The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

MC Prodigy of Mobb Deep has Passed Age 42

tbone909

Sad news on the Hip-hop front as New York MC Prodigy of Mobb Deep has pass at the age of 42.

http://pitchfork.com/news/mobb-deeps-prodigy-dead-at-42/amp/

Mobb Deep’s Prodigy Dead at 42

New York rap legend’s cause of death is currently unknown

has died, a representative for the rapper has confirmed. “Prodigy was hospitalized a few days ago in Vegas after a Mobb Deep performance for complications caused by a sickle cell anemia crisis,” their statement reads. “As most of his fans know, Prodigy battled the disease since birth. The exact causes of death have yet to be determined.” News first broke of the rapper’s passing when Nas posted a photo of him to his Instagram with the caption “QB RIP King P.” He was 42.

Prodigy (real name Albert Johnson) was born in 1974. The son of a long line of musicians, he co-founded the hip-hop duo Mobb Deep with Kejuan Muchita (better known as Havoc) in the early 1990s. They released their debut album Juvenile Hell in 1993, and went on to release three more full-lengths before the end of the decade, continuing to release music and tour together in the new millennium. The most Mobb Deep album, The Infamous Mobb Deep, was issued in 2014. Last year, Prodigy released a collection of his collaborations through a BitTorrent bundle.

new york boom bap is the gold standard of the genre for me, so naturally I really love The Infamous. Havoc's production is amazing. still sounds fresh to this day.

lyrically, they've sorta been diluted by the piles of Raekwon and Nas clones out there, but it still sounds like an honest document of the time

1 hour ago, GLASSJAW said:

new york boom bap is the gold standard of the genre for me, so naturally I really love The Infamous. Havoc's production is amazing. still sounds fresh to this day.

lyrically, they've sorta been diluted by the piles of Raekwon and Nas clones out there, but it still sounds like an honest document of the time

The production on The Infamous is so gloriously dark. It holds up so much better than a lot of 90s production. Havoc really is such an immensely talented dude, and Prodigy complimented him so well. 

It really is a sad day for hip-hop.

I wasn't a Mobb Deep fan at all because of 2Pac but way back when my Lung collapsed and I ended up in the hospital..My friends knew I was a hip hop head and bought me this album..Trust me, that ish was raw as eff and got me through my 2-3 mnths at the hospital..RIP Prodigy.

19250738_10158837584405082_2569183262520

12 hours ago, soosoodeff said:

Pac and prodigy woulda been a great duo. They woulda woke all you sheeples up. He was obviously murdered.

He had sickle cell anemia. Life expectancy is 40-60 years MAX. 

On 2017-06-30 at 11:45 AM, soosoodeff said:

Pac and prodigy woulda been a great duo. They woulda woke all you sheeples up. He was obviously murdered.

Umm...no he wasn't like the homie R said he had a sickle cell anemia. Dude was great in many ways. 

Also, you do know there was beef between PAC and Mobb Deep?

3 hours ago, soosoodeff said:

lol just a front. concious rap got him killed

He did speak out a lot, and spoke his mind and the truth. He up there with NAS, PAC, and Biggie as one of the best. We should discuss this more in the Hip Hop thread in White Noise.

Archived