The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should we take Liljegren?

Hortankin

Liljegren  

118 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Before last year he was a top 3 prospect in this year's draft. Unfortunately he caught a case of mono and it affected his draft ranking dropping him down the rankings quite a bit. We all know the effect mono can have on a player and it seems to affect a player for quite a while.

Will he bounce back to that highly touted defender he once was just 1 year ago? I really believe so.

Me myself I want Makar but Liljegren is an enticing pick.

Did I overlook Liljegren?

Can he be the steal of the draft?

Right handed puck moving defenceman. Him and Juolevi could become a great future top pairing.

Juolevi Liljegren

Tryamkin Stecher

Hutton Gudbranson 

1 minute ago, ItsMillerTime said:

We could easily just drop down if want Liljegren 

He could go anywhere between 5-10 imo if JB wants him I wouldn't think he'd risk a trade down. It's such a close race in the 3-10 range I think teams just take their guy instead of tra ding down hoping their guy falls to them

14 minutes ago, ItsMillerTime said:

We could easily just drop down if want Liljegren 

Not really. If 3 teams decide they want defenders before us that's all it would take for us to lose out if that's the player we wanted.

7 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Not really. If 3 teams decide they want defenders before us that's all it would take for us to lose out if that's the player we wanted.

If Dallas keeps the pick I think there's a good chance they go D. It's almost certain the avs take a D. If that happens we most likely chose 1 of Vilardi, Glass or the remaining Dman

1 minute ago, Hortankin said:

If Dallas keeps the pick I think there's a good chance they go D. It's almost certain the avs take a D. If that happens we most likely chose 1 of Vilardi, Glass or the remaining Dman

I guess we'll find out in a couple of days if you are right or not. :)

22 minutes ago, Hortankin said:

He could go anywhere between 5-10 imo if JB wants him I wouldn't think he'd risk a trade down. It's such a close race in the 3-10 range I think teams just take their guy instead of tra ding down hoping their guy falls to them

I can guarantee you he will go 7+. Canucks want a center and Vegas probably will select a center.

3 minutes ago, Hortankin said:

The only D that makes sense for both DAL and AV's is Hieskanen.

DAL already has Klingberg and Honka as PPQB's on the right side,  and av's already have Barrie,

Liljegren and Makar don't really make sense for them to take.  Especially when there D needs is the defensive side of the game. not the offensive.

I actually think the AV's are more interest in taking Vilardi or Glass, A Right had shot that's able to play a 200 ft game, is something they are desperately looking for.   

8 minutes ago, ItsMillerTime said:

I can guarantee you he will go 7+. Canucks want a center and Vegas probably will select a center.

lol

Unless if you have some crystal ball or some insider knowledge, you can't "guarantee" anything. No one can. So many people use that word on these forums to make them sound more "legit" than they really are. Please don't be one of those.

I'm not going to say if you're right or wrong, but come on. Don't pretend you know the future.

4 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

The only D that makes sense for both DAL and AV's is Hieskanen.

DAL already has Klingberg and Honka as PPQB's on the right side,  and av's already have Barrie,

Liljegren and Makar don't really make sense for them to take.  Especially when there D needs is the defensive side of the game. not the offensive.

I actually think the AV's are more interest in taking Vilardi or Glass, A Right had shot that's able to play a 200 ft game, is something they are desperately looking for.   

Yup, I've felt the same way.  Heiskanen will go to either Dallas or Denver -- they need a LHS, so we'll have a choice of Liljegren and Makar, which means one or both of Vilardi or Glass will be there.  Expecting Glass to be his man, but JB's "if you find that top dman you take him because they're rare" and "dmen are wildcards" comments make it pretty interesting.

18 minutes ago, Hortankin said:

Sakic said they will take the best player available which won't be a D if Dallas takes a Dman.

4 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Yup, I've felt the same way.  Heiskanen will go to either Dallas or Denver -- they need a LHS, so we'll have a choice of Liljegren and Makar, which means one or both of Vilardi or Glass will be there.  Expecting Glass to be his man, but JB's "if you find that top dman you take him because they're rare" and "dmen are wildcards" comments make it pretty interesting.

I wouldn't look too much into those comments, no players is a lock to be a top pairing D. There's too much risk to take on a "hope" that the players pans out.  That's why you there are other rounds.  Take the high risk with the less valuable picks. 

I think Hieskanen will be gone before 5, if Dallas passes on him Av's will jump on him.  From the reports I've read;

DAL really likes Hieskanen and Mittelstadt

Av's really like Hieskanen and Vilardi

So in the end canucks will have their pick of center they want to take.  One of Casey/VIlardi, Glass, Pettersson or Necas.  IMO the floors with the first three top 6 centers, so taking them that's the worst you're going to get, where they all have #1 C upside, so to me it seems like a no brainer.  But which of those 3 is the bigger call. 

4 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I wouldn't look too much into those comments, no players is a lock to be a top pairing D. There's too much risk to take on a "hope" that the players pans out.  That's why you there are other rounds.  Take the high risk with the less valuable picks.

His threshold is 50-60 points -- if any were projected to be that they'd be at minimum a solid #3 ranking.

6 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I think Hieskanen will be gone before 5, if Dallas passes on him Av's will jump on him.  From the reports I've read;

DAL really likes Hieskanen and Mittelstadt

Av's really like Hieskanen and Vilardi

I think we've seen the same reports!

6 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

So in the end canucks will have their pick of center they want to take.  One of Casey/VIlardi, Glass, Pettersson or Necas.  IMO the floors with the first three top 6 centers, so taking them that's the worst you're going to get, where they all have #1 C upside, so to me it seems like a no brainer.  But which of those 3 is the bigger call. 

As it appears to be trending, Glass is pretty much the safe and logical pick.  They like CM and Pettersson but Glass seems to have the edge (pun unintended).  Necas hasn't really been mentioned, and Vilardi has been Kah-chucked.

25 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

Sakic said they will take the best player available which won't be a D if Dallas takes a Dman.

Everyone says they'll take the best player available. It's like the league standard "no comment" comment.

We probably shouldn't. 

Safe choice is to pick a center: Vilardi or Glass. I think they project to be a scoring line centers. Both of them have some weaknesses that prevent them from playing in the NHL in two seasons, but the weaknesses are relatively minor. For Glass, it's about getting stronger and for Vilardi, skating efficiency. These weaknesses are pretty minor and these two prospects should not have much of a difficulty in improving on these weaknesses. 

We don't have the luxury to be taking any chances with picking a player like Liljegren. A player, whose ceiling isn't high enough to justify the risk; it seems unclear if he has high enough hockey IQ to become #1 or #2D. We already have players that project to be top 4 in our system.

The only two defencemen that I would consider are Heiskanen and Makar. For Makar, there's a lot of uncertainty and it's clear that this would be a risky pick but his ceiling is much higher, unlike Liljegren, to justify the pick. So, if, after a thorough scouting, Benning has high confidence on Makar's chances of reaching his ceiling, then I wouldn't mind the pick. And for Heiskanen, he brings more certainty than Liljegren in terms of becoming a top 4 defenceman. However, I would select him only if Vilardi and Glass are off the board by the time we make our pick, mainly because we are in a dire need for a scoring line center to fill in for Henrik in 2-3 seasons and the probability of Vilardi/Glass becoming a scoring line center is higher than Heiskanen becoming a top 2D in my opinion.

9 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

His threshold is 50-60 points -- if any were projected to be that they'd be at minimum a solid #3 ranking.

I think we've seen the same reports!

As it appears to be trending, Glass is pretty much the safe and logical pick.  They like CM and Pettersson but Glass seems to have the edge (pun unintended).  Necas hasn't really been mentioned, and Vilardi has been Kah-chucked.

I'd be ok with Glass for sure, i'm fine with any of the tier 2 centers, (Glass, Casey, Vilardi)  One of which will be available at 5. 

Archived