The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] 2017 NHL Entry Draft

Rate this topic

Lol c'mon, don't harp on poor appleboy too much.  Just a little misunderstood based on the context of what he said.

Fun fact, the top pick of the draft, Nico Hischier, was drafted at a full 12 lbs heavier than Elias-- 12 lbs!  Now look at him, already on pace for a 50 point season.  It's arguable that Elias has at least the same level of talent, and he's been described as a "hard-nosed" two-way guy who likely plays above his weight would suggest.  Without even seeing him against top competition, I'm already excited to see how he'll be in North American ice.

Years from now, hopefully a line of Gadjovich - Pettersson - Dahlen or Dahlen - Pettersson - Virtanen could be one that would be dominant for this team.  

• 6 months later...
On ‎2017‎-‎06‎-‎23 at 4:39 PM, messier's_elbow said:

Benning should be fired

On ‎2017‎-‎06‎-‎23 at 4:39 PM, Silky mitts said:

Bennington strikes again

On ‎2017‎-‎06‎-‎23 at 4:39 PM, the_impersonator13 said:

Stupid Pick

On ‎2017‎-‎06‎-‎23 at 4:39 PM, Nancouver said:

Benning you idiot!!

On ‎2017‎-‎06‎-‎23 at 4:39 PM, High and Inside said:

Your fired Jim!! 

On ‎2017‎-‎06‎-‎23 at 4:40 PM, messier's_elbow said:

Prediction: Benning is fired by next summer.

On ‎2017‎-‎06‎-‎23 at 4:40 PM, YummyCakeFace said:

I'm done with Benning. 

::D

• Haha 2

On 6/23/2017 at 5:41 PM, Warhippy said:

ARE YOU FKKKIII NIBYVGSOHB:JBSLKJVSKJHFJHSVK

We passed on Glass and Vilardi.

A linden and a getzlaf compatible player on the board for either one

And he takes the 5 year project.

It is what it is, but do NOT expect to see him for a minimum of 4-6 years

I'm seeing him this year fam

• Haha 3

Draft time is a favourite time on CDC. Lots of emotional explosions ! That's a good thing. People are excited. Personally I know that when it comes to the draft, I know diddly squat....nada....zilch. Folk, myself included, get 98% of their opinions from discussions and almost nothing from eyes on. Pettersson was not even on my radar. With my very, very limited viewing, I did not want Makar or Vilardi, but would have welcomed them to the organisation. I was dreading a Rasmussen or Tippett pick. I wanted Heiskanen, Glass or Mittelstadt, in that order. Once we picked Pettersson, I was totally on board ( as a 'nuck fan, you always hope for the best ). I had a good laugh reading some of the angst that this pick generated. I am surprised that people reacted so harshly. Surely they know that they have only a small part of the story !

On 3/9/2018 at 11:16 AM, debluvscanucks said:

OK, so he's a bust in your eyes.  I'll come back and compare notes later.  

Don't mind me if I stay enthusiastic though...hasn't been a whole lot of that lately.  

Thatta girl.    I'm a gloat and have a bit of a told you so moment.  Even if it is premature...what I've seen so far, I love this kid.  My son had him in his "hope we pick" pile before we picked and shared why.  He's a huge hockey guy and I trust him as my go to.  Seems he really does know his stuff. 

Wish I'd bet five bucks with every doubter who was throwing daggers about EP. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

LOL 

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

How about in 2 when Pettersson is front runner for the Calder? 

Many have been doing a "mea culpa" about Pettersson all year.  There were experts that were stumped by the pick.  I think only 1 publication even had him going before the top 8-10 if memory serves.  He's even sprouted 3 or 4 inches since that day. 

JB earned every penny he's been paid in just that day alone.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Many have been doing a "mea culpa" about Pettersson all year.  There were experts that were stumped by the pick.  I think only 1 publication even had him going before the top 8-10 if memory serves.  He's even sprouted 3 or 4 inches since that day. 

JB earned every penny he's been paid in just that day alone.

This is just it, I didn't know enough about Pettersson to be that vocal for or against, so I didn't say much of anything about the pick. 

Being honest myself my Top 3 choices were Heiskanen, Rasmussen, and Suzuki. 1 stud, 2 we'll see projects. Maybe if I were in Bennings position I would have been swayed towards Pettersson by scouts or I would have been stubborn and gone with Rasmussen. I think Benning out GM’d me in that pick. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

This is just it, I didn't know enough about Pettersson to be that vocal for or against, so I didn't say much of anything about the pick. 

Being honest myself my Top 3 choices were Heiskanen, Rasmussen, and Suzuki. 1 stud, 2 we'll see projects. Maybe if I were in Bennings position I would have been swayed towards Pettersson by scouts or I would have been stubborn and gone with Rasmussen. I think Benning out GM’d me in that pick. 

That day it was just as much about who was there to pick as much as who the Canucks picked.  Many people wanted Cody Glass.  It turns out Cody Glass is a slow developer and EP40 is likely going to be an elite forward who will dominate for years to come.

Personally, I wasn't happy about his size and weight.  Then he grew like a friggin' weed in 2 years time.  :lol:

What I'm excited about is that after he bulks up, he's going to add pushing people off of pucks easier to his repertoire.  His 2 best assets, quickness and smarts, won't be affected by the extra weight either.  And if the support staff does their job properly, it won't do anything to his speed either.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, SabreFan1 said:

That day it was just as much about who was there to pick as much as who the Canucks picked.  Many people wanted Cody Glass.  It turns out Cody Glass is a slow developer and EP40 is likely going to be an elite forward who will dominate for years to come.

Personally, I wasn't happy about his size and weight.  Then he grew like a friggin' weed in 2 years time.  :lol:

What I'm excited about is that after he bulks up, he's going to add pushing people off of pucks easier to his repertoire.  His 2 best assets, quickness and smarts, won't be affected by the extra weight either.  And if the support staff does their job properly, it won't do anything to his speed either.

Glass is still a very good prospect. Most consider top 10 in the world not in the NHL.

Did Vegas need to put him in the NHL?  They have Karlsson & Stastny on their top two lines. A different kind of identity on their 2knd two lines.

Its just as well they let him marinate.  Its expected he makes the team next spring. (I'm in Australia, fall for you guys looking down on us). 

Had he not been injured (out with mid level, not serious, knee injury) I would also be surprised, but not shocked if he got a play off game in the NHL this year. He turned up his scoring, almost 2 points a game in junior this year after always being strong, before getting hurt.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Glass is still a very good prospect. Most consider top 10 in the world not in the NHL.

Did Vegas need to put him in the NHL?  They have Karlsson & Stastny on their top two lines. A different kind of identity on their 2knd two lines.

Its just as well they let him marinate.  Its expected he makes the team next spring. (I'm in Australia, fall for you guys looking down on us). 

Had he not been injured (out with mid level, not serious, knee injury) I would also be surprised, but not shocked if he got a play off game in the NHL this year. He turned up his scoring, almost 2 points a game in junior this year after always being strong, before getting hurt.

I hope he does well when he gets to the NHL.  I predicted that he would.  He's just developing slower than some thought he would.  He has a great chance this summer though.  With Vegas taking a step back this year, they need, and will give him every opportunity, to do well in training camp.