The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Right Handed Dmen (Discussion)

Now, I know a lot of you know this, but some may not, but there are not a lot of RH Dmen kicking around the NHL.....proportionately, with a quick look, I would say it's 60-40 split, and there are not too many teams that have even a 50-50 split, few if any that would have a 40-60 split............so in saying that, lets work with what we have and what we want............

Note that of the remaining Vegas Dmen, the split is 9 LHD and 2 RHD

First off, the Canucks have 5 RHD, Subban is the 5th, Biega is 4th, so when Tanev gets hurt and he will, it is getting pretty close to Subban coming up................

My suggestion is to go after UFA Shattenkirk...........yes we pay a lot, but we gain a very good solid RHD that is 28 years old, and we are solid on Defense for the next 5 years. You can't be afraid of a move like this. It allows us greater flexibility, and we have the cap room, so we do it now, while he is there and while we have the space. Just look around and see ........

Now Shattenkirk does not need to be a true #1, just a solid #2, and yes we would over pay, but we end up with a solid asset that we pay up front on and save later on........Now whether it is this year or next, we should try and acquire a young RHD....there are many ways..................

1. Trade....................................go after Honka or Bowey

2. Draft.....................................draft Maker or Liljegren

3. NCAA free agency...............over pay on the signing bonus, they are out there

4. Europe free agency.............hey Toronto signed 2 Swedes, we signed another.....there must be some finns or Czechs that would come over

5. Tryamkin..............................Can we not buy him back....aka Transfer fee?.........would he be worth $5,000,000 transfer? I would pay it!

All of these are options, all of these could provide our answer. I wonder if we could buy out Tryamkin's contract in Russia and bring him back. I am not sure whether you can do that, but when he gets back, pay him, tell him we love him and don't ignore him again.......

Once Tryamkin is back, we sit with a pretty decent, back end................................

LHD                                          RHD

Edler                                        Tanev

Hutton                                      Shattenkirk

Tryamkin                                  Stecher

Joulevi                                     Gunbranson

McEneny                                  Biega

Brisebois

2 moves that take us back past where we were......get Tryamkin back and sign Shattenkirk.......These are assets that give us strength, and allows us to have huge bargaining chips

Right now before signing our RFA's we have 17 Million this year, another 14 million next, so I would not be going and signing a Big Goalie contract, at some point Markstrom has to be a big boy, or we need to move on.......3 Million for a back up and that's it...no long term! Demko is coming!

Vancouver would have to give up quality assets to get Bowey or Honka. 

The top UFA defenceman is not likely to sign with one of the worst teams in the league.  He's most likely going to the Rangers 

You can't "overpay" on a college free agent. There's an ELC max that can be paid.  

Tryamkin isn't a slave. You can't just "buy" him. He chose to sign in the KHL. It's not like he was kidnapped or coerced to leave Vancouver. He's there for at least 3 years. Get over it. 

I'd love to make a grubby deal with Dallas for Honka.

5th overall + Tanev + 3rd round pick for 3rd overall + Honka

Package 33rd overall + CBJ's 2nd round pick to any team for a pick around the 18-23rd overall region. Maybe we throw in a prospect or roster player too. Team like Las Vegas might bite when they've got so many 1st rounders.

Draft Vilardi. Draft Hague.

We get a young Honka who can play in the NHL right away and in our future. We get a physical guy in Hague who replaces Tryamkin and Sbisa. We get our big strong playmaker Vilardi.

1) Playmaking centre (Vilardi) = check

2) Puck moving defencemen (Honka) = check

3) Physicality on defence (Hague) = check

Two trades, we burn some later picks but get quality guys back. Sets up the core pretty much instantly in one draft.

Dahlen - Vilardi - Boeser

Baertschi - Horvat - UFA

Granlund - Sutter - Virtanen

Goldobin - Gaudette - Gaunce

Juolevi - Honka

Hague - Stecher

Hutton - Gudbranson

Holm

Subban

I say we draft a defenceman with the 2018 first round pick who may end up elite as well just to boost our depth and drop one of those 6 down too, but that's a core unit that can win a Cup.

33 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

5. Tryamkin..............................Can we not buy him back....aka Transfer fee?.........would he be worth $5,000,000 transfer? I would pay it!

No.  It doesn't work that way.

40 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

The top UFA defenceman is not likely to sign with one of the worst teams in the league.  He's most likely going to the Rangers 

You can't "overpay" on a college free agent. There's an ELC max that can be paid.  

Tryamkin isn't a slave. You can't just "buy" him. He chose to sign in the KHL. It's not like he was kidnapped or coerced to leave Vancouver. He's there for at least 3 years. Get over it. 

In soccer a team can buy a player and pay a transfer fee to get that player league to league...from each

England to Italy  for instance.......do you absolutely know this can't  happen......and there is a lot of chatter regarding Willies treatment of Tryamkin.....we also don't know the money being talked about for his new contract....I personally wouldn't  put it past Jim to blunder, he doesn't do a good job on contracts...who is to say Tryamkin just didn't call Jims bluff...?oh yeah tough guy...I am over it....little puke,

3 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

In soccer a team can buy a player and pay a transfer fee to get that player league to league...from each

England to Italy  for instance.......do you absolutely know this can't  happen......and there is a lot of chatter regarding Willies treatment of Tryamkin.....we also don't know the money being talked about for his new contract....I personally wouldn't  put it past Jim to blunder, he doesn't do a good job on contracts...who is to say Tryamkin just didn't call Jims bluff...?oh yeah tough guy...I am over it....little puke,

Lmao.  Overreacting a little bit there bud. 

36 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I'd love to make a grubby deal with Dallas for Honka.

5th overall + Tanev + 3rd round pick for 3rd overall + Honka

Package 33rd overall + CBJ's 2nd round pick to any team for a pick around the 18-23rd overall region. Maybe we throw in a prospect or roster player too. Team like Las Vegas might bite when they've got so many 1st rounders.

Draft Vilardi. Draft Hague.

We get a young Honka who can play in the NHL right away and in our future. We get a physical guy in Hague who replaces Tryamkin and Sbisa. We get our big strong playmaker Vilardi.

1) Playmaking centre (Vilardi) = check

2) Puck moving defencemen (Honka) = check

3) Physicality on defence (Hague) = check

Two trades, we burn some later picks but get quality guys back. Sets up the core pretty much instantly in one draft.

Dahlen - Vilardi - Boeser

Baertschi - Horvat - UFA

Granlund - Sutter - Virtanen

Goldobin - Gaudette - Gaunce

Juolevi - Honka

Hague - Stecher

Hutton - Gudbranson

Holm

Subban

I say we draft a defenceman with the 2018 first round pick who may end up elite as well just to boost our depth and drop one of those 6 down too, but that's a core unit that can win a Cup.

It could happen!......Dallas ain't getting  any RHD from LV......i  dont Think? 

4 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Lmao.  Overreacting a little bit there bud. 

Don't talk down to people...I frigging hate it....my ideas were purely inqizative...and if you would have had a fact answer...I would have appreciated it.....these guys are professionals and get traded all the time.....but they are not slaves you know

Just now, janisahockeynut said:

Don't talk don't to people...I frigging hate it....my ideas were purely inqizative...and if you would have had a fact answer...I would have appreciated it.....these guys are professionals and get traded all the time.....but they are not slaves you know

There's a difference between a trade and what you're suggesting.  Tryamkin wasn't forced out of Vancouver.  He was offered a generous contract to stay. He willingly signed a 3 year contract to return home.  You're suggesting Essentially paying to void that contract and force him to return to a team he had no interest in staying with.  

3 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

It could happen!......Dallas ain't getting  any RHD from LV......i  dont Think? 

Their priority is on LD.  Per McKenzie they are in discussion with Vegas about Methot. 

Dallas has Honka as their top prospect and believe that he is NHL ready - i.e. he is not available.  It has been reported numerous times that Shattenkirk wants to return in the  East to be closer to his family - many insiders believe his team of choice is the Rangers.

Capitals see Bowey on their team next season.  MacLellan talks of having several of their young players make the jump re prepare for the future.  It's also a cap issue - they need NHL ready players still playing on their ELC to fit everyone under the cap.  

Btw teams are not allowed to pay the transfer fee on behalf of a player. There is a salary cap because they want a levelled playing field.  Allowing that would give an unfair advantage to the richer teams vs the ones operating on a budget.  It's a form of cap circumvention.

2 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Not at least 3 years, he can choice to rejoin the Canucks, this year even. The Canucks would need to buy out his contract.

2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Now, I know a lot of you know this, but some may not, but there are not a lot of RH Dmen kicking around the NHL.....proportionately, with a quick look, I would say it's 60-40 split, and there are not too many teams that have even a 50-50 split, few if any that would have a 40-60 split............so in saying that, lets work with what we have and what we want............

Note that of the remaining Vegas Dmen, the split is 9 LHD and 2 RHD

First off, the Canucks have 5 RHD, Subban is the 5th, Biega is 4th, so when Tanev gets hurt and he will, it is getting pretty close to Subban coming up................

My suggestion is to go after UFA Shattenkirk...........yes we pay a lot, but we gain a very good solid RHD that is 28 years old, and we are solid on Defense for the next 5 years. You can't be afraid of a move like this. It allows us greater flexibility, and we have the cap room, so we do it now, while he is there and while we have the space. Just look around and see ........

Now Shattenkirk does not need to be a true #1, just a solid #2, and yes we would over pay, but we end up with a solid asset that we pay up front on and save later on........Now whether it is this year or next, we should try and acquire a young RHD....there are many ways..................

1. Trade....................................go after Honka or Bowey

2. Draft.....................................draft Maker or Liljegren

3. NCAA free agency...............over pay on the signing bonus, they are out there

4. Europe free agency.............hey Toronto signed 2 Swedes, we signed another.....there must be some finns or Czechs that would come over

All of these are options, all of these could provide our answer. I wonder if we could buy out Tryamkin's contract in Russia and bring him back. I am not sure whether you can do that, but when he gets back, pay him, tell him we love him and don't ignore him again.......

Once Tryamkin is back, we sit with a pretty decent, back end................................

LHD                                          RHD

Edler                                        Tanev

Hutton                                      Shattenkirk

Tryamkin                                  Stecher

Joulevi                                     Gunbranson

McEneny                                  Biega

Brisebois

2 moves that take us back past where we were......get Tryamkin back and sign Shattenkirk.......These are assets that give us strength, and allows us to have huge bargaining chips

Right now before signing our RFA's we have 17 Million this year, another 14 million next, so I would not be going and signing a Big Goalie contract, at some point Markstrom has to be a big boy, or we need to move on.......3 Million for a back up and that's it...no long term! Demko is coming!

we're a little early for a Shattenkirk.... we'd be better off with Alzner I think to stabilize the group imo. If you're going to bring in younger guys you'll need some steady veterans. Shattenkirk is going to be looking for a cup contender. 

24 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

we're a little early for a Shattenkirk.... we'd be better off with Alzner I think to stabilize the group imo. If you're going to bring in younger guys you'll need some steady veterans. Shattenkirk is going to be looking for a cup contender. 

Even if the Canucks were contenders I doubt he would come here. Seems like another Kessel fat American who wants to avoid the spotlight and be a complementary guy on an already good team.

I suspect he gets overpaid and the team that signs him regrets his contract in 2 years like Keith Yandle and other big name free agents.

7 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Even if the Canucks were contenders I doubt he would come here. Seems like another Kessel fat American who wants to avoid the spotlight and be a complementary guy on an already good team.

I suspect he gets overpaid and the team that signs him regrets his contract in 2 years like Keith Yandle and other big name free agents.

what surprised me was Trotz calling him out publicly during the playoffs. Now that's never good. 

Bring Cody Franson home. We've got plenty of cap space, give him whatever he wants. Still relatively young in his late 20's so can play as a stop gap for a few years before the kids break in. We really need a lefty now that Sbisa and Tryamkin are gone.

Edler - Stecher

Franson - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Subban/Biega?

7 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Bring Cody Franson home. We've got plenty of cap space, give him whatever he wants. Still relatively young in his late 20's so can play as a stop gap for a few years before the kids break in. We really need a lefty now that Sbisa and Tryamkin are gone.

Edler - Stecher

Franson - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Subban/Biega?

This makes the most sense. If he'd take a 2 year deal he can be flipped in the second years deadline for assets

5 minutes ago, HockeydownUnder said:

This makes the most sense. If he'd take a 2 year deal he can be flipped in the second years deadline for assets

At 29 years old, I'd be happy to sign him to a 3x3.5M deal (depending on what others are getting) without NMC/NTCs etc. Let him boost his own value, he'll get 20+ minutes a night, probably some PP time too. Big improvement on Biega, and we need a 5-6th defenceman desperately right now. Can't lose Tryamkin and Sbisa and replace them with Juolevi, Subban and Biega.

We could desperately use his size and physicality on the back-end, and he can move the puck as well. He's a bit sloppy defensively so pair him with Tanev and you've got two righties, but all the right qualities on the same pairing. Alzner would be lovely but he's not going to a bottom feeder. The BC connection is pretty much all we have to work with for UFAs right now, and we'll have to overpay.

Probably not a popular idea but how about trying to get Corrado back?

The reason I bring his name up is the familiarity with Green and Baumgartner. Although Biega and Subban already fit that bill on the right side.

On the left side might want to take another look at Henrik Tommernes. 2 years in Utica with Green and Baumer. Led Frolunda in points last season in the SweHL. Statistics wise had a better year then Philip Holm.

Archived