The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Hossa done for the year, if not for good

Haven't seen this anywhere.  Maybe it's too early and I missed it.

https://www.nhl.com/blackhawks/news/medical-update-on-marian-hossa/c-290029810

Medical update on Marian Hossa

Veteran winger won't play in 2017-18

by Chicago Blackhawks Media Relations / chicagoblackhawks.com

7:30 AM
  • Facebook Share
  • Twitter Share
  • Google Plus Share
  • Link Share

Statement from Chicago Blackhawks forward Marian Hossa:

Over the course of the last few years, under the supervision of the Blackhawks medical staff, I have been privately undergoing treatment for a progressive skin disorder and the side effects of the medications involved to treat the disorder. Due to the severe side effects associated with those medications, playing hockey is not possible for me during the upcoming 2017-18 season. While I am disappointed that I will not be able to play, I have to consider the severity of my condition and how the treatments have impacted my life both on and off the ice.

The Chicago Blackhawks organization, including Rocky Wirtz, John McDonough and Stan Bowman, and my agent, Ritch Winter, have been very supportive throughout this entire process. I would also like to thank my teammates and the amazing Blackhawks fans for their understanding. With respect to the privacy of my family, I will not be commenting any further on my health.

Statement from Chicago Blackhawks Senior Vice President and General Manager Stan Bowman:

The Chicago Blackhawks are in full support of Marian Hossa as he addresses his medical issues. This is extremely difficult for us because we all know the incredible person and player that Marian Hossa is - competitive, loyal and humble. He has played a major role in the success our franchise has experienced in recent years, which makes his departure from our lineup a significant loss. His teammates and coaches know he battled through some very tough physical difficulties but never complained or missed games despite the challenges he faced. The organization will continue to provide him every resource he needs to maintain his health.

Statement from Chicago Blackhawks Team Physician Dr. Michael Terry:

Marian has been dealing with the effects of a progressive skin disorder that is becoming more and more difficult to treat and control with conventional medications while he plays hockey. Because of the dramatic nature of the medications required and their decreasing effectiveness, we strongly support his decision not to play during the 2017-18 season. We feel in the most certain terms this is the appropriate approach for Marian in order to keep him functional and healthy in the short term and throughout his life.

I know Hossa is a class act and wouldn't participate in that....but can't help but to think this is a Disguised Retirement, to avoid any cap problems for the Hawks.

Too bad, what a sad way to go.  Hopefully, we'll see him back...but at 38, he'll be turning 40 if he comes back...would be a hell of a comeback.

1 minute ago, timberz21 said:

Guessing they had to?

Or throw a smokescreen over a cunning plot to avoid Buttman's cap recapture penalty?

Mind you? Lou could get picked up by Vegas. Get hepatitis from a paper cut dealing cards that had been passed in...

Poof they're both eligible for LTIR! :frantic:

2 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Or throw a smokescreen over a cunning plot to avoid Buttman's cap recapture penalty?

Mind you? Lou could get picked up by Vegas. Get hepatitis from a paper cut dealing cards that had been passed in...

Poof they're both eligible for LTIR! :frantic:

And probably it will be our fault and we will pay the penalty :o

Statement from Chicago Blackhawks forward Marian Hossa:

Over the course of the last few years, under the supervision of the Blackhawks medical staff, I have been privately undergoing treatment for a progressive skin disorder and the side effects of the medications involved to treat the disorder. Due to the severe side effects associated with those medications, playing hockey is not possible for me during the upcoming 2017-18 season. While I am disappointed that I will not be able to play, I have to consider the severity of my condition and how the treatments have impacted my life both on and off the ice.

The Chicago Blackhawks organization, including Rocky Wirtz, John McDonough and Stan Bowman, and my agent, Ritch Winter, have been very supportive throughout this entire process. I would also like to thank my teammates and the amazing Blackhawks fans for their understanding. With respect to the privacy of my family, I will not be commenting any further on my health.

Statement from Chicago Blackhawks Senior Vice President and General Manager Stan Bowman:

The Chicago Blackhawks are in full support of Marian Hossa as he addresses his medical issues. This is extremely difficult for us because we all know the incredible person and player that Marian Hossa is - competitive, loyal and humble. He has played a major role in the success our franchise has experienced in recent years, which makes his departure from our lineup a significant loss. His teammates and coaches know he battled through some very tough physical difficulties but never complained or missed games despite the challenges he faced. The organization will continue to provide him every resource he needs to maintain his health.

Statement from Chicago Blackhawks Team Physician Dr. Michael Terry:

Marian has been dealing with the effects of a progressive skin disorder that is becoming more and more difficult to treat and control with conventional medications while he plays hockey. Because of the dramatic nature of the medications required and their decreasing effectiveness, we strongly support his decision not to play during the 2017-18 season. We feel in the most certain terms this is the appropriate approach for Marian in order to keep him functional and healthy in the short term and throughout his life.

Damn, that's quite the health issue. Hope he gets past it.

It being a skin issue surprises me but I figured the Hawks would get out of his cap recapture one way or another. Hossa didn't plan this, but it's pretty fortunate for the Hawks. Can't wait to see what the Luongo recapture does to us. :rolleyes:

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Damn, that's quite the health issue. Hope he gets past it.

It being a skin issue surprises me but I figured the Hawks would get out of his cap recapture one way or another. Hossa didn't plan this, but it's pretty fortunate for the Hawks. Can't wait to see what the Luongo recapture does to us. :rolleyes:

If he retires within the next couple seasons, we'll be alright. It's if he plays for another five/six years where things start getting hairy.

3 minutes ago, thejazz97 said:

If he retires within the next couple seasons, we'll be alright. It's if he plays for another five/six years where things start getting hairy.

Aye, I'm just hoping the organization makes a big stink and the league forgives it. Retroactively applying punishment was bull$&!# to begin with.

It's not a skin disorder. This is what they told the league so they could dump a heavy contract. He's got allergies to the equipment which is terrible, but not worth LTIR

3 minutes ago, Stamkos said:

It's not a skin disorder. This is what they told the league so they could dump a heavy contract. He's got allergies to the equipment which is terrible, but not worth LTIR

It was first reported as an allergy to his equipment, but it appears that it may actually be an allergy to perspiration/sweat, which is a skin condition and can be very difficult to live with. The medication which helps can also have strong side effects.

While I can live with a year on LTIR, if he were to remain on LTIR past this season I would fully expect the NHL to 'retire' Hossa and impose the recapture penalty. Of course, they'd never do that, but it's ridiculous that the likes of Pronger, Savard, Lupul, Horton and others are sitting on LTIR for years to avoid punishment for those teams involved. This needs to be a focus in the next CBA.

Archived