The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Willie Desjardins to coach Team Canada at 2018 Olympics

14 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

Look. This is the worst coaching job in hockey. Seriously who wants to coach team Canada the first time in decades that our top players won't be there? 

Terrible gig. 

You put on the Maple Leaf, it's an honor to represent your country.

15 hours ago, ice orca said:

You put on the Maple Leaf, it's an honor to represent your country.

The AHL level players who get to put on our country's sweater will be thrilled. The poor sot who coaches them will be coaching a team that will lose will be both ignored and derided by the fans of the country.  It's a terrible coaching gig. Period. 

2 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

The AHL level players who get to put on our country's sweater will be thrilled. The poor sot who coaches them will be coaching a team that will lose will be both ignored and derided by the fans of the country.  It's a terrible coaching gig. Period. 

If they play hard and they will most fans will get behind them. The coaches see this as an honor to represent the country just like the players do..it's not a terrible coaching gig. You make it sound like they are going to be savaged by the opposition, other countries don't have their top NHL players as well, it's a little more of a level playing field than you think.

Anyone old enough to remember the '94 Lillehammer team (which was made up of guys not in the NHL like a young Paul Kariya) can attest that though the level of hockey was not as high as it with the best of the world playing, the gold medal game was a thrilling classic, and a heartbreaker for Canada.

Losing in '92 and again '94 is one of the main reasons the idea of sending NHL'ers to the Olympics for in '98 started to gain traction here in Canada. I think 3 golds in the last 5 Olympics proves our point about who the best in the world is.

I like the idea of an underdog Canadian team winning it. I'll be cheering on Willie D and the boys just as a hard.

Well,

I see that the Russians might finally get gold,they are stacking the olympic team and get to go up against less talented Canadian, Swedish and US players.

All the big name players willing to play in the KHL for Russia. Coincidence,I do not think so.They will probably have Ovi & Malkin too.

If they do dominate you watch that prima dona Ovechkin, be anything but sportsman like.

Anything to win,cheating is their normal way,from doping to changing the rules if it favors them. Lets hope they don't win gold.

17 hours ago, DADDYROCK said:

Well,

I see that the Russians might finally get gold,they are stacking the olympic team and get to go up against less talented Canadian, Swedish and US players.

All the big name players willing to play in the KHL for Russia. Coincidence,I do not think so.They will probably have Ovi & Malkin too.

If they do dominate you watch that prima dona Ovechkin, be anything but sportsman like.

Anything to win,cheating is their normal way,from doping to changing the rules if it favors them. Lets hope they don't win gold.

The Olympics are allowing pros to be in the tourney... just the NHL is being difficult.  No issues with the SHL, KHL, making accomodations, etc.  

If Hockey Canada and USA Hockey wants to handicap their own team by not applying more pressure on Bettman, that's their own fault.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2017 at 5:49 PM, coastal.view said:

people seem to need scapegoats i think

willie is not the reason the canucks performed poorly

they were a hard working team that showed up for almost every game

they simply lacked sufficient talent

but many see the poor season as all on the coach

i think people will be disappointed when green does not save the team this season

and they again are a weaker team in the nhl

Absolutely!

I am no willie fan and do not think he is that good of a coach but it definitely was not all on him. Unfortunately it is a lot easier to fire a coach then lose highly overpaid 3rd liners and AHL trash. 

Archived