The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Willie Desjardins to coach Team Canada at 2018 Olympics

On 6/24/2017 at 1:05 PM, Ghostsof1915 said:

So what kind of team will the US and Canada get? AHLer's? Guys playing in Euro Leagues? Junior hockey players? A mix of World Junior team and Spengler Cup? 

I am guessing more of a Spengler Cup type squad.  I imagine all players that belong to an NHL team will be off limits, even AHL'ers  and drafted juniors.

Maybe some college guys

• 3 weeks later...

I'm intrigued to see how WD does with a skilled team. It's hard to evaluate his season in the AHL or NHL especially, because we put together a rubbish team. Sure he made questionable decisions but every coach does in the NHL, and of course they didn't pay off. I don't expect Green to take this team to the playoffs so a coaching change won't make too much of a difference, but I'd love to see what WD could do behind another team to get a proper feel for how he actually is.

Funny how there was a big hype between Sullivan and WD coming into the NHL. Sullivan coaches two generational elite players and wins the Cup. WD coaches a trash team and gets fired. It's always hard to compare, but I honestly think with all the injuries in Pittsburgh, Sullivan did a lot more than people assume.

2 hours ago, cuporbust said:

Best of luck Willie. Go Canada GoScreenshot_2017-07-25-11-22-50-1-1.png

Good for him, hope he does well and gets another gig in the NHL.  He's a good coach and an even better person despite what some on here may think.

On 2017-07-19 at 4:35 PM, smithers joe said:

why the disrespect?

people seem to need scapegoats i think

willie is not the reason the canucks performed poorly

they were a hard working team that showed up for almost every game

they simply lacked sufficient talent

but many see the poor season as all on the coach

i think people will be disappointed when green does not save the team this season

and they again are a weaker team in the nhl

Archived