The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] 2017 NHL Entry Draft

Rate this topic

20 minutes ago, appleboy said:

What they need is inner toughness. A resolve to succeed no matter what. The twins are tough but they should have been surrounded with a club that could take care of that kind of business.  The oilers are surrounding McDavid.

The twins are only around 185 pounds and have survived for a long time in this league. I can see Benning bringing in a few players to care for the nasty business. 

Gadjhovic? 

3 hours ago, CoolCanucklehead said:

1st it's take Virtanen (Size over skill). Then it's why didn't we take Nylander or Ehlers.

Now it's take Glass. Why did we take Petterson (Skill over size). 

:blink:

Petterson - 165 lbs.

Ehlers      - 163 lbs.

Nylander  - 169 lbs.

:shock:

I think you're miscasting Virtanen.  When he was drafted, Benning said he was picked because he brought a unique skill set.  What he was saying is that it is not every year when a player with a power forward profile is ranked in the top 10.  Benning has always drafted speed and skill.  Jake is fast.  Skill?  That's the power forward part and Benning always likes a player with a good shot which Jake has.

Not sure about anyone else but personally speaking, if our team isn't a cup contender (which we currently aren't), a team of young skilled up-and-comers is exactly what I want to see, win or lose.  Show me speed, skill and compete and I'll always buy in, guaranteed.

Absolutely loved our draft.  Benning has the right vision for this team.  I'm excited and encouraged.

Great job Trader Jim.

• Upvote 1

Going into the draft I had absolutely no problem with Elias Pettersson, seems to have one of the highest upsides in the draft. It was always a matter of if our staff thought he could put on the weight to become that player and from what Benning had said it seems like they are confident he will be fine. So I am more than fine with the pick. Glad we are finally swinging for the fences on a high upside player.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Going into the draft I had absolutely no problem with Elias Pettersson, seems to have one of the highest upsides in the draft. It was always a matter of if our staff thought he could put on the weight to become that player and from what Benning had said it seems like they are confident he will be fine. So I am more than fine with the pick. Glad we are finally swinging for the fences on a high upside player.

People focus on weight a little too much sometimes. These are 17/18 year old guys who are obviously going to fill out.

If Pettersson was 6'2" and 190 lbs I doubt he even makes it past 3, might even go ahead of Patrick with the numbers he put up.

I have no doubt he'll put in the work to get his weight and strength up.

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

People focus on weight a little too much sometimes. These are 17/18 year old guys who are obviously going to fill out.

If Pettersson was 6'2" and 190 lbs I doubt he even makes it past 3, might even go ahead of Patrick with the numbers he put up.

Agreed, especially in the modern day NHL. And even then, you look at guys like Marner/Gaudreau/Nylander/exc.

With Pettersson's hockey sense, even if he can come in around 180 I think he will be a fine NHLer. His brother is 175 now & Elias is taller + heavier at the same age. If he comes in around 185-190 he should be more than fine. Our staff has confidence he will be fine which was my only concern about this player as I said before.

I'm definitely good with this pick. And I agree that with more weight he would have been talked of as a surefire top 5 guy. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian

12 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

He and LD are going to command a lot of cash. The 6x6 isn't going to work when they are clearly way better than RNH, Eberle and Hall. Cap is going to become a big issue in Edmonton. Serves them right for wasting so many 1OA picks. 

I'm not sure who it was on here, but someone said Mcjesus is asking $14m per year on a long term contract, I don't think Edmonton has the leverage to say no. If they end up paying that amount or anything close they're completely screwed when it comes to the cap and the quality of the rest of the team. When one guy takes up 20% of your cap it's almost impossible to afford quality up and down the lineup. If these rumors are true Edmonton is screwed both now and in the future.

1 hour ago, Mattrek said:

I'm not sure who it was on here, but someone said Mcjesus is asking $14m per year on a long term contract, I don't think Edmonton has the leverage to say no. If they end up paying that amount or anything close they're completely screwed when it comes to the cap and the quality of the rest of the team. When one guy takes up 20% of your cap it's almost impossible to afford quality up and down the lineup. If these rumors are true Edmonton is screwed both now and in the future.

They will have to pay LD whatever they pay CMd. LD's playoff performance was stellar. Honestly if I had a choice between the two, I take LD over CMd. 

Years of miss management cannot be erased in just a few years. We can see that with our current roster... the Oilers have wasted so many opportunities to improve that they are now completely exposed to agents and offer sheets. 

I would totally take a flyer on LD, even if it cost a number of picks. The guy is legit and would be money in our lineup. 

It won't happen, but why not, we are hated across the league, why play nice when it comes to contracts. 

EmW

24 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

They will have to pay LD whatever they pay CMd. LD's playoff performance was stellar. Honestly if I had a choice between the two, I take LD over CMd. 

Years of miss management cannot be erased in just a few years. We can see that with our current roster... the Oilers have wasted so many opportunities to improve that they are now completely exposed to agents and offer sheets. 

I would totally take a flyer on LD, even if it cost a number of picks. The guy is legit and would be money in our lineup. 

It won't happen, but why not, we are hated across the league, why play nice when it comes to contracts. 

EmW

:lol:

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mattrek said:

Brilliant 

2 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

:lol:

I don't mind getting laughed at, Leon was a beast in the playoffs this year.  He should be a little less expensive making it easier to build around him.  

When I look at the type of centres that win Championships, Leon brings that type of game. When I look at players that win scoring titles, CMd brings that type of game. 

To me I take Toews over Kane every time.  I like Crosby a lot more now than when he came into the league, because he changed his game and became a two way player, same thing Yzerman did for Detroit. 

Thats what I see in Leon that I think is missing from CMd ATM.  

EmW

5 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

I don't mind getting laughed at, Leon was a beast in the playoffs this year.  He should be a little less expensive making it easier to build around him.  

When I look at the type of centres that win Championships, Leon brings that type of game. When I look at players that win scoring titles, CMd brings that type of game. 

To me I take Toews over Kane every time.  I like Crosby a lot more now than when he came into the league, because he changed his game and became a two way player, same thing Yzerman did for Detroit. 

Thats what I see in Leon that I think is missing from CMd ATM.  

EmW

Without mcdavid the oilers aren't even in the playoffs. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, 73 Percent said:

Without mcdavid the oilers aren't even in the playoffs. 

I think they have turned the corner and are no longer a one trick pony. But if one guy got them to the playoffs , it was Talbot, not CMd. 

LD is a top center in his own right. I liked his play at the World Cup a lot and he seems to be able to elevate his game in the post season. He may never win the scoring title, but I don't value that trophy as much as a Conn Smythe. 

IMO 

5 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

EmW

I can't imagine any other hockey fan agreeing with you. McDavid has played 127 games and he is the most talented player in the league and will lead the league in points for years to come.

After being picked first on 147 of 167 Hart Trophy ballots this year — Crosby was first on 14 — McDavid became the third player to earn MVP honours before his 21st birthday, after Crosby and Wayne Gretzky. By winning the Hart, the Art Ross Trophy as the NHL’s leading scorer and the Ted Lindsay Award for league MVP as voted by its players, McDavid, at age 20, may have already bridged the gap between himself and his childhood idol.

Edited by Ryan Strome
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, DeNiro said:

They don't always fill out. I know a lot of guys whose frames are wide but whose metabolism is very high and they're lean and strong but could never fill out. One of the things I love about Elias is his non-stop motor, but I'm wondering if that speaks to a high metabolism. Also, some people "fill out" but lose explosiveness. Again, I know some people who are like that. Benning actually had to address this concern about not filling out: "We’ve already asked those questions about his brother and how much he weighed and stuff. Elias is not real heavy right now, but he’s wiry-strong and has good balance on the puck. If he can get to 185 or 190 pounds like his brother, with the balance he has on his skates, he’ll be plenty strong enough." Notice the word 'if' and not 'when'. There is a risk.

I do like getting him as I'd pay money to watch him play but as for whether he would have gone ahead of Patrick with just those numbers, I think you're overrating that league and forgetting that Elias didn't have good numbers in international competition and Sweden didn't even put him at center. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I can't imagine any other hockey fan agreeing with you. McDavid has played 127 games and he is the most talented player in the league and will lead the league in points for years to come.

After being picked first on 147 of 167 Hart Trophy ballots this year — Crosby was first on 14 — McDavid became the third player to earn MVP honours before his 21st birthday, after Crosby and Wayne Gretzky. By winning the Hart, the Art Ross Trophy as the NHL’s leading scorer and the Ted Lindsay Award for league MVP as voted by its players, McDavid, at age 20, may have already bridged the gap between himself and his childhood idol.

Who won more cups Messier or Gretzky?  That's the dfference I see between them.  I don't care what personal awards are on the table,CMd was outplayed by Leon in the playoffs.

13 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Who won more cups Messier or Gretzky?  That's the dfference I see between them.  I don't care what personal awards are on the table,CMd was outplayed by Leon in the playoffs.

What a ridiculous comparison. Wayne was traded to L.A while MM stayed in Edmonton and then played on a stacked Rangers team. Again you would be the only person to take Mark over Wayne. That's laughable. 

• Upvote 2

Hank is 6'2" and 183 ld. He has managed to play 18 years with very little missed time. This kid is 165 as 17 year old. Are we really worried about this. People used to say 99 was 160 ld soaking wet.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, steviewonder20 said:

Both Ehlers and Nylander are shorter, which makes them stockier and gives them a lower center of gravity so presumably they are harder to knock off the puck (or knock on their a**). Petterson at 6'2" and 165 lbs is more of a bean pole than Ehlers or Nylander. Gaining weight is not easy for everyone, just google "hard gainer". I understand from Benning's interview that the Canuck trainers feel he can (eventually) put on 15-20 lbs, however. 

The hard gainer thing is only people who do not know how to train and eat the right way to gain weight. I thought I was a hard gainer until i educated myself. In most cases people who claim to be hard gainers do not eat enough and try to train to much or not smartly. I can take any tiny little weak person and put 10 to 20 pounds of muscle on their frame in a few months, especial if they are new to the weights. Their is a science to gaining weight and all the sports teams have the trainers that can apply that science to any athlete. Petterson well be playing at around 180 to 195+ in his prime. The thing about athletes is finding their ideal playing weight, where they have the most strength and speed well keeping cardio. I for one at 5'9 am just as strong at 175 as I am at 190. I feel a lot better at 175 then 190 even though my body fat remains the same. I graduated high school with about 3 years of weight training at 140 pounds. I then decided I was doing something wrong so I research every fitness and sport training info I could get my hands on. From the age of 18 to 20 I put on 35 to 50 pounds of muscle on a very small frame(my wrist are 5.5 and ankles 7.5 inches).