The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] EDM trades Eberle to NYI for Ryan Strome

So in the past couple years the coil have given a 16th pick (Barzal), a 33rd pick and Eberle (a former first rounder)  to the Islanders for Griffin Reinhart  (gone for nothing) and Ryan Strome.

Yeah, thats genius management.  It must be nice to inherit an embarrassment of riches in order to take chances like this.

1 minute ago, R3aL said:

Looks like a win for NYI.. no?

Really was expecting Eberle for Harmonic or Eberle for Barrie

Thought Eberle>Strome unless his playoff performance really hurt his trade value or there is more pieces or what the hell do i KNoW?!/

I don't know man, the Isles center depth is pretty woeful to begin with and moving a center for a winger doesn't do them many favours, neither does adding $6 million in cap space.

I think the biggest take away from this is

The Isles are the WORST managed franchise in the NHL bar none.  The Oilers may have been the worst franchise statistically over a decade but for almost 20 years the Isles have been absolutely horrifically run

2 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Looks like a win for NYI.. no?

Really was expecting Eberle for Harmonic or Eberle for Barrie

Thought Eberle>Strome unless his playoff performance really hurt his trade value or there is more pieces or what the hell do i KNoW?!/

I thought Strome is a young (high draft pick) center with plenty of upside.  This looks like a win for the Oilers, because the clear out Eberle's contract, while getting back a young top prospect, no?  What am I missing about this?

1 minute ago, Pears said:

How was Chairelli a GM of the year candidate again?

Dumping a $6 million a year winger contract for a center to a team needing centers while still having 2 quality young centers to trade and having one of the best playmaking prospects in the world still in the AHL is part of it IMO

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

I don't know man, the Isles center depth is pretty woeful to begin with and moving a center for a winger doesn't do them many favours, neither does adding $6 million in cap space.

I think the biggest take away from this is

The Isles are the WORST managed franchise in the NHL bar none.  The Oilers may have been the worst franchise statistically over a decade but for almost 20 years the Isles have been absolutely horrifically run

??? - Lee, Bailey, Nelson, and Ho-Sang can all play center. Then they have Barzal on the way too.

Any combination of those 3 + Tavares is pretty far from "woeful", IMO.

1 minute ago, Darius71 said:

So in the past couple years the coil have given a 16th pick (Barzal), a 33rd pick and Eberle (a former first rounder)  to the Islanders for Griffin Reinhart  (gone for nothing) and Ryan Strome.

Yeah, thats genius management.  It must be nice to inherit an embarrassment of riches in order to take chances like this.

He's a terrible Gm. His overall track record for making trades is atrocious. . If EDM wasn't gifted McDavid they would still be in the dumps. McJesus the saviour, makes everyone in that organization look good. 

3 hours ago, Kungfudru said:

He's a terrible Gm. His overall track record for making trades is atrocious. . If EDM wasn't gifted McDavid they would still be in the dumps. McJesus the saviour, makes everyone in that organization look good. 

Exactly what I was thinking.  Not only does McNugget make everyone look good, he makes their jobs easier by making deadmonton a palatable destination for UFAs.  Would Lucic have gone to Edmonton to play with Hall and the Nuge if McLotto wasnt there?   Mind you Lucic looks like a 1970s diesel volkswagon trying to keep up with the rest of them but thats besides the point. Chiarelli inherited an embarrassment of riches, he can afford to lose multiple hands in a row and he will still come out looking good.

1 minute ago, D-Money said:

??? - Lee, Bailey, Nelson, and Ho-Sang can all play center. Then they have Barzal on the way too.

Any combination of those 3 + Tavares is pretty far from "woeful", IMO.

Barzal and Tavares.  Lee and bailey are our versions of Sutter only younger.  Great middle 6 but not true top 6.  I don't see it.

Archived