The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(New) Time Capsule - Prediction Thread for 2017-18 NHL season

Canorth

Decided to start this a little earlier this year. 

The rules are the same:

1) Everybody gets 1 post (please be honest) in which they are allowed to post their prediction for the upcoming season.

2) This post can be edited as much as you like right up until 6:00 PM October 7th - opening night against the Oilers.

3) After the Canucks season opener, the thread will be locked, sealed and pinned by a moderator only to be opened again once the Vancouver Canucks have played their last game of the season (when ever that may be). This will hopefully fuel some interesting discussions at the end of the season.

4) Please, NO DISCUSSION WITHIN THIS THREAD, until it

is re-opened. It will only get messy.

5) You can include anything you want in your post and it doesn't have to be just about the Canucks - standings, line-ups, trades, proposal predictions ect..

Bo, Brock and Granny all score 25-30 goals this year.

Sedins similar production to last year. Sign for one more year. 

Stetcher hits 30 points. 

Edler traded at deadline. 

The team, as a whole, significantly improves but a young still gelling up and coming d-core has some growing pains and Markstrom (plays excellent) injures his knee and is out for a portion of the season. Canucks finish in bottom 10 and win the 3rd pick.

Toronto and Edmonton barely miss the playoffs and it is hilarious. 

Reserved

After seeing the Draft and UFA signings, i see JB collecting a group of young players he expects to become the next core in two to four years.  The UFA signings are simply placeholders until that next group matures.  We will continue to be a bottom five team.  

Many of the players on this year's opening night roster will not be on our team in 2-4 seasons, as they will be replaced by JB's younger group.  

Boeser wins Calder.

Team makes playoffs.

Gaudette and Juiolevi join team and help in playoff run.

Canucks beat Oilers in the Conference Final.

Canucks bet Tampa in the Cup Final.

Alf leads parade down Georgia on his scooter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Predictions:

• Canucks will make the playoffs
  • Bo Horvat will lead the team in points
  • Markus Granlund will lead the team in goals
  • Henrik Sedin will lead the team in assists
  • Chris Tanev will have the highest +/-
  • Derek Dorsett will lead the team in penalty minutes
  • Brock Boeser will lead the team in shots on goal

PREDICTION - Canucks will not make the playoffs but will have more points than last season.   One of Boeser, Goldobin or Juolevi will make the team and end up in the top 10 in Calder voting - the other two will not make the team.   Demko plays NHL regular season games.   Virtanen not only makes the team but gets top 9 minutes by time season is about 1/2 done.

For other teams - Edmonton takes a big step backwards due to poor D, lack of consistent goaltending and general lack of offence after first line.    Calgary takes a modest step back.   Las Vegas isn't nearly as good as everyone who is hyping them says they will be and they fight to stay out of 28-31 place territory.

77 points

Gud and vanek leave as free agents for nothing upon seasons end. deadline sees young players traded for an older defenseman (Jake and Goldy perhaps)

Granlund will be the first player to inhabit Green's doghouse. Will stay there most the season

Powerplay will not improve until major changes that will take too long to make

Bo gets 68 points to lead the team again.

Brock gets an injury call up halfway through and plays to well to send down. It'll be debated he could have been in rookie of the year voting if he had a full season

Goaltending will be steady but blamed for the bad defense. (from forwards and D-men)

Canucks will have one of those bad team quick starts that'll dwindle back down as the season goes on. 

Henrik 17 goals 37 assists Close points-wise

Daniel 22 goals 30 assists Same

Loui 25 goals 32 assists  Used as a defensive player Under-rated

Granlund 22 goals 28 assists.Same

Baertschi  24 goals 25 assists Injury setback

Horvat 22 goals 35 assists Same

Stecher is targeted and is injured for part of the season. Thankfully it was minor

Hutton regains his form.  I meant next season Get working Hutton, I'm making this same prediction next season

Edler is still our cornerstone on D. Nailed one at least

Gudbranson impresses and is signed to a long-term contract. Stay healthy dude

The new guys play up to expectations. I guess I should have listed my expectations They were what I thought they were!

Our goaltenders play more good than bad games. #1 shifts several times throughout the season. They started well but lost confidence and took a long time to re-find it

Canucks take the Stanley Cup but are forced to return it to it's rightful owners. This happened, but the League is hushing it up

A despicable segment of our media and fan base will once again choose their favourites (focusing only on positive traits and ignoring any mistakes) and will attack other of our players who play a similar role (focusing only on negatively perceived traits). Edler, Dorsett, Megna and Chaput are still the main targets. Two of the new guys are targeted as well. Close no Megna and hardly any Champut Dorsett took his before the season started and then shut them up. Gagner joined the crowd DZ to some extent.

Las Vegas,  Colorado and NJ and/orDetroit will compete for worst team. Fourth worst is the best we can hope for draft-wise. A boost in secondary scoring will push us even further up the standings. When we don't finish at the bottom, the fevered pitch of the whining tankers will grow so intense that it will start breaking thinner glass and will drive many dogs crazy. I switched the teams below us several times I should have stuck with my original choices. The new rule changes had me over-thinking things. I went with paranoia favoured teams in the betteman hierarchy.

I didn't pick top teams because of the rule changes and the slight shuffle that always occurs

Next season we will be a Playoff team    I'm making this prediction now!!!!!

I think we will pick up several UFAs and go for it because of the 50th celebrations. Scoring by committee and a solid team game. Markstrom and Nilsson? will have a more confident season. Yes, there is pie in the sky! You just have to know where to look.

Brock Boeser will play his first game of the season in Utica, then be immediately called up and never sent down again. numb3r 16 then will have to change his username to IReallyLoveMen10:

On 1/4/2017 at 9:00 PM, numb3r 16 said:

If boeser is in a comets jersey at the start of next season I will change my username to 'IReallyLoveMen10'.

4 hours ago, Brad Marchand said:

Brock Boeser will play his first game of the season in Utica, then be immediately called up and never sent down again. numb3r 16 then will have to change his username to IReallyLoveMen10.

and the Canucks finish 25th 

• -SN- pinned this topic

Canucks will finish 26th in the league. 

Sedins will sign contracts for one more year. 

Bo will wear the A full time. 

Granny will score 22 goals and win unsung hero again. Bo will score 27 goals and win team MVP. Baer will score 19 goals. Brock will score 19 goals as well and win most exciting player. 

Marky still will not be promoted to number one. He and Nilsson will split their time almost evenly. Marky will be the better, more consistent of the two. 

Danny will score his 1000th point at home in late Nov. 

- Brock Boeser scores 30 goals

- Bo Horvat is named an assistant captain and really takes this team on his shoulders (60+ points)

- Canucks will draft Elias Pettersson and he and Dahlen will dominate together where ever they play

- Virtanen starts the year in Utica but is eventually called up

- Juolevi makes the team and has quality ice time

- Thatcher Demko will win 30+ games in Utica

- Brandon Sutter has a very productive season

- Canucks finally get luck at the draft lottery and finish in position to land Rasmus Dahlin

Canucks will finish 29th in the league.

Neither Sedin will hit 50 points.

Horvat will finish with similar point totals to last season.

Boeser make the team out of camp and have something similar to a 20 goal/40 point season and get some Calder consideration.

Juolevi will make the team out of camp, but will be a healthy scratch quite often, playing only about 50 games. Up and down rookie season.

Dahlen will not make the team out of camp, and opt to play in Sweden's first division where he will do quite well.

Bear Cheese will put up similar numbers to last season.

Granlund will take a noticeable step forward and push for 25 goals/50 points.

Goldobin will take some strides, but struggle with consistency and be a healthy scratch from time to time. Around 10-15 goals/20-30 points.

Hutton will have a decent bounce back season, as will Gudbranson.

Stetcher will put up around 30 points.

(31st)Dead last and draft 4thOA and at the cap limit ...lol.

Blundering  benning  gets fired(thankgod) and a GOOD gm with experience and a actual  plan gets hired. 

The 22 million spent on ufa day does nothing to sell tickets or improve the teams 31st place finish.36 million ericson 22million this summer(just to ufas) total 58 million committed to finish last....again and again and again with and empty building. 

past predictions 

16/17 season 30th   Finished 29th

15/16 season 25th   Finished 28th

- Boeser leads the team in scoring and wins the Calder trophy

- Horvat is named alternate captain, goes to All Star game again, gets Selke nomination

- Stecher leads all Canuck D in scoring

- Canucks are unable to get a deal with Miller, start the year with Markstrom / Bachman tandem

- Demko gets his first NHL start & first NHL win

- Tryamkin stays in Russia despite all the threads on CDC about him returning

- Canucks finish in 26th with 77 points, but win the draft lottery and get at least a top three pick

- Sedins sign matching one-year contract extensions

- CDC threads to fire Green start popping up by All Start break

- Canucks trade Tanev in a deal that doesn't resemble a single thread on CDC

- Ovechkin returns to Russia so he can play in the Olympics, Capitals win Stanley Cup without him (Russia misses podium, places 4th)

- NHL adopts new tradition of having a hockey legend present the Stanley Cup, Bobby Orr to be the first

- Connor McDavid repeats as the Hart and Art Ross trophy winner

- After the end of next season, the NHL scraps reviews on off-sides and changes puck-over-the-glass to a defensive zone face-off with no line change (like icing)

- The Islanders get eliminated in the first round and Tavares goes to free agency

- The BC Lions win the Grey Cup

- Canada wins Gold in both men's and women's hockey at the Olympics

- Carolina Hurricanes announce deal to move to Quebec

- NHL announces expansion to Seattle to bring the league to 32 teams

- Bettman retires

Some are wishful thinking and some are just for fun.

Canucks will finish 29th overall in the standings

Bo Horvat will be our leading point scorer with 60 points

Brock Boeser will be our leading goal scorer with 24 goals

Sedins will combine for 90 points.

Injuries will decimate our D men to the point that we have to call up Subban

Ben Hutton will reach 30 points

Loui Eriksson will get 15 goals.

Vanek or Tanev will be gone at the deadline.

On the last day of the season, McDavid will score his 40th goal and 110th point against Vancouver, winning the scoring title again.

Archived