The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] 2017 NHL Entry Draft

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, IbanezRG said:

Just my opinion but imo get him in Utica, get him with the Canucks diet and training staff, he'll easily put on 20 lbs in a year and not lose his speed and agility. 

With added muscle he will likely get even quicker.  

37 minutes ago, IbanezRG said:

Just my opinion but imo get him in Utica, get him with the Canucks diet and training staff, he'll easily put on 20 lbs in a year and not lose his speed and agility. 

You may well be right but perhaps if we slow bake our prospects like Detroit rather than force them into the lineup like the Oilers of the last 10 years it may better serve their development. Let's face it we won't be very good for a few years so we can afford to be patient.

4 hours ago, B53 said:

Did anyone else's opinion of George McPhee change? I think he is an idiot and messed up his team so bad. So many dumb picks.

You waste your SJ pick cuz Montreal offered you a 5th for Schlemko? Why wouldnt you just take Dillon? You take Lindberg instead of Raanta, who goes for 7th overall. Engelland instead of Kulak cuz he lives in Vegas? Conner Brickley? Nosek over Ouellet or Sheahan? Haula+Tuch over Dumba+3rd pick he had to give up?

Time will tell, but it does feel like McPhee has squandered some real opportunity to make the strongest team possible. There is no way I leave Dumba alone.  I would have snagged Sharp as well. He is going to be counting on his young Russian phenom and likely rushes Glass.  

Picks are are only good if you make the right selection. I like Glass and Hague... The guys I wanted for the nucks.  But his ED list left some good players alone when he had no reason to do so.   

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Salacious Crumb said:

You may well be right but perhaps if we slow bake our prospects like Detroit rather than force them into the lineup like the Oilers of the last 10 years it may better serve their development. Let's face it we won't be very good for a few years so we can afford to be patient.

Ahl is the best developmental league there is imo. Keeping him farther away just keeps his focus on winning where he is and not cracking the NHL.. again, just my opinion, but for development I say get him with the big leagues.

Edited by IbanezRG

Love the picks this year.

I wanted Pettersen and after seeing his emotion in those videos, how proud he is to be drafted, I see what the Canucks see outside of talent, heart and character

I love the picks of Lind and Gadjovich - middle 9 players, with grit and heart. Gadjovich is a man physically already and both good Canadian kids. 

Like this Rathbone kid too, maybe we got that PP QB and didn't have to spend a high pick on one, time will tell.

Good Draft by JB, hopefully we get Try back in 3 years as well when all the pieces start fitting together, loving the look of where this is heading, and if you're a Canuck fan I can't see how you cant be excited for whats down the road!

My guess is next Draft we are D first (if high) then centers (reverse of this year).

Horvat

Boeser

Demko

Juolevi

Dahlen

Goldobin

Petterson

Virtanen

Brisbois

Granlund

Baerschi

Lockwood

Gaudette

**Tryamkin

Stecher

Gudbranson

Anyone critical of JB has to realize in three years, other than Bo, that above, is all him.

Edited by PassittoBoeser
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Salacious Crumb said:

I agree, there's no rush, even though I can't wait to see these guys in Canucks uniforms. If we're getting the players I hope we're going to get, I'm okay waiting a few years. In the meantime, I expect Benning will re-sign the Sedins for a couple of years, basically to mentor the kids, provide leadership, push Horvat. We've got Eriksson for a while, and maybe he turns it on next year. Last year couldn't have been much worse for him. Started by scoring on his own goal. Benning might also sign a few UFAs along the way, to keep the Canucks as competitive as possible. They'll most likely hover around the bottom of the standings, but eventually, the young guys will be ready to take over. I'm excited for Dahlen and Pettersson to join the team, probably in 2-3 years.

Gotta like the potential of Jake or Gadjovich on a line with Pettersson and Dahlin.  The mix at forward appears decent and has potential.  We haven't gotten that 1st OA to get the complete package, but I do like the combinations of size and skill thru potential lines.  

Edited by Eastcoast meets Westcoast
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

I agree, there's no rush, even though I can't wait to see these guys in Canucks uniforms. If we're getting the players I hope we're going to get, I'm okay waiting a few years. In the meantime, I expect Benning will re-sign the Sedins for a couple of years, basically to mentor the kids, provide leadership, push Horvat. We've got Eriksson for a while, and maybe he turns it on next year. Last year couldn't have been much worse for him. Started by scoring on his own goal. Benning might also sign a few UFAs along the way, to keep the Canucks as competitive as possible. They'll most likely hover around the bottom of the standings, but eventually, the young guys will be ready to take over. I'm excited for Dahlen and Pettersson to join the team, probably in 2-3 years.

Exactly, and when players like Dahlen, Petterson, Guadette, Lockwood, are ready they will be 21/22, Bo will be 24/25 and wearing the C, Baer,  Boeser, Goldobin will have learned consistency, we'll have a better Granlund, experienced Juolevi, Hutton, Stecher, Demko should be starting to take on the #1, and hopefully Try back from Russia

This team is going to be very TOUGH to deal with in 3 years, the depth of talent we have now (if some of this years picks turn out) is going to cause problems for McDavid and Co.

27 minutes ago, PassittoBoeser said:

Exactly, and when players like Dahlen, Petterson, Guadette, Lockwood, are ready they will be 21/22, Bo will be 24/25 and wearing the C, Baer,  Boeser, Goldobin will have learned consistency, we'll have a better Granlund, experienced Juolevi, Hutton, Stecher, Demko should be starting to take on the #1, and hopefully Try back from Russia

This team is going to be very TOUGH to deal with in 3 years, the depth of talent we have now (if some of this years picks turn out) is going to cause problems for McDavid and Co.

That's going to be exciting hockey. I know it sucks to lose and miss playoffs, but I'm enjoying this rebuild. We get to pick these great new players near the top of the order, and have something great to look forward to. I still think they need a big strong skilled LWer to be on Bo's line. Maybe they trade for him? (Kane, Landeskog), or maybe they just drafted him (Gadjovich). Who knows?  Scored 46 goals (74 points) in 60 games with Owen Sound last year.

• Upvote 1

On 6/23/2017 at 4:43 PM, DownUndaCanuck said:

I said it at the Virtanen draft as soon as he was picked and I'll say it now - Vilardi and Glass are going to have monster NHL careers. Not right away, but Vilardi as a big physical Getzlaf-like 17 year old is going to make JB regret this big-time. We needed someone like him to complement Horvat and our skinny wingers and instead we pick the smallest center out there.

High risk, medium reward pick. 

I said I'd wait until this off-season is over to evaluate Benning and I suppose we have to give these draftees a bit of time to prove themselves, but he's made a lot of big mistakes lately.

He is 6'2". He will gain weight. Put him on the Horvat plan and he'll be 185 lbs of muscle in two years. Jesus people, he's only 18.

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

That's going to be exciting hockey. I know it sucks to lose and miss playoffs, but I'm enjoying this rebuild. We get to pick these great new players near the top of the order, and have something great to look forward to. I still think they need a big strong skilled LWer to be on Bo's line. Maybe they trade for him? (Kane, Landeskog), or maybe they just drafted him (Gadjovich). Who knows?  Scored 46 goals (74 points) in 60 games with Owen Sound last year.

If they develop Gadjovich and Virtanen properly they have two sizable, physical wingers on the left side. Gadjovich says he patterns his game over Brouwer.

1 minute ago, canuckleheads fan said:

He is 6'2". He will gain weight. Put him on the Horvat plan and he'll be 185 lbs of muscle in two years. Jesus people, he's only 18.

Put him on the virtanen plan! lol

I was 6'0 168 in grade 12 (17), training, eating etc, by 20 I was 6'2' 195 not hard to do.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, B53 said:

We finally have guys under the age of 25 to call up. Its been annoying having to watch guys like Grenier and Zalewski being our top options. Goldobin, Dahlen, Labate, Virtanen, MacEwen, Subban, McEneny, Brisebois, Pedan, Holm, Demko could all get some games next year

Awesome post totally agree we have a rockstar GM the haters can go eat paint chips or sniff glue which ever they prefer :lol:

• Upvote 1