The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rumor Vegas to get 2nd overall from Philly

With the number of picks Vegas has acquired, it'd only make sense if they can acquire a top 2 pick from Philly/NJD to pick a franchise player. They're going to have a stacked roster and they stated that they're going to move a few of the D they select since they're going to pluck out a lot out of the teams including Sbisa from our very own Canucks most likely. But it does set up for an exciting offseason that's only getting started. Looking forward to how this all unfolds!

Just now, Beary Sweet said:

With the number of picks Vegas has acquired, it'd only make sense if they can acquire a top 2 pick from Philly/NJD to pick a franchise player. They're going to have a stacked roster and they stated that they're going to move a few of the D they select since they're going to pluck out a lot out of the teams including Sbisa from our very own Canucks most likely. But it does set up for an exciting offseason that's only getting started. Looking forward to how this all unfolds!

Me too!  Usually wouldn't watch the awards, but tonight I'll be tuning in for sure, just to see the Vegas stuff.  Heck, the league could have had an entire 3 hour show just for the Vegas selections, trades, and following commentary.  

1 hour ago, cuporbust said:

Seriously , this absolutely screws van s chances of a deal for 3rd. I had no idea they would make it allowable for teams to trade with Vegas to leave exposed players alone. Its completely unfair to teams like Van. I realize they paid a premium, but this is waaaaay over the line.  

Yea I think they will re-evaluate the process for the next time. I hope.

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Keyword: 'could'

The Golden Knights 'could' acquire second overall pick.

The Canucks also 'could' acquire the second overall pick.

Vegas will have more leverage I think though. Be pretty hard to compete with. 

1 hour ago, Filthy McNasty said:

I wonder if it was Canada getting an expansion team, if buttman would give us the vegas treatment or tell us get the players from the local peewee team 

What did Vegas pay for their team? $500 mil. A lot of money. Van's franchise fee, $2 mil? In real terms Vegas is paying more money and could dictate terms to some degree. Not only did the NHL owners get a nice check but they get the increased profile of a Vegas franchise which ultimately will increase the value of their franchises. 

When Van came into the NHL there was a level of envy for them because they were getting equity in a league that was huge in Canada and had been running for 60 years. Equity which they were really not having to pay for. 

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

What did Vegas pay for their team? $500 mil. A lot of money. Van's franchise fee, $2 mil? In real terms Vegas is paying more money and could dictate terms to some degree. Not only did the NHL owners get a nice check but they get the increased profile of a Vegas franchise which ultimately will increase the value of their franchises. 

When Van came into the NHL there was a level of envy for them because they were getting equity in a league that was huge in Canada and had been running for 60 years. Equity which they were really not having to pay for. 

So that's why the league rigged Buffalo getting the 1st pick !  ....JK

1 hour ago, RWMc1 said:

I think it has more to with the Board of Governors' and Bettemans long term vision of growing and establishing markets in the USA. LV is a sought after market for the other major sports and if the NHL can establish a strong toe-hold, it will give the League a stronger presence in the American markets. Starting with a strong team will go a long way to that end.

We don't have to like it though!!!

Board of Governors - it's one representative per team.  It's the Board of Governors that appoints Bettman.

Some teams have multiple owners so they have to decide internally who is their governor - most teams also have several alternates.

4 minutes ago, mll said:

Board of Governors - it's one representative per team.  It's the Board of Governors that appoints Bettman.

Some teams have multiple owners so they have to decide internally who is their governor - most teams also have several alternates.

Is there a point hidden in there somewhere?

Just now, Where'd Luongo? said:

Vegas wants Tanev but the Canucks won't give him up for what they have to offer. Vegas then gets the 2nd overall pick which the Canucks highly sought. Vegas then offers the Canucks the 2nd overall pick for Tanev straight up.

Okay, that would be EXCELLENT!!!  

12 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Vegas wants Tanev but the Canucks won't give him up for what they have to offer. Vegas then gets the 2nd overall pick which the Canucks highly sought. Vegas then offers the Canucks the 2nd overall pick for Tanev straight up.

Wouldn't that be nice haha

18 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Okay, that would be EXCELLENT!!!  

benning seen after doing the Vince McMahon walk in to the united center

Just now, Squamfan said:

benning seen after doing the Vince McMahon walk in to the united center

Oh yes!  I believe we (as Canuck's fans) would all be strutting BIG TIME!!!  It's not going to happen though, but it's fun to at least dream, if only for a little while.

20 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Wasn't it George McPhee that traded Filip Forsberg for Martin Erat?  Maybe we have a shot here.  

Archived