The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Hossa done for the year, if not for good

3 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Not exactly but lots of staph, fungus and other yucky crap.   Seemed some guys sweat more than others and/or were allergic to their sweat when in combo with equipment.   Being a clean freak helps but you shower in so many weird and wonderful places a second home/hotel shower was always a good idea.   Hossa sounds like he has some bad thing going down and you have to wonder if he underplayed it with team doctors over the years and it got worse.    Other problem with skin things, and thank god I was not one with, I know guys would have magic powders or creams that would work for a few weeks or even a season but after a while it stopped working.   Maybe Hossa ran out of magic treatments?

Also saw lots of bad punctuation but seemingly less related to cleanliness habits.

My dad was on steroid treatments for a few years for a totally different thing, but I did learn that eventually those drugs often end up causing all kinds of nasty crap like loss of kidney function and breathing issues.... maybe he's just topped out on the meds. 

My guess is it was a heartbreaking decision for Hossa, I just don't buy into the idea that this is a cap thing. 

3 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

My dad was on steroid treatments for a few years for a totally different thing, but I did learn that eventually those drugs often end up causing all kinds of nasty crap like loss of kidney function and breathing issues.... maybe he's just topped out on the meds. 

My guess is it was a heartbreaking decision for Hossa, I just don't buy into the idea that this is a cap thing. 

I don't think it is a CAP thing either.    At same time, Hawks will benefit. 

11 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

when you were playing did you ever see any guys dealing with this? Not bad punctuation, Hossa's illness. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=/amp/www.chicagotribune.com/sports/hockey/blackhawks/ct-blackhawks-marian-hossa-tom-reid-20170621-story,amp.html&ved=0ahUKEwjIqrSlqvLUAhXSQD4KHe9PDy0QFghiMAo&usg=AFQjCNHuts9JXSNAxwkefE4ieil3ac4j1Q

Sounds like Tom Reid had a similar situation, and apparently wasn't all that unheard of when he played.

My take is that it is a legit condition, however if the "juice was worth the squeeze" he'd play through it. 

The NHL needs to hammer these things away or it'll further fan the flames of BS. They will finally get tough on recapture when Luongo comes up. Thus screwing the Canucks. 

Tinfoil ready.

17 minutes ago, BabychStache said:

My take is that it is a legit condition, however if the "juice was worth the squeeze" he'd play through it. 

The NHL needs to hammer these things away or it'll further fan the flames of BS. They will finally get tough on recapture when Luongo comes up. Thus screwing the Canucks. 

Tinfoil ready.

Yep if Hossa was our guy we wouldn't hear the end of it from the league.

Reminds me of those who balked at the idea of the Canucks' dressing room having an airflow locker system to dry their equipment.  Like it was some fancy pants, ridiculous idea when , really, it's state of the art and just doing everything to take care of the players.  Seems to be there's something to it and other teams could jump on board if it helps?

13 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Reminds me of those who balked at the idea of the Canucks' dressing room having an airflow locker system to dry their equipment.  Like it was some fancy pants, ridiculous idea when , really, it's state of the art and just doing everything to take care of the players.  Seems to be there's something to it and other teams could jump on board if it helps?

Was that an addition MG made during his tenure? I remember there was a massive list of improvements he convinced aquaman to make... which have since made us a free agent hot spot aside from the city itself being ideal for millionaire athletes to live in

13 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I don't think it is a CAP thing either.    At same time, Hawks will benefit. 

That's the thing, the Hawks don't benefit.

First, the team is without Hossa and that is a major blow to the team.  Second, the way LTIR works Chicago can't just put Hossa in the IR then sign a replacement.  The LTIR process is a bit more complicated than that.  The Hawks won't likely put Hossa on the IR until the season starts, then their options to replace him are very limited.

The only clean way out of this for the Hawks is to trade Hossa's contract.  Even though a cash strapped team (like Carolina or Arizona) could benefit from a move like this they will make the Hawks pay for it with quality prospects and/or draft picks.  4 years is a long time to carry this contract 

40 minutes ago, apollo said:

Was that an addition MG made during his tenure? I remember there was a massive list of improvements he convinced aquaman to make... which have since made us a free agent hot spot aside from the city itself being ideal for millionaire athletes to live in

Yes, it was while he was here.....

9 hours ago, Darth Kane said:

That's the thing, the Hawks don't benefit.

First, the team is without Hossa and that is a major blow to the team.  Second, the way LTIR works Chicago can't just put Hossa in the IR then sign a replacement.  The LTIR process is a bit more complicated than that.  The Hawks won't likely put Hossa on the IR until the season starts, then their options to replace him are very limited.

The only clean way out of this for the Hawks is to trade Hossa's contract.  Even though a cash strapped team (like Carolina or Arizona) could benefit from a move like this they will make the Hawks pay for it with quality prospects and/or draft picks.  4 years is a long time to carry this contract 

Rumour is it may be totally off the books - that is a benefit.  

34 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Rumour is it may be totally off the books - that is a benefit.  

If there is some way the contract is off the books long term without the Hawks trading Hossa I will do cartwheels down Burrard Street.  

I believe Hossa's contract will be managed one year at a time and he goes on LTIR at the beginning of each season which isn't the same as coming off the books completely. The NHL is suppose to rule any day now on the situation.  

9 minutes ago, Darth Kane said:

If there is some way the contract is off the books long term without the Hawks trading Hossa I will do cartwheels down Burrard Street.  

I believe Hossa's contract will be managed one year at a time and he goes on LTIR at the beginning of each season which isn't the same as coming off the books completely. The NHL is suppose to rule any day now on the situation.  

This is being reviewed by NHL right now.   Any why cartwheels, you a Hawks fan?   One team I could never really get behind.   Not sure why.   Like some of the players but some are pieces of work.   Totally unfounded on my part but they are one team I just cannot seem to like.

41 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

This is being reviewed by NHL right now.   Any why cartwheels, you a Hawks fan?   One team I could never really get behind.   Not sure why.   Like some of the players but some are pieces of work.   Totally unfounded on my part but they are one team I just cannot seem to like.

I am a Hawks fan living in Vancouver. I grew up in Toronto but never liked the Leafs. 

I miss the Chicago/Vancouver rivalry, those were good days. I have lots of respect for the Canucks, past (except Kesler) and present. 

2 minutes ago, Darth Kane said:

I am a Hawks fan living in Vancouver. I grew up in Toronto but never liked the Leafs. 

I miss the Chicago/Vancouver rivalry, those were good days. I have lots of respect for the Canucks, past (except Kesler) and present. 

I am neither a long-time Canuck fan (relatively recently) but never a Hawks fan.   Leafs - meh - and I am an Ontario kid.   I do like watching games in Chicago though - one of the best buildings/crowds in NHL hands down on the few times I have had that pleasure.   

I think Hawks - Canuck rivalries are years off - Canucks are on a long climb back up and Hawks are either at or past their peak but not sure they have another Cup in them unless they can unload some contracts.   They may pass each other along the way (Canucks back into playoffs, Hawks last time for a while) or similar but the heady days of a few years back is likely a long ways off.

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, Brad Marchand said:

Apparently the league is investigating his LTIR eligibility just like they're doing with Lupul:

Nice to hear the the league is actually checking into these things. Also interesting to hear that a lot of teams complained about Hossa. I don't expect anything to come from this investigation though.

There isn't much in that Mirtle article. Here's are the key points:

...Here's what we know about the independent review that will take place:

Lupul isn't considered at fault here. This investigation is about whether the league believes the Leafs have misused the system by declaring a healthy player injured in order to get around the roster limit or salary cap. “Essentially it's a safeguard in the CBA to make sure long-term injured reserve is not abused by the clubs,” one source said.

The league initiated this process. I'm told that this wasn't a result of other teams complaining but directly because the league saw the allegations from Lupul on Instagram.

This isn't the first time this has happened. One source called these medical reviews “common,” although it's unclear what exactly that means. (Other sources disputed that these medical reviews happen regularly.) What's interesting is that two are happening at the same time this year: One with Lupul and another with Marian Hossa in Chicago. With Hossa's case, a lot of other teams complained the Blackhawks were getting cap relief.

These reviews are supposed to be completed before the season starts, so we should have more answers within the next 12 days.

(The Leafs declined comment on the situation on Thursday night.)

All this said, I'm told that even if the independent doctor rules there is something off with the medicals that doesn't mean either player will necessarily return to the roster. What it could mean is that the team won't be permitted to use long-term injured reserve to get cap relief from these contracts...

Lupul is at least a decent contributor who wants to play, and he only has one year left on his deal. It shouldn't be too hard to find a team that will take him with a sweetener.

As for Hossa, perhaps a cap floor team will take his contract, and agree to let it just ride it out. They won't have to pay actual salary. But there aren't as many of those teams left, especially one who can let it ride for 4 years. There would have to be some decent assets included, and Chicago needs to hang onto those.

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

You wonder if the Insurance Companies involved aren't asking the league to confirm, it's probably not just the team's money that's also at stake. 

Hmmm I think it depends on each contract. I could be wrong but I remember hearing the Nathan Horton contract wasn't insured... so in that case the leafs have to pay the full bill instead of an insurance company. Which is why CBJ swapped him for Clarkson 

Almost %100 sure I heard that somewhere. 

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

There isn't much in that Mirtle article. Here's are the key points:

Lupul is at least a decent contributor who wants to play, and he only has one year left on his deal. It shouldn't be too hard to find a team that will take him with a sweetener.

As for Hossa, perhaps a cap floor team will take his contract, and agree to let it just ride it out. They won't have to pay actual salary. But there aren't as many of those teams left, especially one who can let it ride for 4 years. There would have to be some decent assets included, and Chicago needs to hang onto those.

Thanks for bolding out the article... saved me some time lol 

I'm not surprised teams complained about the Hossa one... it reeks of corruption.

Regardless, I have a feeling when the reports are done, Stan Bowman and Shanny / Lou will call the old boys club hot line 1-800-OLD-BOYS and have it taken care of.

You would think owners of teams like Arizona, Florida, Or maybe even Canes/Avs would like that Hossa deal. Only have to pay him 1 mill and get 5.3 mill closer to the cap floor.  The 4 years is pretty long though. 

I feel bad for Lupul though... then again, he can wipe his tears with some cash.

22 minutes ago, apollo said:

Hmmm I think it depends on each contract. I could be wrong but I remember hearing the Nathan Horton contract wasn't insured... so in that case the leafs have to pay the full bill instead of an insurance company. Which is why CBJ swapped him for Clarkson 

Almost %100 sure I heard that somewhere. 

Thanks for bolding out the article... saved me some time lol 

I'm not surprised teams complained about the Hossa one... it reeks of corruption.

Regardless, I have a feeling when the reports are done, Stan Bowman and Shanny / Lou will call the old boys club hot line 1-800-OLD-BOYS and have it taken care of.

You would think owners of teams like Arizona, Florida, Or maybe even Canes/Avs would like that Hossa deal. Only have to pay him 1 mill and get 5.3 mill closer to the cap floor.  The 4 years is pretty long though. 

I feel bad for Lupul though... then again, he can wipe his tears with some cash.

Florida and Avs, yeah. But Canes and Arizona are on the verge of competing, and may not want to add anymore dead cap space.

Archived