people think in order to save face in a societyor fit in, is it really sincere?  I think not.  A person "is the way they is" deep down inside.  They have to change from within if they want to. If I know somebody is attempting to achieve a good impression that I know is a false one I have no time for that person.  You're either real or you're not.

It is now only too late that some of us have come to realize the complete disintegration of past Canadian values. I feel I need to point out that Canadian values aren't "White" values but they are values that have been established as an example to the rest of the world on how to act and coexist peacefully. 

I like this.  And I see some other posters have chosen a cynical way of looking at this point.

The problem with this new type of laissez faire attitude when it comes to the actions of people within our society, is that it degrades the feeling of community and togetherness that was admirably demonstrated throughout the 90's.

Vancouver is not the same city as it was in the 90's. For good or bad it has exploded in numbers and ethnic growth.  We cannot expect this ideal of multiculturalism and peace and harmony, community feeling to happen even in one generation let alone half of one.  There are so many contributing factors to lack of human interaction and it's not just race differences.  Technology/social media for example is killing real human connection imo.

How many of you feel comfortable enough to leave the house with your door unlocked? 

I do.  I almost never lock my house.

I offer a counterpoint to the above however by saying that there are many Asian cultures that have immigrated here that greatly care about what others think of them, it just happens that they only care if their fellow peoples take issue with it. The Chinese take saving face quite seriously in their culture and this fact could be exploited by the government and others to greatly increase feelings of pride of citizenship. I'm referring to the social proof required by many to act a certain way when it comes to everyday mannerisms.

See above

The government should do a greater job promoting people of different races to being good Canadians to all peoples who call this land home.

It's up to us as individuals, families, faiths, to be good people.  Imo we should be looking for government leadership is little as possible.

The great elephant in the room that many wont talk about is the dual citizenship lack of loyalty to their adopted nation(Canada) over their native country. Some do not have a problem with this and believe minding their own business is the best course of action but it worries me that our country is being exploited by our own generosity. 

Agreed in full.

4 hours ago, Chicken. said:

I think that was this uneducated lady's frustrated way of (wrongly) saying she wanted someone who speaks proper English .. which is fair

Her initial assumption that only white people speak proper English is horribly inaccurate

It's possible. However, her repeated reference to "brown teeth" would seem to refute that conclusion.

I see a lot of people are trying to explain possible reasons for her actions, but the one not many are postulating is that maybe she's just a racist hag. She certainly seems to be based on what I heard.

Here in PR, about half of our doctors are from South Africa and we're glad to have them, Afrikaans accents and all.

15 hours ago, riffraff said:

It's up to us as individuals, families, faiths, to be good people.  Imo we should be looking for government leadership is little as possible.

I agree that the government usually only knows how to mess things up when they get involved and in the end they seemingly only care bout expanding their own power but I cannot turn a blind eye to the fact that our mainstream media is funded by the Federal Government. I believe it was 1 billion dollars they have received in funding or something along those lines. With that in mind, the government has decided to already allocate our funds this way and the best way I can see for them to use that money is to help promote all of those people you mentioned to be better Canadians to one another.

24 minutes ago, BaiNongMin said:

I agree that the government usually only knows how to mess things up when they get involved and in the end they seemingly only care bout expanding their own power but I cannot turn a blind eye to the fact that our mainstream media is funded by the Federal Government. I believe it was 1 billion dollars they have received in funding or something along those lines. With that in mind, the government has decided to already allocate our funds this way and the best way I can see for them to use that money is to help promote all of those people you mentioned to be better Canadians to one another.

Agreed.  In the context of media. Although I think the Canadian media does a better job at non bias portrayal.

55 minutes ago, BaiNongMin said:

One, of the "mainstream media" CBC tv and radio is government funded, the rest are private entities.

On 6/21/2017 at 8:48 AM, S'all Good Man said:

It is. Every physician has to pass an assessment by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons, which includes communication with patients. Of course some will be better than others, but every one of them has to undergo initial and ongoing assessment, including physicians who trained outside of Canada (http://www.royalcollege.ca/rcsite/credentials-exams/exam-eligibility/assessment-routes-international-medical-graduates-e).

This woman is brining her issues to the clinic, not the other way around. 

I don't think theirs an issue with knowledge. I think doctors are super rushed which results in less quality visits, misdiagnosis, etc. 

Why they're so rushed? Shortage of doctors perhaps. So medical clinics tend to be backed up. Trying to see the maximum number of patients per day so they get more $$$ . I'm not sure 

I've had a few family doctors the last 10 years and I've been disappointed in all of them. Super long wait times,  visits which never last longer than 5 minutes, reluctance to make referrals etc. 

19 minutes ago, themcdeal said:

I don't think theirs an issue with knowledge. I think doctors are super rushed which results in less quality visits, misdiagnosis, etc. 

Why they're so rushed? Shortage of doctors perhaps. So medical clinics tend to be backed up. Trying to see the maximum number of patients per day so they get more $$$ . I'm not sure 

I've had a few family doctors the last 10 years and I've been disappointed in all of them. Super long wait times,  visits which never last longer than 5 minutes, reluctance to make referrals etc. 

The quality of doctors has steadily declined over the past 5 decades. Before there was all this technology that allowed doctors to skip corners and have the ability to look up what they need on demand, the times forced doctors to be more proactive and dedicated to their trade. It is now more than commonplace for a doctor to have to "look up" many illnesses and their symptoms and even more concerning their physical skills with use of a stethoscope has become atrocious to the point where many doctors cannot identify an irregular heartbeat. 

The modern doctor is now more similar to the armchair politician who simply looks things up and gives their opinion. There is no doubt why the amount of misdiagnosis and "accidental" death rates have risen in hospitals. Carelessness.

1 hour ago, themcdeal said:

Tell me about it.  It's like their "go-to" solution to everything is to: drink more water and exercise more plus some meds for the pain if there are any.

2 hours ago, themcdeal said:

they actually top out on a maximum billing amount so thats not really an incentive, and the province wants them to run on 10 minute patient visits as much as possible. 

part of the problem is how we organize the system. Going to the ER e.g., is about as inefficient and expensive as it gets if its for things like a flu. There are very few 24 hour clinics, or ones that have testing labs in the same spot so you can do it all at once. There's a lot more we could be doing, but politically the NDP and BC doctors union in particular fights changes like this tooth and nail. 

On 6/21/2017 at 11:03 AM, PhillipBlunt said:

Honestly, this type of thing happens multiple times a day, in every city.

Is the woman a trashy bigot? Yes.

This public shaming does literally nothing to combat the issue at all. It's moral superiority versus unprincipled anger.

Why is that woman reacting like that? What occurrence in her life brought her to the point she was at? These questions beg asking in every instance.

Instead, self-righteous people whip out their smartphones when someone acts outside of the acceptable norm, and records their actions and then posts it on Twitter or Facebook, with no intent outside of public shaming. Then everyone gets a chance to add their two cents and feel better about how much more cultured they are. To what end?

You sure have some valid points in your post, but to play devils advocate here and ask you in that exact situation what would you have had those bystanders do? Should they have just ignored her racism and sat around until she was finished her idiotic rant. Should one of those people stood up and kindly reasoned with her? My point is that in situations like these sometimes the best course of action is not only standing up for yourself but also shaming the culprit. She sure wasn't going to be arrested for what she was saying, I can almost guarantee that if everyone minded their own business that she would have happily carried on with her blatant racism and would have done it again somewhere else. Because if she had the audacity to stand up in a packed clinic and yell out statements that can be received as racism then her little act should be displayed for a much bigger audience (internet) then the doctors office.

14 hours ago, TheFirstLine said:

You sure have some valid points in your post, but to play devils advocate here and ask you in that exact situation what would you have had those bystanders do?

Let her make a fool of herself. There is no obligation on anyone's part to step in and teach her a lesson. 

Should they have just ignored her racism and sat around until she was finished her idiotic rant.

Yes. Why not? 

Should one of those people stood up and kindly reasoned with her? 

Calmly. Yes. Kindly? No. 

My point is that in situations like these sometimes the best course of action is not only standing up for yourself but also shaming the culprit.

Shaming is such a counterproductive practice that actually works to expose pretense and arrogance on the shamer as much as it does to expose the target of their shaming. I get it. Expose ignorance and make a spectacle of it. Make yourself feel better for being a social justice warrior. That person will still be a racist, and will probably dig their heels in even more after that. They'll look for like-minded people to support them, and believe me, they're are way more than most people realize. Organizations exist underground now that will reach out to such people and identify with them. 

She sure wasn't going to be arrested for what she was saying, I can almost guarantee that if everyone minded their own business that she would have happily carried on with her blatant racism and would have done it again somewhere else.

Maybe, or maybe not. People will have their viewpoints, attitudes, and beliefs regardless of what someone with an itchy trigger finger on a smartphone thinks. Thinking that shaming will ever lead to a reduction in racist beliefs or ideals is naive. 

Because if she had the audacity to stand up in a packed clinic and yell out statements that can be received as racism then her little act should be displayed for a much bigger audience (internet) then the doctors office.

I don't think audacity was the motivating factor here. Deep-seated anger, resentment, and fear were. Addressing that is key. 

Years ago, I was on a bus in Richmond where a guy started spouting off about Asians. The racial breakdown of riders was 80% Asian, and not one of them did squat. Zip. Zero. 

The guy continued to release hot air and eventually left the bus when he realized that he didn't have a captive audience or any victims. He essentially was rendered powerless. He was looking for reaction and confrontation, and no one bothered to play the game, as the game wasn't worth playing. And no one took out their phones and filmed it either. 

Archived