The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Shea Theodore to Vegas per Mackenzie (ANA-VGK)

Toews

I'm shocked by this as well.  But good for Shea, gonna be given a fair shake at top pairing and top pp mins in Vegas if this shakes out as stated above.  He was buried in Ana and after the playoffs it looked like the ducks preferred Montour.

9 hours ago, timberz21 said:

Seriously, they'd rather keep Vatanen/Manson over Theodore?

yes, they have a window to be competitive and win which involves both Vatanen and Manson. Theodore was deemed expendable since he is although offensive less reliable defensively then say a Brandon Montour. He also will need some time to be a regular contributor which both Vatanen and Manson already are.

8 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Exactly. Got to hope that some deals can be made with Vegas after the draft but unfortunately we have almost no value to trade with. I've had Theodore in my books since he was drafted as a guy we should go after and now he's really going to breakout if he gets give consistent NHL minutes.

exploited as well, he needs to improve defensively. Right now he is a little more risk than reward.

Best possible outcome for the Ducks.

Losing 1 of Theodore/Montour/Larsson was a given. They couldn't afford to give up 1 of their few quality forward prospects in Jones and Steel because of how barren they are in the pipeline with regards to those positions. Management is also pretty high on Larsson and like what they see from Mahura.

Theodore's future was always tied to Fowler's because of their similar play style. With Fowler taking the next step this year and signing an extension soon, that made Theo expendable. Montour also passed him on the depth chart by season's end, though Shea had a strong playoffs. Personally, I'd rather have Theo over Manson, but nobody brings the physicality element that Manson does on the Ducks blueline. Would have also sucked to lose either him or Vats for nothing, but with the depth that the Ducks have on D in their prospect pool, this is not a bad move for them at all.

14 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

yes, they have a window to be competitive and win which involves both Vatanen and Manson. Theodore was deemed expendable since he is although offensive less reliable defensively then say a Brandon Montour. He also will need some time to be a regular contributor which both Vatanen and Manson already are.

I can understand Manson, as he might be a little different style of player.....but Theodore had similar production than Vatanen, he just played less games and less icetime.  In the playoffs, Theodore bested Vatanen. Plus Theodore at 6'2'' vs Vatanen at 5'10'' IMO is much more valuable, especially in the playoff.

There is also Lindholm who can take over Vatanen powerplay duty.

Plus if there window is now, Theodore with his final year of ELC would have saved them 4M$ of cap space over Vatanen, which they could've use for another top 6 forward, which I think what they need with an aging Perry.  Silverberg had a good year, but I think they need better if they really want to win now.

Neway it's done, and IMO it's good for the Canucks, once that aging core of Perry, Getzlaf and Kesler start to decline, Anaheim will fall hard...even with a good defense core, with no goalie and no up and coming top 6, they won't be contenders anymore.

This is one of the transactions that does not make sense to me from a Vegas perspective.

Theodore if things work out will turn out to be a Vatanen type player.

Why not just leave Stoner with Anaheim and take the sure thing?!?

34 minutes ago, Al-mo said:

This is one of the transactions that does not make sense to me from a Vegas perspective.

Theodore if things work out will turn out to be a Vatanen type player.

Why not just leave Stoner with Anaheim and take the sure thing?!?

Vatanen is 26 right now - in his prime. In 2-3 years, when Vegas is ready to truly compete, it would stand to reason that he would be starting to regress.

Theodore isn't even 22 yet. He'll be in his prime in 2-3 years. Fits perfectly. In the meantime, his contract gives them tons of flexibility to take cap anchors for picks.

2 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

VGK had 1 prospect before the draft... your losing me here. 

Lol either I lost you or you just trolled me hard... trade them to another team before the expansion lists had to be submitted. Like the lightening did when they traded drouin for sergatchev and a 2nd.

Archived