The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] 2017 NHL Entry Draft

Rate this topic

28 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Where does Pettersson go on the Top 10 Prospects list?

1. Boeser

2. Dahlen

3. Pettersson

4. Juolevi

5. Demko

If we're going by who is the most NHL-ready right now, then I agree with that list.

If we're going by who has the highest potential, then it would be something like:

1. Pettersson

2. Boeser

3. Dahlen

4. Juolevi

5. Demko

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, on the cycle said:

Benning is very high on Liljegren, heard he would take him over Heiskenen if he had to choose. Would be in line with what he said about wanting to get a good defenceman in return for any deal involving Tanev. Toronto probably wants a top 2/3 guy now, so makes sense especially since Hamonic is gone now.

If Toronto is in a win now mode which honestly I think they should be. They have a very good team IF those kids continue play as well as they did last year. I can see them parting with Liljegren for Tanev. I would do that straight up I think it's a very fair trade.

40 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

If we're going by who is the most NHL-ready right now, then I agree with that list.

If we're going by who has the highest potential, then it would be something like:

1. Pettersson

2. Boeser

3. Dahlen

4. Juolevi

5. Demko

If we somehow luck out and get Dahlin next year. We could have a hell of a core goimg forward. Still think we would need more physicality in the top 6. Maybe thats where a trade would come in. 

39 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

If Toronto is in a win now mode which honestly I think they should be. They have a very good team IF those kids continue play as well as they did last year. I can see them parting with Liljegren for Tanev. I would do that straight up I think it's a very fair trade.

Not

A

Chance

Babcock will ensure he becomes Lidstrom Lite and will see him developed immediately in the Marlies system before coming up in a season or two.

Pre draft it might have been possible but feeds saw them practically jumping when he wasn't selected just before them.

1 hour ago, peaches5 said:

Liljegren is most likely 2 seasons away from playing in NHL games. That seems too far away for Toronto. Our blueline could probably accommodate him sooner.

4 hours ago, B53 said:

We have so many dmen in Utica though, some are gonna have to play ECHL. Already had to let Olson and Neill go. Hopefully he can stay in Sweden in the mens league and develope further there. Maybe he can get an assist next season

I think Utica's going to see some big roster changes for next season. It has to. 

9 minutes ago, on the cycle said:

Liljegren is most likely 2 seasons away from playing in NHL games. That seems too far away for Toronto. Our blueline could probably accommodate him sooner.

I don't understand you guys who think Toronto is in "win now" mode.  Like,  yes they will win now, but their core players just finished their rookie season.  They haven't even hit their primes.  They can wait 2 seasons for Liljegren and he will be entering still before marner/matthews/Nylander are in their prime.   

They aren't in a situation where they must get a bunch of top players and compete hard now for a cup or their window will close they still have the luxury of being able to draft guys like Liljegren and waiting patiently for them to join the club.

• Upvote 1

We finally have guys under the age of 25 to call up. Its been annoying having to watch guys like Grenier and Zalewski being our top options. Goldobin, Dahlen, Labate, Virtanen, MacEwen, Subban, McEneny, Brisebois, Pedan, Holm, Demko could all get some games next year

5 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

I don't understand you guys who think Toronto is in "win now" mode.  Like,  yes they will win now, but their core players just finished their rookie season.  They haven't even hit their primes.  They can wait 2 seasons for Liljegren and he will be entering still before marner/matthews/Nylander are in their prime.   

They aren't in a situation where they must get a bunch of top players and compete hard now for a cup or their window will close they still have the luxury of being able to draft guys like Liljegren and waiting patiently for them to join the club.

They have to re-sign everyone so they might go for it in 2018-19. They will still be great in the future, but they have one year in the mean time in which they will have a chance to go for it

8 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

If all their rookies keep playing as good as they did there is no way they are keeping them all.

9 minutes ago, IbanezRG said:

So how's it work? I know Peterson is a bit young, is he gonna play overseas this year? Or is he Utica eligible? (I'm also assuming he doesn't crack our roster, which is still a slight possibility) 

He can play in Utica yes. I think he'd be better off going to Vaxjo and playing a year with his bro in the SHL. I'd prefer Dahlen to follow him to the SHL for one year as well

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I'm surprised that the Canucks took Pettersson at #5, but not really. Had a strong feeling about it before the pick, even with Vilardi and Glass still on the table. Benning said he was picking BPA, so I guess that means he feels Pettersson is the 3rd best forward in the draft. High praise. Pettersson seems to have been their guy for a while, scouting him heavily. It does make me wonder how much influence the Sedins have on the future of this team though. The commentators were saying that he'll learn from the Sedins. Won't they be gone by then? Drafting Pettersson, and trading for Dahlen, we now see where they're going - trying to re-create a Sedins-like line loaded with skill and chemistry. I am really happy that Pettersson and Dahlen can continue developing together. When they're ready to play in the NHL, they should be impressive and exciting to watch. As for his weight, being only 165, the Canucks staff have no concerns about him filling out his 6'2" frame. All in all, I'm quite happy with the pick. Don't know enough about the other players we drafted, will have to do my homework.

Where does Pettersson go on the Top 10 Prospects list?

1. Boeser

2. Dahlen

3. Pettersson

4. Juolevi

5. Demko

I still think Juolevi is going to surprise folks here when he makes the team in 18/19. He just does everything right

1. Boeser

2. Juolevi

3. Dahlen

4. Pettersson

5. Demko

24 minutes ago, B53 said:

He can play in Utica yes. I think he'd be better off going to Vaxjo and playing a year with his bro in the SHL. I'd prefer Dahlen to follow him to the SHL for one year as well

Just my opinion but imo get him in Utica, get him with the Canucks diet and training staff, he'll easily put on 20 lbs in a year and not lose his speed and agility. 

20 minutes ago, Inge34 said:

I still think Juolevi is going to surprise folks here when he makes the team in 18/19. He just does everything right

1. Boeser

2. Juolevi

3. Dahlen

4. Pettersson

5. Demko

You think Dahlen is a better prospect than Pettersson?

Yikes.