The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(New) Time Capsule - Prediction Thread for 2017-18 NHL season

Canorth

Bo reached 70 pts (32 goals and discovers the scoring finish he has been missing.)

Boeser gets to 23 goals.

Erikkson has 26 goals.

Vanek has great chemistry with Sedins. Entire SSV line in 55 to 65 point range.

Virtanen hits 20 goals in last game and plays a great checking responsible back check game most of year.

Sutter injured in January on LTIR.

Gagne excites then stalls out in new year.

Granlund gone at TDL for a 2nd.

Baerstchi plateaus and is dealt in off season. 

Defence play OK. 

Hutton scores 10 and adds 20 helpers.

Edler and Tanev gone at TDL for great return after season nose dives in mid February.

Canucks will just be short of a playoff spot. Make some good deadline trades for the rebuild. 

Have an an great year losing and winning but playing hard exciting hockey. 

Horvat and Boeser will lead the team in scoring. 

Boeser will I'll be nominated for Calder. 

Sedins resign one more year 

Canucks aren't in the top 5 but finally win the lotto luck to get in the top 3. 

Summary

More points then last year. Losses you are ok with just because it was exciting hockey. Dank passing the 1000 point mark and Horvat taking control as leader of the team. 

Than lottery win finally!!

Boeser has a decent season but does nothing spectacular, about 40 points. Bo is leading scorer again with about 60 points. Sedins each finish with around 40 points. 

Canucks finish in the bottom five again and again get 5th overall pick for the next draft. They finish slightly above last year with 71 points.

Eriksson has another lackluster season. Virtanen doesn't do too badly, but is still an overall disappointment.  Granlund does about as good as last year.

All in all it will be a very similar season to this last one.

I hope the Canucks prove me wrong.

1. Boeser pots 32 goals and wins Calder. 

2. Juolevi makes the team.

3. Subban plays atleast 10 games.

4. Dahlen has big training camp but goes to Utica or SHL

5. Granlund hits 20 goals.

6. Eriksson hits 20 goals.

7. Virtanen wins fans over.

8. Edler and/or Tanev gets traded.

9. Gudbranson gets extended or traded by the TDL.

10. Canucks finish 23rd and win 1st OA.

Meanwhile... Eagles win the Superbowl, Lonzo wins MVP, and Judge gets 62HR.

I've had the sense to this point that things still had to get worse before they would get better.

i think things will start to get better now. It might still look as bleak (points, standings, etc...) but I think we're starting on the up swing.

In game 79 Daniel jumps into Henrik's arms to celebrate his 14 point of the season and 1000th career point, the ensuing helmet to helmet based concussion ends Daniels career. Henrik immediately retires in a show of solidarity.  The Canucks win their last 3 games to finish 30th and draft 5th for the 3rd year in a row.

The Canucks will finish 7th in The Pacific and 28th in the NHL. We will pick 6th overall in th Draft because that's how it always seems to go.

Team scoring will be up by quite a bit but so will goals against.

The instant gratification crowd will complain about this and will have the following whipping boys:

Edler

Vaneck

Ericksson

Trent Green

Trevor Lindon

Jim Benning

Scottie Upshall

Weir o how

The trainer

The guy who sings the anthem

I am reasonably happy with the direction that the team is heading in as I believe it will be a good thing if the younger players are not gifted spots on the team. Let the placeholders be placeholders and trade as many as you can at the TDL.

I have to laugh at the Eastern media saying that the Canucks think that they are going to make the playoffs this year.

Uh no retods, just doing what the Laffs did a couple of years ago.

Plain to see. But they're so focused on the here and now that they've totally forgotten about that. Too busy trying to heap scorn on the Canucks. Even that lickspittle Eric Francis is piling on.

Oh it will be so delicious when the tables are turned.

Patience my friends.

There's nothing I can definitively point to that leads me to believe that all of the experts are wrong, but I have this nagging suspicion that this team is somehow going to beat the odds, avoid serious injuries and surprise everybody by finishing around 8-9th in the western conference. We will however, get bounced in the first round. I can't wait for the tankers to go apoplectic as a result, the only thing worse than losing is our own "fans" getting pleasure from it.

Ugh, waited to the last minute for this really. Although, this year is harder to predict than last year. I'll give it a go anyways:

Canucks predictions:

Canucks finish 31st overall even though they look better than last year. Goal tending is the factor here.

Both Markstrom and Nilsson have a repeat year, which the Canucks need more.

Virtanin gets sent back down to Utica by the end of the year.

Sedins sign for another year for 3 mill a piece. Then they Retire.

Ericsson scores 20 goals.

Same with Boeser. 

NHL prediction:

Stanley Cup Finals will be between St. Louis and Tampa Bay. Lightning win in 5 games.

Matthews only scores 33.

McDavid puts up 100 points again.

Oilers make it to conference finals.

Coyotes make the playoffs.

CBJ, Blackhawks, and Penguins lose by the end of the 2nd round of the placeoffs this go around.

Golden Knights have a break out opening season and finish above .500, despite missing the playoffs.

I think they will start the season something like this:

Baer, Bo, Boeser

Sedin, Sedin. Vanek

Gagner, Burmistrov, Virtanen

Eriksson, Sutter, Granlund

Dorsett

Edler, Tanev

DelZotto, Gud

Hutton, Stecher

Pouliot, Biega

Markstrom

Nilsson

Granlund will have a big year, move up to play with the Sedins as the Vanek experiment on their line will not work. Eriksson will have a bounce back year 50+ points. Virt and Boes will stick with the team throughout the year, neither being game changers.

I say mid pack finish, probably still not quite playoff team, but improved. Anywhere between 78 to 84 points as a team. Offensive leader will be Bo (65 points) followed by Granlund (55 Points, 25 Goals) and Eriksson (50 points)

My first prediction is if they stay healthy the Canucks win a wild card playoff spot due to our new editions, Green, the UFA boys and also Boeser and Virtanen making the team! 

(NHL Ranking 22-18) 

1. Boeser* scores 23 goals 18 assists but falls 10 pts short of the Calder. Boeser plays the whole year in the NHL. (2nd or 3rd place in Calder race)

2.Virtanen* scores 13 goals 14 assists and is in and out of the lineup as he goes through some slumps while improving at the same time. 

3. Horvat* scores 27 goals 34 assists and leads the team in scoring as he has a consistant year with no major slumps.

4. Sedins* each get 49-57 points as i see a slight improvement from the twins with Green behind the helm and Vanek cleaning up the garbage.

5. Eriksson* scores 20 goals 18 assists redeeming himself and proving he is still a threat to score.

6. Gagner* scores 15 goals 24 assists, he gets pp time but doesn't improve upon a career year last year. 

7. Granlund* scores 22 goals 16 assists, he improves again this year playing in multiple positions with multiple line mates.

8. Bearcheese* scores 19 goals 21 assists hitting 40 points! i predict the Sven Bo Brock line has a big year with all three players benefiting.

9. Stecher* scores 7 goals 23 assists leading the team again on the back end.

10. Hutton* scores 6 goals 18 assists improving upon last years totals.

11. Del Zotto* scores 9 goals 20 assists quarter backing our power play back to respectability.

12. Tanev* scores 5 goals 15 assists playing on the top D pair with Edler. Tanev endures 1 or 2 injuries missing 12 games.

13. Markstrom commands the net and has some brilliant games establishing himself as a true number.

I will not mention the other players on the team as i think they will all have career average point totals or may be traded. 

PP% 19.2

PK% 83

86 PTS. 39-36-7     

Canucks make the playoffs and win 1st round vs Edmonton, then lose to Annaheim

Edler rediscovers his mojo, ends with 10 goals and 30 assists

Boeser nets 35 goals and wins Calder 

Sutter wins the Selke

Hank and Danny play entire season healthy, with Boeser, and both top 70 points

Sbisa nets 2 in Vegas 1st game vs Nux, one in each goal

Green is one of 3 finalists for Coach of the Year.

Boeser scores 30.

Bo named Assistant Captain.

Markstrom is average.

OJ make the team out of camp.

Gudbranson bolts to UFA at the end of the season.

Edler has his best season in 5 years.

Team PP finishes 16th in the league.

Team has least 5 on 3's in the league.

Henrik and Daniel both minus on the year.

Granlund scores 20.

Baertschi scores 15.

Eriksson 50 pts.

Stecher struggles.

Gaunce looks more like Richardson every day.

Team misses the playoffs, finishes 21st.

Oh, and Penticton Tourney is the best hockey seen all year.  #excited

Vancouver Canucks Team Predictions:

Projecting Forwards Scoring:

Sven Baertchi (18-22 Goals, 45-55 pts) - Bo Horvat (20-25 Goals, 55-60 pts) - Brock Boeser (18-22 Goals, 45-50 pts)

Daniel Sedin (12-17 Goals, 40-45 pts) - Henrik Sedin (8-12 Goals, 45-50 pts) - Markus Granlund (20-25 Goals, 50-55 pts)

Louis Eriksson (15-20 Goals, 45-50 pts) - Brandon Sutter (15-20 Goals, 35-40 pts) - Thomas Vanek (10-15 Goals, 30-35 pts)/Nikolay Goldobin/Anton Rodin (5-7 Goals, 10-15 pts)*

Jake Virtanen (10-15 Goals, 30-35 pts) - Sam Gagner (12-17 Goals, 35-40 pts) - Derek Dorsett (2-4 Goals, 10-13 pts)/Alexander Burmistrov (4-6 Goals, 10-14 pts) 

Note: Dorsett and Burmistrov gets alternated in and out of the line up

Projecting Defense Scoring:

Alexander Edler (3-6 Goals, 25-30 pts) - Troy Stecher (5-7 Goals, 30-35 pts)

Ben Hutton (7-10 Goals, 35-40 pts) - Chris Tanev (1-3 Goals, 15-20 pts)

Michael Del Zotto (6-8 Goals, 35-40 pts) - Erik Gudbranson (1-3 Goals, 12-17 pts)

Derrick Pouliot (2-6 Goals, 10-15 pts), Alex Biega (0-2 Goals,0-5 pts)

Projecting Goaltending Stats:

Jacob Markstrom (58-63 GP, 0.908% ~ 0.919%, 2.63 GAA ~ 2.85 GAA, 22-25 W, 25-27 L, 2-5 OTL)

Anders Nilsson (25-30 GP, 0.905% ~ 0.916%, 2.67 GAA ~ 2.87 GAA, 11-14 W, 13-15 L, 1-3 OTL)

Overall Team Wins Projection: 33 Wins ~ 39 Wins; Predicting: 36 Wins; - off by 5, we ended up with only 31 wins

Overal Team Losses Projection: 35 Losses ~ 46 Losses; Predicting: 40 Losses; - banged on with the exact number of losses

Overall Team OTL Projection: 3 OTL ~ 8 OTL; Predicting: 6 OTL; - off by 5, we ended up with 11 OTLs

Overall Team Goals For Projection: 193 GF (low end of my goals prediction and add it togeter) ~ 268 GF (high end of my goals prediction and add it togeter); Predicting 223 GF; - off by 5 goals, we scored 218, very close to my projected 223.

Overal Team Goals Against Projecting: 227 GA ~ 251 GA (this is calculated based on the high end and low end of the GAA of each goalie and plus potential of about 10-16 empty net goals given up); Predicting: 239 GA; - I way overestimated our goaltending, we gave up 264 goals...

Overall Team Points Project: 69 Points ~ 86 Points; Predicting: 78 Points; - off by 5 points, we finished with 73 points

Predicting Vanek to be traded away at or near the deadline and Goldobin/Rodin, which better performer of the two gets the call up to play at his place to finish the season. - it did sorta happened this way, Vanek got traded and Goldy got to spend more time with the big club. But Rodin returned to Sweden

Standings: Predicting the Canucks to finish anywhere between 22nd overall to 27th overall, but predicting them to finish 25th overall in the league. - we finished 26th overall, very close to my prediction

Lottery: Finishing 25th in the league, it gives the Canucks the 7th best odds in winning the draft lottery wih 6.713%. However, some how there are 2 teams finishing below us will leap frog into 2 of the lottery positions and the Canucks will end up selecting 9th overall... The Canucks would end up selecting a solid player at 9th overall who proves to be better than projected, carrying on the tradition of our previous 9th overall pick Bo Horvat. ( I really hope we don't end up picking 9th :ph34r:)

League Wide Prediction:

President's Trophy Winner: Dallas Stars - :lol: i was stupid 

Western Conference Final: Edmonton Oilers vs. Dallas Stars - makes me look even dumber

Eastern Conference Final: Tampa Bay Lightning vs.Columbus Blue Jackets - this prediction is potentially still alive

Stanley Cup Final: Tampa Bay Lightning vs. Edmonton Oilers - Lol, I really over estimated the Oilers

Stanley Cup Winner: Tampa Bay Lightning - Sticking it with my pick as the playoffs is about to kick-off

Conn Smythe Winner: Viktor Hedman - Sticking it with my pick as the playoffs is about to kick-off

Teams that made the playoffs last year that is going to miss:

Eastern Conference: Boston Bruins, Montreal Canadiens and New York Rangers - I was right about MTL and NYR, way-off on BOS

Western Conference: St. Louis Blues, San Jose Sharks - STL was correct, but SJS was a miss

Teams that miss the playoffs last year that are going to make it:

Eastern Conference: Tampa Bay Lightning, Carolina Hurricanes, Philadelphia Flyers - Again 2/3. Hurricanes just can't get going

Western Conference: Dallas Stars, Winnipeg Jets - 1/2, Stars really choked near the end

NHL Awards Prediction:

Art Ross Trophy: Connor McDavid - Bang on!

Hart Memorial Trophy: Sidney Crosby (Other 2 Finalists: Connor McDavid and Viktor Hedman) - Not even close

Ted Lindsay Award: Connor McDavid (Other 2 Finalists: Sidney Crosby and Viktor Hedman) - Not even close

Rocket Richard: Patrik Laine - Very close, but Ovie is still not letting the kid have his trophy yet

Norris Trophy: Viktor Hedman (Other 2 Finalists: Erik Karlsson and Roman Josi) - sticking with my pick until the awards ceremony

Selke Trophy: Mikael Backlund (Other 2 Finalists: Nazem Kadri and Patrice Bergeron) - Way, way, way, off...

Vezina Trophy: Devan Dubnyk (Other 2 Finalists: Matt Murray and Cam Talbot) - Again, way, way, way, way, off... Especially on Murray and Talbot

Calder Memorial Trophy: Charles McAvoy (Other 2 Finalists: Clayton Keller and Brock Boeser) - It's Barzal's, it's a shame both Boeser and McAvoy got hurt, or else the race would of been much more fun

Jack Adams: Bill Peters (Other 2 Finalists: Paul Maurice and Ken Hitchcock); Basically this has become the I took my team back into the playoffs award - I was right about the ward is I took my team to the playoffs, but I never would of thought Vegas would make the playoffs. Gerard Gallant will win the Adams.

Archived