The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017-2018 line up (with what we have)

Caniners77

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That's my point.  Most teams Cup wining teams(even Betman himself said too) go through an extended down turn to rebuild.  History shows that teams, with at least one of their own top three picks playing a core role, win Cups.  Sure there are teams with top three picks who don't win Cups too.  But every Cup winner (except the loser Bruins) over the last decade has one or more of those top three picks in their core.  For us, our most prolonged period of success was with the twins at our core. They were picked top three.

The bolded statement is not entirely true. The 2006-07 Ducks and 2007-08 Red Wings did not have a single player in the lineup that they drafted in the top three.

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

Is the ultimate goal to win a Cup?  

That attitude gets you the position Colorado is in right now. 

Tell me if you're paying for tickets in Denver, do you consider cutting your ticket membership? Here there is riots in the streets for less...

2 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

The bolded statement is not entirely true. The 2006-07 Ducks and 2007-08 Red Wings did not have a single player in the lineup that they drafted in the top three.

Sounds good.  We need to trade our current youth for aging vets in hopes of a Cup run.

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That's my point.  Most teams Cup wining teams(even Betman himself said too) go through an extended down turn to rebuild.  History shows that teams, with at least one of their own top three picks playing a core role, win Cups.  Sure there are teams with top three picks who don't win Cups too.  But every Cup winner (except the loser Bruins) over the last decade has one or more of those top three picks in their core.  For us, our most prolonged period of success was with the twins at our core. They were picked top three.

I don`t care Alf. LA didn`t tank and won the cup as well. They got a top 3 pick after an injury riddled season that caused them to crash and burn. There`s plenty of stars in this league that weren`t top three picks.  I don`t believe you have to tank to build a contender. We didn`t tank to get the Sedins after all. It really just comes down to building a complete team.

The real Alf would know there`s more than one way to skin a cat.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Sounds good.  We need to trade our current youth for aging vets in hopes of a Cup run.

Worry less about the cup and more about good hockey. The cup won`t change your life. Good hockey is a full season of enjoyment.

3 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

That attitude gets you the position Colorado is in right now. 

Tell me if you're paying for tickets in Denver, do you consider cutting your ticket membership? Here there is riots in the streets for less...

Pay to the Cap floor, and reduce ticket prices.  Sell hope for a better future with your top picks - Mackinnon for example.

1 minute ago, Baggins said:

Worry less about the cup and more about good hockey. The cup won`t change your life. Good hockey is a full season of enjoyment.

I have yet to see a parade celebrating a good game.  

In NA sports it's all about the championships, isn't it?

For myself, I will gladly put up with the pain of watching bad hockey for a very good team later on.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That is not the point. The point is how you build a team without purposely tanking. Every draft, we see players being taken in the later rounds or even later in the first round that become very good NHL players. If you want the team to have a mindset to purposely tank before the season even began so they could take a chance at getting a player in the top three, that is pretty foolish and impacts the current prospects having a 'not-win' mindset.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Pay to the Cap floor, and reduce ticket prices.  Sell hope for a better future with your top picks - Mackinnon for example.

You did not answer the question. Are you paying to watch Fedor TYutin get walked and abused nightly?

No. You will watch on TV, and turn it off when the score is 5-1 early in the 2knd.

Just now, Alflives said:

I have yet to see a parade celebrating a good game.  

In NA sports it's all about the championships, isn't it?

For myself, I will gladly put up with the pain of watching bad hockey for a very good team later on.  

Still won`t change your life Alf. Are you a season ticket holder who will continue paying through that crap no matter how long it takes? Or do you just change the channel when the game is over in the first period? I suspect the majority of those crying for the full on tank are not buying season tickets and only buy an occasional ticket when the team is good. They don`t put their money where their mouth is.

We`ve finished and 2nd and 3rd from the bottom the past two years. How many top 3 picks have we got for it? Just how many years would you be willing to tank and pay to go to games. Then you still need to build a team. Many teams have a proven a couple of stars won`t get it done. It takes a complete team. Since 1999 the Islanders have had 12 top 10 picks, 6 of those were top 5 and 2 of those were 1st overall. How many cups Alf? The better question is actually how many playoff appearances. No guarantees of success.

I`ll take the team trying to win rather than the team set up to fail thank you very much. Luckily for me Benning agrees. I think he`s well on his way to building a good team.

Btw, championships is the goal, it`s not what sports are all about. There`s a difference. Sports are about competion. Not trying to lose in the hopes of winning years later.

On 9/20/2017 at 5:33 AM, Kenny Powers said:

I think you are close

From what all that the coaches and management have said and how the pre-season has gone

I think the opening day 23 will be like 

Baertschi Horvat Boeser ------------ 2A

Sedin Sedin Granny ------------------ 2B 

Eriksson Sutter Vanek --------------- 3A

Rodin Burmistrov Gagner ----------- 3B

Dorsett                                ( LTIR or 13th )

Boucher / Upshall                ( 13th if DD can start on LTIR )

Hutton Tanev

Del Zotto Gudbranson

Edler  Stecher

Weircioch / Biega / Pedan       ( 7/8 one gets traded or waived )

Markstrom

Nilsson 

If Dorestt can start on LTIR then Boucher / Upshall  takes the 13th spot 

Goldy JV and Dahlen all start in Utica till injury or trade do to asset management and waivers 

6 hours ago, Freaky Freak said:

I think you are close

From what all that the coaches and management have said and how the pre-season has gone

I think the opening day 23 will be like 

Baertschi Horvat Boeser ------------ 2A

Sedin Sedin Granny ------------------ 2B 

Eriksson Sutter Vanek --------------- 3A

Rodin Burmistrov Gagner ----------- 3B

Dorsett                                ( LTIR or 13th )

Boucher / Upshall                ( 13th if DD can start on LTIR )

Hutton Tanev

Del Zotto Gudbranson

Edler  Stecher

Weircioch / Biega / Pedan       ( 7/8 one gets traded or waived )

Markstrom

Nilsson 

If Dorestt can start on LTIR then Boucher / Upshall  takes the 13th spot 

Goldy JV and Dahlen all start in Utica till injury or trade do to asset management and waivers 

How does Dorsett go on LTIR when he's not only been cleared to play he is playing? A player actually does need to be injured to be put on LTIR. lol

6 hours ago, Baggins said:

How does Dorsett go on LTIR when he's not only been cleared to play he is playing? A player actually does need to be injured to be put on LTIR. lol

Apparently if he is not able to play to 100% he can go on LTIR

And from what was said by BM on TSN (and I agree) he does not look like he is playing at his old self or playing as physical

And with such a major operation in such a sensitive area 

He will be able to go on LTIR at anytime 

SO THAT IS WHY I SAID IF ABLE 

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY "TIPS"

On 20/09/2017 at 0:21 PM, Baggins said:

Wish I could give you more than +1. It was so much fun watching the west coast express, Bure's speed and the Sedins in their prime.  As much as I would love a cup, I'd rather watch a good product every night. 

2 hours ago, Freaky Freak said:

Apparently if he is not able to play to 100% he can go on LTIR

And from what was said by BM on TSN (and I agree) he does not look like he is playing at his old self or playing as physical

And with such a major operation in such a sensitive area 

He will be able to go on LTIR at anytime 

SO THAT IS WHY I SAID IF ABLE 

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY "TIPS"

It doesn't matter about being 100%. Players play all the time when they're not 100%. What matters is being medically cleared to play, which he obviously has been. It's up Dorsett himself to some extent and how he feels once cleared by the medical staff. He hasn't played in some time. I don't blame him for easing into it to get the feel of it as it is just preseason.

YOU'RE WELCOME.

58 minutes ago, Baggins said:

It doesn't matter about being 100%. Players play all the time when they're not 100%. What matters is being medically cleared to play, which he obviously has been. It's up Dorsett himself to some extent and how he feels once cleared by the medical staff. He hasn't played in some time. I don't blame him for easing into it to get the feel of it as it is just preseason.

YOU'RE WELCOME.

It was the legend BM of TSN that said he can still be placed on LTIR even if plays the preseason if he or the team feel he is not ready

SO I WILL TAKE BOB'S WORD OVER A BAGGINS

THANKS MUCH

9 hours ago, Freaky Freak said:

It was the legend BM of TSN that said he can still be placed on LTIR even if plays the preseason if he or the team feel he is not ready

SO I WILL TAKE BOB'S WORD OVER A BAGGINS

THANKS MUCH

Good luck swinging it past the league.

YOU'RE WELCOME.

Archived