The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] UFA D - who to target ?

Now that Sbisa is gone I really think we need a veteran D to help bring these young D along as well as free up GMJB to still seek out a trade for Tanev. 

K Alzner ? 

Cody Franson? 

Brian Campbell ? 

I think a puck moving guy like Campbell would be great in practice and for mentoring stetch, Juolevi and Hutton. 

What are the thoughts of Canucks Nation? Do we need a veteran presence, or do we roll with Pedan, Subban, brisboise, etc? 

Thoughts? 

I've said it in a few places, but I think Frason is a cheap and probably better player than Sbisa and I would 100% support signing him. Brian Campbell would be a great veteran option as well that could help our offence on the back end and take some of the pressure off our young guys. 

We have Stecher, Tanev and Gudbranson on the right side so I don't see a need for Franson.

We have Edler, Hutton and one of Juolevi,Holm or Pedan on the left side so I am not sure why we need Alzner or Campbell.

In addition, we have Chatfield, Subban and Biega for depth so I am not sure why we have any immediate need for D-men UNLESS Tanev and/or Edler are moved.

Edler-Stecher

Hutton-Tanev

Pedan/Juolevi-Gudbranson

Biega

(Holm, McEneny, Subban)

Don't think we're in the market for any of those higher priced players as they would bump Pedan/Juolevi off of the roster and all of the other young guys one spot further away from being on the team. Obviously injuries will occur but at least one should have the opportunity to be a regular or we're not really being faithful to the rebuilding model. Only kind of d-man we should be looking at is a depth piece in the Biega mold, in my opinion.

If we move Tanev, which we should, I'd take a flyer on Franson for 1-2 years. Can play on the PP at least.

Edler-Stetcher 

Hutton-Gudbranson

Pedan(?)-Franson

Respectable enough...Let the rest of our D prospects percolate slowly...

Meh, wouldn't bother with over priced ufas usually signed to unmovable contacts. Wait till training camp see who's left and lowball with a one year deal And if there's no takers run with what we've got.if tanev and or edler get moved then it would become more of a pressing need. 

The Nucks will be bad next season and it's okay  one ufa dman won't change that. 

As it stands now Tanev edler stetch hutton gud pedan subban other prospects ect..... 

- Sign Alzner for 5yr x 6 mill

- Trade Hutton to Wash, for Orpik & their 2018 1st R(they need cap space, he has no clause)

- Trade Tanev & 55thOA to Vegas for 1st(13th OA) & Theodore

- Trade Edler to Ottawa, for Harpur & 2018 2nd

- Trade Harpur & 2018 3rd to Mtl, for Juulsen

D-crew of BC Buds...

Alzner ..Stecher

Orpik ..Gudbranson

Theodore ..Juulsen

Pedan .. Biega

pipeline: OJ, Brisebois, McEneny, Tryamkin

Think I saw him mentioned in another thread, but what about signing a guy like James Wisniewski to a PTO. If he makes the team sign him to a cheap 1 year deal. If he's able to stay healthy (always a worry with him), and shows some resemblance of his old self (good right shot pp guy who could put up some points back in the day), then we could flip him at the deadline.

Nope, here is the plan! 2017

June 23rd..........Maker or Liljegren (Both RH)

July 1st..............Trade Tanev and Edler

July 1st..............Sign (LH) Alzner 5 yrs @ 5.75 for 28.75 million

Sign (RH) Shattenkirk 5 yrs @ 7.25 for 36.25 million

#1. Alzner and Shattenkirk are an over all up grade on Tanev and Edler

#2. The different in salary per year is 3.5 million per year which is reasonable for 2 decent UFA defence men

With Tanev  and Baertschi go after prospects...........Keller (ARZ), Reinhart (BUFF), Strome (ARZ)

With Edler go after picks late first or 2 seconds........he will go! lots of takers....call Ottawa

2018 Draft go after BPA.....Probably a Dman

2018 Free agency...............Kane

We would be along ways alone in 12 months......and graduates starting to enter onto the team..............

No signing Miller! PLZ!

Despres seems about a perfect replacement on a 1-2 year deal for low dollars.

He "can" play 2nd pairing on LD in case of injury, he is also young enough to still have a little upside in the right situation.  Mobile and physical, pretty much Sbisa for less dollars.

Edler-Stecher

Hutton-Gudbranson

Despres-Franson

Pedan-Biega

Juolevi stays out of the mess that will be this coming season and be more developed with another year under his belt.

We could also be like every other team in the league and give Vegas a call and see what B level prospect and later round pick they would take for one of their many 3rd pairing LDs

Archived