The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] UFA D - who to target ?

9 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

We have Stecher, Tanev and Gudbranson on the right side so I don't see a need for Franson.

We have Edler, Hutton and one of Juolevi,Holm or Pedan on the left side so I am not sure why we need Alzner or Campbell.

In addition, we have Chatfield, Subban and Biega for depth so I am not sure why we have any immediate need for D-men UNLESS Tanev and/or Edler are moved.

Thats not a list to be proud of.  Franson, Alzner and Campbell are big upgrades..use the Sbisa money on any of them and we've done just fine losing him to expansion.

7 hours ago, Provost said:

Despres seems about a perfect replacement on a 1-2 year deal for low dollars.

He "can" play 2nd pairing on LD in case of injury, he is also young enough to still have a little upside in the right situation.  Mobile and physical, pretty much Sbisa for less dollars.

Edler-Stecher

Hutton-Gudbranson

Despres-Franson

Pedan-Biega

Juolevi stays out of the mess that will be this coming season and be more developed with another year under his belt.

We could also be like every other team in the league and give Vegas a call and see what B level prospect and later round pick they would take for one of their many 3rd pairing LDs

Didn't  Despres retire because  of concussions? Maybe I have the wrong name but I thought it was Him? 

2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Didn't  Despres retire because  of concussions? Maybe I have the wrong name but I thought it was Him? 

He was bought out, although it doesn't ever seem to have been confirmed, I don't think you can buy out an injured player.  So he must have been cleared to play.

No reason to believe he would voluntarily retire and lose salary (especially so young and without having made tons of money) if he could just ride out his injured status as retired a la Pronger.

Just now, gurn said:

Campbell is 38 years old, maybe slowing down, I'd be careful about more than a 1 year deal. If he decides to keep playing I'd think he'd look for a contender to sign with.

And don't we have enough experience on D for a rebuilding team, who is supposed to be giving the young guys ice-time?  I would like to see Pedan get in, and maybe some of the other Utica guys too, like Subban.  Let those guys play, and let's see what we have.  We still have Edler, Tanev, Stecher, Gudbranson, and Hutton to eat up the most minutes.

I'd absolutely say Franson is an upgrade on Sbisa from an offensive perspective.  He's from Sicamous, so I could see going to BC being a draw.

He's probably sign for less than Sbisa money so I'd say it is an upgrade I'd be more than happy with.  

Alzner: I'd be happy with him too.  Give up some of Franson's scoring in return for better defense.  If we were to move Tanev, I would consider signing a guy like Alzner a must if we wanted to try to keep GA down.  If we keep Tanev, I think I'd rather have Franson.  Should also be available around the 3mil mark.

Campbell would be the least desirable from a performance standpoint, imo.  His offensive ability has been declining badly lately.  But with that said, he would likely be willing to make far less than the other two, and certainly has knowledge to pass off to our other more offensively-minded young defensemen.  As a short stop-gap (which he would be anyway given his age) I wouldn't mind this signing either.  

15 hours ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Edler-Stecher

Hutton-Tanev

Pedan/Juolevi-Gudbranson

Biega

(Holm, McEneny, Subban)

Don't think we're in the market for any of those higher priced players as they would bump Pedan/Juolevi off of the roster and all of the other young guys one spot further away from being on the team. Obviously injuries will occur but at least one should have the opportunity to be a regular or we're not really being faithful to the rebuilding model. Only kind of d-man we should be looking at is a depth piece in the Biega mold, in my opinion.

Exactly this - my view as well.

If we sign a UFA D I will be sad.

3 hours ago, Provost said:

He was bought out, although it doesn't ever seem to have been confirmed, I don't think you can buy out an injured player.  So he must have been cleared to play.

No reason to believe he would voluntarily retire and lose salary (especially so young and without having made tons of money) if he could just ride out his injured status as retired a la Pronger.

He is still injured.  It will be a special agreement - the NHLPA is working with the NHL on the terms.

17 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

We have Stecher, Tanev and Gudbranson on the right side so I don't see a need for Franson.

We have Edler, Hutton and one of Juolevi,Holm or Pedan on the left side so I am not sure why we need Alzner or Campbell.

In addition, we have Chatfield, Subban and Biega for depth so I am not sure why we have any immediate need for D-men UNLESS Tanev and/or Edler are moved.

we also have a long history of injuries particularly regarding defense. I think we need to sign both of franson and campbell. That powerplay is awful, franson can help.

Not saying we should sign any, but if we did...Franson, as long as the price (both $$$ and length) are reasonable. Not because he's a BC boy, that is stressed too much. He is big, he does have a decent shot, and would provide Joulevi with another year for his body to mature. With Sbisa gone, we've got:

Edler - Stetcher

Hutton - Guddy

Tanev - ?

Franson would be ok there. #s 7 and 8 would be Pedan and Biega (in that order).

15 hours ago, kloubek said:

I'd absolutely say Franson is an upgrade on Sbisa from an offensive perspective.  He's from Sicamous, so I could see going to BC being a draw.

He's probably sign for less than Sbisa money so I'd say it is an upgrade I'd be more than happy with.  

Alzner: I'd be happy with him too.  Give up some of Franson's scoring in return for better defense.  If we were to move Tanev, I would consider signing a guy like Alzner a must if we wanted to try to keep GA down.  If we keep Tanev, I think I'd rather have Franson.  Should also be available around the 3mil mark.

Campbell would be the least desirable from a performance standpoint, imo.  His offensive ability has been declining badly lately.  But with that said, he would likely be willing to make far less than the other two, and certainly has knowledge to pass off to our other more offensively-minded young defensemen.  As a short stop-gap (which he would be anyway given his age) I wouldn't mind this signing either.  

Imagine movin from Moose Jaw to Sicamous?..I'd be Sicka' moose, byGawd!

I'd go with Campbell for 2 years. He already won a cup, so maybe he'd be content with a mentoring/support role, and can help the PP. Gudbranson played with him in Florida, and supposedly they're good friends. I would like to see Subban and Juolevi get a hard look at camp this year though.

Archived