The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] VGK receive Grabovski, 2017 1st, 2019 2nd, Bischoff from NYI

I hope GM JB has someone beside him tonite explaining how these negotiations for retaining players works.

Maybe it's not too late to learn how to become a real NHL GM.

EDIT...

"I agree...and not AT ALL what this post was intended to say.  It was made as a lite hearted joke at Benning

(many of the sharper posters managed to see that)

Ridding the team of Sbisa's 3.6 contract is probably the absolute best result we could have had.

No way we can't replace his play next year with that $$....much rather live w/a developing OJ and 3.6 million in cap space than another year of LS.

Having said that...always liked Luca and hope he and his family enjoy their time there."

3 minutes ago, nickels said:

I hope GM JB has someone beside him tonite explaining how these negotiations for retaining players works.

lol Thanks for the laughs. You make a better comedian than an armchair GM.

5 minutes ago, nickels said:

just curious... what would you have given up to protect Sbisa?

2 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

just curious... what would you have given up to protect Sbisa?

Nothing....just amazed how oblivious Benning always seems to the intricacies of deals.

I'll find his quote somewhere...

How many GMs do you feel didn't know exactly who they were losing ?

Or at least open dialogue to see it go the way they wanted, and what it might take.

Just now, nickels said:

Nothing....just amazed how oblivious Benning always seems to the intricacies of deals.

:picard: so you'd do the same thing he just did, but Jim's the idiot? Okie dokie. 

2 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

:picard: so you'd do the same thing he just did, but Jim's the idiot? Okie dokie. 

No kidding!

nickels, if you want to deride Benning, go find another thread that actually has something worth deriding him for. This is not the thread you're looking for.

Move-ALong.gif

4 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

I will give him credit for assembling the least attractive player base for an expansion team to pick from..

5 minutes ago, nickels said:

Or at least open dialogue to see it go the way they wanted, and what it might take.

They certainly did talk repeatedly, both said so.

I got a record of the conversation from an insider:

McPhee - Hey Jim, not much to pick from your team... anyone you would rather not lose?

JB - Did you watch any of our games last season?  You are welcome to anyone, we suck right now.  We need as many draft picks as we can get and it is a cold day in hell before we give you one just to protect these plugs.

McPhee - Ya, that sounds about right.  Bye.

10 minutes ago, nickels said:

The guy inherited a tire fire and has delt with an ownership who was unwilling to do what needed to be done. 

We now have a team with a handful of solid prospects, and are slowly getting rid of the scraps.  

He is doing a fine job. 

Also, what would you have done differently today?

you would have given picks to keep Sbisa?   

Archived