The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will there be a new Gillis?

Hortankin

Now MG had quite a bit of success as GM here, but the team he had was mostly built by Burke and Nonis.

Fast forward a few years we have a GM rebuilding. He's gotten us some really nice young prospects and the future is looking bright. Now any sensible hockey fan can see our window of contention is still shut and won't be open for another year or 2.

Will ownership allow these young guys to develop or will they cut JB loose before people get to see the great job he is actually doing? 

JB is a really good GM and the way people bash him for the terrible finishes the last 2 years is just really close minded. Everyone of us knew this was going to be a tough transition and we would have some down years.

If we are not back to the playoffs by 2019-2020 season I say fine let him go, but don't fire him if we have a bad year next year. It's kind of expected

So do you believe there will be a new Gillis riding JBs success, or will they let JB show off what he built?

9 hours ago, TimberWolf said:

No one is bashing benning for the crappy finishes. They are bashing him for trying to trade his way out of a rebuild and still only managed crappy finishes.

Explain exactly how he's trading out of a rebuild?

2nd for Baertschi - steal

Shinkaruk for Granlund - steal

McCann for Gudbranson - steal (imo)

Hansen for Goldobin - steal (Sharks lost)

Burrows for Dahlen - robbery

If anything he's rebuilding quite well via trade

I tend to agree with you Hortankin. Gillis inherited a team ready to make a push in the playoffs. The Sedins and Bieksa were in their prime, Kesler, Edler, and Burrows were coming into their own, Luongo was a star. But then age caught up with the Sedins and Bieksa. Kesler and Luongo wanted out, and Edler has been playing very uninspired. This is what Benning inherited, along with a shallow prospect pool. He's done a great job rebuilding the team so far. I hope he's the GM for a long time.

12 minutes ago, Hortankin said:

2nd for Baertschi

Shinkaruk for Granlund

McCann for Gudbranson

Hansen for Goldobin

Burrows for Dahlen

the first three we got older and none of those players changed our losing fortunes, Sven is Mason raymond except slower, Gran is a replacement Higgins except more passive and Gud is a 5/6 Dman

Hansen trade only happened because of the expansion draft or we'd still have him

The Burr trade was okay but 2 years late

Sorry, but this list isn't blowing anyone's skirt up. Benning at best is a mediocre GM with odd pro scouting decisions. 

And before anyone decides my intent, I would have fired Gilis after 2012, the team was done and trying to turn us into the Bruins was stupid. 

21 minutes ago, Hortankin said:

If anything he's rebuilding  retooling quite well adequately via trade

12 minutes ago, TimberWolf said:

Hansen trade only happened because of the expansion draft or we'd still have him

Yes and that's quite alarming imo.

35 minutes ago, TimberWolf said:

the first three we got older and none of those players changed our losing fortunes, Sven is Mason raymond except slower, Gran is a replacement Higgins except more passive and Gud is a 5/6 Dman

The Burr trade was okay but 2 years late

Sorry, but this list isn't blowing anyone's skirt up. Benning at best is a mediocre GM with odd pro scouting decisions. 

And before anyone decides my intent, I would have fired Gilis after 2012, the team was done and trying to turn us into the Bruins was stupid. 

Your 1st paragraph is that ridiculous I'm not even going to try and argue it.

Burrows would not have got Dahlen 2 years ago, not even close. People wanted to buy Burrows out for no return and a cap penalty. Imagine that.

Fire Gillis right after winning back to back president trophy's?

Atleast think a tiny bit before you speak

man posters here are funny. When we were on top MG was godly on these boards. He was so overrated. Remember all the BS about him changing the culture of this team? He didn't change dick. He was reviled by other GMs due to his past job and his arrogance did not do him any favors in endearing himself to others. He convinced ownership to spend money which they did (to their credit), but it did not amount to anything sustainable. I don't think you will see another former agent turned GM any time soon.

1 minute ago, cdubuya said:

man posters here are funny. When we were on top MG was godly on these boards. He was so overrated. Remember all the BS about him changing the culture of this team? He didn't change dick. He was reviled by other GMs due to his past job and his arrogance did not do him any favors in endearing himself to others. He convinced ownership to spend money which they did (to their credit), but it did not amount to anything sustainable. I don't think you will see another former agent turned GM any time soon.

Not really saying a former agent. More so asking if anyone thinks there will be a new GM riding Benning's successful rebuild

2 minutes ago, cdubuya said:

Yeah he was so reviled by other Gms they voted him GM of the year. Even Burke voted for him.

1 hour ago, CanuckGAME said:

Gillis didn't ride anyone's success 1st off.  

Well said. MG upgraded so much of our off ice infrastructure and made it a world class organization for free agents to come to (not mentioning all existing players). The off ice operational improvements he made were incredible for the time. 

57 minutes ago, Hortankin said:

2nd for Baertschi

Shinkaruk for Granlund

McCann for Gudbranson

Hansen for Goldobin

Burrows for Dahlen

You're missing Vey deals... The robbing of Bonino and 2nd for Sutter, the Dorset deal... 

He did well this TDL though. That I admit. Had to make up for the atrocious  TDL he had the year before. 

In my mind, Jim is not the right man for the Job, nor is Trevor for keeping him in power. 

6 minutes ago, cdubuya said:

We would have won a championship if Aaron Rome didn't wake the bear. Then he would've become a god in BC for sure.

15 minutes ago, cdubuya said:

Literally the best era in franchise history

"but it did not amount to anything sustainable"

1k6BlAd.gif

1 hour ago, Hortankin said:

There is no question that he tried to "fast-forward" the rebuild in his first 2.5 years on the job. He traded away more picks than he acquired and he tried to buy low on older, failing prospects that other teams gave up on instead of drafting his own because he didn't want to wait for 18 year-olds.

He had an excellent trade deadline this February that rectified a few of his earlier mistakes but there's still damage to be undone. Not embracing the full rebuild from day 1 has cost us time.

1 hour ago, Hortankin said:

Now MG had quite a bit of success as GM here, but the team he had was mostly built by Burke and Nonis.

Fast forward a few years we have a GM rebuilding. He's gotten us some really nice young prospects and the future is looking bright. Now any sensible hockey fan can see our window of contention is still shut and won't be open for another year or 2.

Will ownership allow these young guys to develop or will they cut JB loose before people get to see the great job he is actually doing? 

JB is a really good GM and the way people bash him for the terrible finishes the last 2 years is just really close minded. Everyone of us knew this was going to be a tough transition and we would have some down years.

If we are not back to the playoffs by 2019-2020 season I say fine let him go, but don't fire him if we have a bad year next year. It's kind of expected

So do you believe there will be a new Gillis riding JBs success, or will they let JB show off what he built?

The only ones that kind of expect it are the media hacks you keep believing that foster a self-perpetuating cycle of cynicism in this market.

Will there be a new Gillis? With this owner, and this cynical market, probably.

26 minutes ago, cdubuya said:

Not sure what you're talking about... the changes he convinced ownership to make have had a permanent affect. He upgraded almost all the infrastructure... made it more luxurious for the players... took better care of all the players... he went over and above. 

Arrogance? His job wasn't to do other GM's favours. His job was to make his team successful and he gave us the most successful years we may ever have. 

MG's legacy will live on.

Archived