The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(New) Time Capsule - Prediction Thread for 2017-18 NHL season

Canorth

My predictions. 

1.Boeser makes the team out of the gate.

2. Eriksson, Bo, Daniel, Boeser score 20 goals this year

3. Although Virtanen has improved his play leaps from last year. He will not be on the opening night roster and will be relied on heavily in Utica, as their top line winger. 

4. Rodin will make the team. I just think they have both played well, but Rodin should get his shot. Virtanen is still under contract going forward and can continue to develop in a beast. 

5. Granlund although playing great two way hockey will not score 20 goals, mostly because of increased depth. 

6. Marky is going to have a mediocre season. Full of hot and cold patches of play. 2.6 gaa with a 905 save percentage.

7. We get closer to the playoffs than many expect at the beginning of march. Only to fall in to 13th in the conference by the end of march. 

8. Henrik and Daniel continue to show signs of aging, but still manage to pick up 45-55 points each. 

9. Gudbranson has a resurgent year defensively and is now the catalyst of the pk. 

10. We end up drafting in the top 5 again. Missing out on the player i want Dahlin, but picking up Boqvist or Merkley. 

11. We start getting mass recognition around the nhl for our prospects from many analysts. 

12. We gain 2-3 picks at the TDL. 

13. Have another excellent draft and now we start getting aggresive on establishing ourselves as a playoff contender in the offseason. 

14. Dorsett is bought out at the end of the year. 

Predictions:

The Sedin's decline accelerates but they are still trotted out on the power play like it's 2011

Ganger and Vanek do NOT provide the offense they are expected to

Markstrom is OK but back up goaltending is weak and costs many games

Del Zotto is surprisingly good, Tanev gets injured and misses at least 30 games 

Horvat has a sub par year offensively

Granlund proves to be Canuck's leading scorer (goals)

Boesser get 16 goals 

Canucks finish ahead of Vegas and Colorado in standings but behind Arizona, Ed and Cal

We make the playoffs and win a playoff game...maybe 2.

Boeser gets robbed of the Calder trophy after scoring the most goals for a rookie

Rodin ends up with the Sedins and they all get to 60+ points

Chatfield decides he should be on the team and grabs a spot by the playoffs ( seriously wishful thinking here )

Stecher is a standout again

Hutton has a breakout year and is the reason Chatfield doesn't grab a spot ( good to go on one of these predictions )

Horvat figures out how to score on those Bull-rushes...pots 25+

The best for last...we trade Vanek and Edler to a playoff hopeful team that ends up tanking we thank them very much for there 5-10 overall pick and a prospect.

....we still make the playoffs....as I said....done deal....

Reserved for change:

1. As I've said repeatedly; Virtanen will look solid in pre-season, good enough to earn a spot. (This came to pass, but he looks better than I thought he would). He will still be sent down to start the season. This will cause an uproar among fans and media. He will privately be told that he has done everything to earn a spot, but they need him to be a team player and go to Utica and lead by example. He will be the first call up and utterly prove his worth.

2. Virtanen will earn league recognition for his resurgence, but it will start playing penciled in on the 4th line. Despite that, Jake will see more ice time than his paper role would indicate. He will be asked to put time in the PK and the PP. He will get switched up the lineup with other wingers in the 2nd and 3rd periods, and will be an example of what Green is molding a struggling team into.

3. Brock Boeser makes the team. The Canucks need a youthful difference maker not named Bo Horvat. Boeser provides that impact early and often. He won't turn in the numbers that Matthews put up, but he will be the favorite to win. Despite winning as the favorite, it will still be a cotroversial selection around the league.

4. The Canucks start very slowly. With the team trip to China costing the Canucks valuable time to learn Green's systems and the changes under our PK and PP coaches the Canucks will limp out of the gate. It will look a lot like Utica in his first year. With that said, despite outrage from a few alarmists, there will be enough glimpses of what we're trying to do to hold back the dogs, and patience among the fan base. The fans will be rewarded with a few stellar performances in November and December, but the Canucks will be terribly behind the WildCard race. While the Canucks make up ground between Christmas and the trade deadline, Benning makes the right call and moves Veterans at the deadline for draft assets. The Canucks will falter to another bottom 8 finish, but put on a nice display of youth once again down the stretch. 

5. Rodin will look like Hansen light. With an abilityto score the puck and occasional flashes of play he'll do just enough to hang on all year. He'll earn a contract for a couple of years serving as a role player in the Middle 6 when called upon. He will never be a disappoinment, but he'll also never be the Top 6 steal many hoped he could actually be. We shall be content with what he is.

6. Goldobin will spend most of his time in the AHL, but earn the occasional callup. He'll end the year with the Canucks, and his defense will be improved, but they'll be questions surrounding if he can develop his defensive game enough to finally earn a full time spot in the NHL heading into the 18-19 season.

7. The Canucks will ride high into the off-season with dreams of 18-19 in their heads. It will come crashing down when the Sedins retire. With the upcoming youth they'll feel it's time to pass the torch. As sad as it is to see them go, it will help the fan base rally around the team as the final truly bad year takes place in 18-19. Headed into 19-20 the Canucks will be one the biggest risers in all of sports. 

Thanks @Cramarossa for the reminder!

Canucks will get 80-85 points.

We finish 25 - 27 overall.

JV and BB both stick and work their way up the chart as Vanek and Gagne fail to impress and get injured regularly.

Eriksson has a bounce back year and manages to be a leader while contributing in every spot he's placed.

Bo leads the team with 70 points.

Given that the last big piece we need is a high-end offensive-minded RD and that there are a few of them at the top of the upcoming draft class, I guess we'll squeak into the playoffs.

Predictions:

1. Boeser makes the team out of camp and scores 30
  2. Virtanen does not make the team, but gets called up mid season due to injuries and stays up for the remainder, averaging 0.5PPG
  3. Canucks get 95 points and make the playoffs, lose in first round
  4. Del Zotto, Goldobin, Baertschi and a 2nd round pick get traded
  5. Neither PTO sticks
  6. Gudbranson goes UFA
  7. Burmistrov reduces Sutter to 4th liner

We fight for a playoff spot but fall just short.

End up about 22nd on ladder.

Baer pips Bo for the most points.

The Sedins are relieved of power play duties and the young kids start ripping up the scoreboard as a result.

The only thing that stops us making the playoffs is our goalkeeping. 

Half of this forum falls asleep as they have no coach controversy, or power play problems to complain about.

The other half of the forum erupts as we will now have a new goalkeeper controversy to keep us fired up.

its so easy to predict a mid range to last place finish, here my 1 in a million prediction, this is my single number

roulette prediction;

Canucks come out of the gates like demons, Green did not sound impressed in his last few news conferences and

hes in the frame of mind to whip the team up into a frenzy. Brock Boeser goes on a prolific goal scoring run gets 80

points on the year. The team goes 30 straight with no regulation loses. All of Vancouver goes into a frenzy.

- Our goaltending is spectacular Anders pushes Jacob into epic form and they start stealing serious games for us.

- Gudbranson turns out to be the elite defender some think he can be, throws epic hits.

- Archibald makes the team and plays 4th sometimes 3rd line minutes, turns out to be Raffi Torres 2.0.

- Goldobin makes the team mid season after lighting the AHL up.

- Horvat just amps up on where he left off last year more of everything.

We cool off before the playoffs but get past Calgary in the first round in a nail biting 7 game series. Only

to lose to Edmonton in the second round in 6 games, due to injuries on Defense and the Sedins going a bit

quiet due to physical pressure from Kassian and Maroon. I go on cdc and complain with the rest of the complainers

about how the Sedins are too soft and we should have traded them.

The core will remain stale and lose a step;

Boeser will make the team, but will be held to a different standard than the Sedins.

The Sedins will continue to pass around the perimeter on the PP.

The Sedins will not make the player playing with them better.

Even if Goldy and JV make the team they will play only 7 minutes per game.

Goldy will not make the team...Boucher will clear waivers,

JB will pickup a very good D man on waivers

JB will spin his web in the direction the wind blows

Old News will continue to drink the kool-aid and finally confess that he is a closet Leaf fan,

Vanek will be a disappointment, and LE will continue to disappoint, but continue to get paid $6 M per year or is it a front loaded $10 M.

Horvat, Boeser, Stecher and Granlund will continue to get better,

Baertchi will try hard

Sutter will be "meh"

Markstrom will hold the fort

Canucks will finish dead last but will win the lottery because TL will send the stickboy to sit in his place for the draw.

Pedan should make the team over Biega; but will be waived and Colorado will pick him up.

I'll start from the net out:

I think Markstrom will prove to be a capable starter--not an elite level level goalie, but a bona-fide NHL starting goaltender nonetheless.  Not sold on Nilsson yet, I expect something like a 50-30ish split between them

The defence will be better than last year, which isn't saying much.  MDZ will add some offence from the back end, but I also am quite certain he will cough up a few Bartkowski-like giveaways along the way.  Tanev will be Tanev.  Edler might benefit from the fact that Green's approach is less ambiguous (or so I've heard).  I'm concerned about Stecher and the sophomore jinx; I think he may hurt his game by trying too much.  Gudbrandson and Hutton will be both okay in their own respective ways, but I'm not expecting anything stellar

Up front, I figure Boeser will start with the big club and stay there--I don't see anything in his game that keeps him out of the NHL.  Jake might start here, but I expect he'll be up and down throughout the season.  Goldobin still doesn't seem ready, in terms of his play without the puck.  Burmistrov gets waived, probably bolts to the K.  Rodin probably goes back to Sweden.

First line with Bo, Baer and [interchangeable forward]; second line will be the twins and [interchangeable forward].  Sutter will likely centre the third.  Boeser, Granlund, Gagner, Vanek and Eriksson will all rotate as wingers in the top 9.  Dorsett will be the only constant on the fourth line (barring injury), Gaunce may be a fixture on the 4th once he comes back.  Jake will likely start there but as I said, he'll likely be up and down.

I do believe Green will get the most out of what he has to work with and the Canucks will play a much quicker game than last season (another low bar, I know).  Special teams: well, there's nowhere to go but up.

In the end, they'll be within a stone's throw of the playoffs--perhaps eliminated from contention only a couple of weeks out, so not enough to fall far enough to be a top five lottery candidate (not that that's helped them before anyway).

Regardless of it all, I will watch every game I can and will still pull for them (that's a guaranteed prediction)

Virtanen looking really good.

Boeser looking really good.

Archibald looking good.

Travis Green looks good.

Jim Benning continues to slowly but surely build a really good hard working team.

Fans starting to see the light through the dark tunnel of the past few years.

With guys like Pettersson, Lind, Gadjovich, Demko, Dipietro, Juolevi, Chatfield, Brisbois Macewan, Dahlen, Lockwood, Gaudette, etc. in the pipes & more coming the future is looking really bright.

:canucks:

Friendly reminder to get your reserved slots filled with predictions before this thread closes on opening night. 

@-Vintage Canuck-

@Qwags

@Stamkos

@Warhippy

@Adarsh Sant

@morrissex95

@Whale Tail

@ruilin96

@Team Bagues

@canuckmen84

@Sedinery33

@Boris Badenov

@hlinkas wrister

@The Aquamen

@Old school nuck

@Cocolocci

@Hairy Kneel

@zombieksa

And to all other who want to squeeze in some final changes.

Boeser 50 points, 25 G 25 A

Canucks 85-90 point season. Finishing out of playoff spot by 2 teams.

Bo Horvat mini slump, worse stats than last year.

Biega sent down to minors (not a stretch now considering Pouliot trade).

Green is great in his first year.

-I predict we're a bottom 10 team.

-Sedins get between 35-50 points each. 

- Vanek does better than Louis.

-Boeser looks like our biggest offensive threat. 

- Markstrom is exposed as just as bad of a goalie as his stats indicate he is. 

- Goldobin gets called up in November and puts many others to shame. 

- one of Granlund/Burmistrov/Sutter gets traded. 

- Pouliot develops into an everyday defenseman.

Don't usually post in these threads, but I think the team is going to surprise people.

- Canucks finish with approx. 90-95 pts... either barely squeak into the playoffs or just miss them.  If they make it, they are eliminated in the first round.

- Team improves its goal scoring total by 35 + over last year.

- Horvat is the scoring leader with 65 or more points and 25 + goals.

- Tanev is the best defenseman but continues to have problems with injuries.  The rest of the defense corps struggles to keep pace with scorers from teams like Edmonton.

- Boeser gets 20 + goals and is in the race for the Calder.

- Team has 5 additional goalscorers with 15 + goals.

- The Sedins get approx. 45 points apiece... Daniel a little less.

- Markstrom struggles at times but establishes himself as a #1 goalie.

- Even with Gudbranson healthy the Canucks struggle with other more physical teams and wish they had signed Tryamkin.

Edmonton wins the Division and the Conference and goes to the Final where they either win it all or are beaten narrowly.

Archived