The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Expansion Draft Deals - Pseudo Confirmed

4 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

based on these projected picks, how the heck is LV even going to be able to ice a team in 2018/19?

Looks like it's going to be a traditional expansion type of roster ie. not a very good one. They're loading up on picks and prospects to try to be good in 3-5 years it seems like.

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

The type of money that is behind the Vegas organization, expect them to spend to the cap pretty much every year.

These guys are about a billion dollars in, before they play a single game in October.

Gotta establish a foundation first. They're not likely just going to throw all their money away in their first offseason (if they're smart) How well did that work for Buffalo?

Just now, DeNiro said:

Gotta establish a foundation first. They're not likely just going to throw all their money away in their first offseason (if they're smart) How well did that work for Buffalo?

Very true, but they will show their commitment to the community in Vegas and will try and put forward the best team they possibly can. Just expect money to be no object with them. The ownership group has extremely deep pockets.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

I would imagine it would depend on the length of the contracts they get. The longer they have to commit to things the less likely they'll spend towards the cap.

Just now, Salmonberries said:

Looks like it's going to be a traditional expansion type of roster ie. not a very good one. They're loading up on picks and prospects to try to be good in 3-5 years it seems like.

If you look at all the *projected* ufa's though, that's a lot of pressure to go out and make sure you have a roster for the season after this upcoming one.  

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

If you want a throwaway, wouldn't it be easier to pick coming up UFA like Engelland than an RFA like Shinkaruk?

So I don't think it would be to do with value. It would be more to do with what kind of contract it is.

Yes, if they want a throwaway.  But they aren't anywhere near 50 contracts and need to stock their farm system as well as have some prospects.  In short, it's still saying that the value of a throwaway/UFA pick for them is worth more than the prospects Poirier and Shinkaruk.

17 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Yes, if they want a throwaway.  But they aren't anywhere near 50 contracts and need to stock their farm system as well as have some prospects.  In short, it's still saying that the value of a throwaway/UFA pick for them is worth more than the prospects Poirier and Shinkaruk.

They don't seem to consider Shinkaruk and Poirier 'prospects'.

22 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

If you look at all the *projected* ufa's though, that's a lot of pressure to go out and make sure you have a roster for the season after this upcoming one.  

I believe they are sharing a farm team in year one so they really don't need to sign as many players as you might think.

10 minutes ago, Salmonberries said:

I believe they are sharing a farm team in year one so they really don't need to sign as many players as you might think.

That is correct, they are sharing the Chicago Wolves with St. Louis...I remember how well that worked out for the Canucks lol

8 minutes ago, JamesBlondage said:

That is correct, they are sharing the Chicago Wolves with St. Louis...I remember how well that worked out for the Canucks lol

I can only imagine the hassle that's going to cause if the coach of the Wolves favours the prospects of one team over the other. How does "balance" even happen with that?

It could almost be like roommates. Everything's fine at first until one stops doing the dishes....

1 hour ago, Salmonberries said:

Exactly. Sbisa has to fit in their top six at a reasonable cap hit. Most of us realize he makes a little too much money for what you're getting.

you were saying.... :P

Just now, Salmonberries said:

...I've been expecting you :lol:

couldn't help it ::D

It just seemed like a waste to pass him up, and he actually has improved a lot. But i'm happy for the cap space and room for OJ to make the team. 

Archived