The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] 2017 NHL Entry Draft

Rate this topic

How about Mason "Gallagher" Shaw with one of our 4ths?

https://canucksarmy.com/2017/06/02/nation-network-2017-prospect-profile-33-mason-shaw/

From The Draft Analyst:

Playmaking two-way center with a strong feel for the game who simply knows what to do with the puck on his stick. Shaw is undersized from a physical standpoint, but his heart and effort quickly make you forget he’s under six feet tall. Shaw is an elite passer and phenomenal stickhandler who uses quick movements within tight spaces to earn enough time to carve up a congested zone. He plays with bite and is one of the draft’s better options to bolster a power play. Shaw, who led all first-year CHL draft eligibles in assists (67) and primary assists (43), isn’t a fast skater but his edges and balance are strong enough to keep him on his feet while maintaining full control of the puck. Always looking to attack, Shaw can thread the needle from distances well over the dimensions of a specific zone. His shot is accurate and deceptively quick, and uses a variety of ways to score. Nevertheless, he’s a pass-first center who will defer to a set-up rather than take a low percentage shot.

There are some decent prospects left 

1. Nic Hague, D, Mississauga (OHL)
  2. Isaac Ratcliffe, LW, Guelph (OHL)
  3. Conor Timmins, D, Sault Ste, Marie (OHL)
  4. Jason Robertson, RW, Kingston (OHL)

Bob McKenzie had all these guys going first round, so yeah, to be able to get a first round prospect with our 33rd, sign me up! 

With the 55 (depending if we grad a D or Forward at 33)

1. Nikita Popugaev, LW, Prince George (WHL)
  2. Alexandre Texier, C, Grenoble (Fra.)
  3. Nate Schnarr, C, Guelph (OHL)
  4. Lukas Elvenes, RW, Rogle (Swe.)
  5. Matthew Strome, LW, Hamilton (OHL)
  6. David Farrance, D, U.S. NTDP (USHL)

Could look alright coming out of the second round. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

And satisfy the triggered snowflakes like Chippy who put a player's ethnicity over how they play.

How am I putting a players ethnicity over how they play? Go back and read my posts I never advocated taking a guy who is a lesser player because of his race.

What I meant is if all things are equal between 2 guys it's a bonus that they are from different backgrounds.

It's good for the game if it ever wants to be global like soccer or basketball.

Calm down there bud nobody is triggered but you like the lady who needs a white doctor because he is Canadian.

I'm surprised how far people take the smallest of comments it's like I touched a nerve there...  

I didn't even have to throw in a gratuitous "white privilege" remark.

38 minutes ago, LimitedEdition said:

Pretty sure that's been said by every NHL analyst over the last 8 months.  Nice try at contributing original and insightful CDC content.

Oh sorry didn't know that was my job there boss. I'll try to save up a golden nugget for you.

Nothing gets past you right. It's easy to be right all the time when you never post or share an idea to begin with.

I don't know if you are my #1 critic or secretly biggest fan  sometimes but thanks for coming out.

1 hour ago, Seannnp said:

Just read that there was a deal in place with Vegas. 5th for 6th and a 2nd rounder. McPhee pulled out last minute becuase he felt certain Glass would be there at 6. 

Someone spilled the beans, otherwise we would have had 3 2nds. Canuck luck strikes again?

A leak?  Or somebody reading the tea leaves.  Benning visited Petterssen in Sweden after the combine.  In hindsight, it was all there.

33 minutes ago, Inge34 said:

There are some decent prospects left 

1. Nic Hague, D, Mississauga (OHL)
  2. Isaac Ratcliffe, LW, Guelph (OHL)
  3. Conor Timmins, D, Sault Ste, Marie (OHL)
  4. Jason Robertson, RW, Kingston (OHL)

Bob McKenzie had all these guys going first round, so yeah, to be able to get a first round prospect with our 33rd, sign me up! 

With the 55 (depending if we grad a D or Forward at 33)

1. Nikita Popugaev, LW, Prince George (WHL)
  2. Alexandre Texier, C, Grenoble (Fra.)
  3. Nate Schnarr, C, Guelph (OHL)
  4. Lukas Elvenes, RW, Rogle (Swe.)
  5. Matthew Strome, LW, Hamilton (OHL)
  6. David Farrance, D, U.S. NTDP (USHL)

Could look alright coming out of the second round. 

Agreed. I think Anderson-Dolan and Lind could also be in the mix at 33. I saw a quote today where GMJB said he'd be open to moving the 55 to get more picks later. I hope he doesn't do this. Take the top two on your list and then a goalie at 64. That'd be a solid draft imo. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

In my draft+1 year the Canucks picked a player with essentially the same name as me (he was a Mc I'm a Mac), does that count? ^_^. My blood thirsty fans were a couple of guys on my intramural UBC ice hockey team who thought they were going to have to find another goalie next year.

My gut wanted Glass, but I can see the thinking behind this pick.  Glass may have the more appealing overall package but Pettersson may have more pure skill.  If projecting our future top 3 centres, Pettersson/Horvat/Gaudette seems more diverse than Glass/Horvat/Gaudette

I'm with you.  Then I went back and looked at McKenzie's rankings and he had Petterssen ahead of Glass.  I don't know why, but other people know more than i do (no surprise) and I can live with it.  Time will tell.  I'm not losing it over this.

Mc v Mac....I think it depends on how Scottish you are.  I've been corrected firmly a couple of times

5 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Yup yup, JB has put it all on the line with this pick.  He had to know that the fan base would be way more behind Glass, the Aqualinis must have wanted Vlardi... 

If Horvat can keep improving he becomes a poor mans LD or SM.  Pettersson easily is our most skilled prospect including Boeser and OJ and is likely only behind the twins in terms of pure skill on the roster.  The question will always be Glass vs Pettersson.  I wanted Glass over Pettersson.  But if JB lands a Backstrom out of the draft, it payed off.  

He could come straight into the AHL this year, really skinny, but so was Nylander, Johnny Hockey heck even Greyzky was a bean pole.  It isn't a reason not to take a player IMO, but isn't preferred either.  So for JB who prizes meat and potatoes took a guy based on pure skill, it means he went out of his comfort zone.  He believes in this pick. That says something to what the nucks see in Pettersson to draft him in spite of being a bean pole.  

BTW, we always say the Gradin finds jems, this time his guy was taken, that also is significant, no way they take Pettersson if Gradin is against it.  The two best scouts in the Org had to both like Pettersson to take him over Glass.  

EmW

Agree.

Don't quite get the negativity just now. Yes we didn't take one of the bigger forwards, but we didn't take Ehlers or Nylander, when we had the chance to add skill, cause they were soft skinny Europeans. And there has been a lot of crying over that since.....

Now JB is taking a swing at someone, who although being a skinny kid, many believed is one of the most skilled players in this draft. We don't have this skilled playmaker in our ranks, and as far as I remember the Sedins were also skinny bean poles, when they got drafted.

I also wanted Glass, but I think we have just landed our future no. 1 Center man. 

Finally I like we have more control over his development... He'll be able to play AHL, if Canucks feels this is the way to go.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I don't see why people are so upset with the Petersson pick. We need that consistent offensive/PP threat in the system. Glass would have been a good pick as well but there is nothing wrong with the Petersson selection. 

Some are disappointed that we didn't trade down? How much would the Knights really have offered to move up 1 spot? I don't think Petersson would have made it past the 6th or 7th pick anyway. Didn't Andersson go #7? EP would have been selected before (I think it was?) the coyotes selected him at 7. 

Many will come around to the pick tomorrow after sleeping it off. It is easy to become personally attached to preferred selections. Just remember we aren't the pros and they had access to WAAAYYY more information than we did. 

Welcome to Canuck Land EP!

Because with a top 5 pick you go with the best player available. If it was later in the first round sure, but such is life in Canuck's land. 

3 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

Because with a top 5 pick you go with the best player available. If it was later in the first round sure, but such is life in Canuck's land. 

They did, according to them.  McKenzie had his aggregate with Pettersson at 7 and Glass at 8, with Vilardi and Mittelstadt ahead of them, yet they went 8 and 11.  Vilardi was the only real outlier as most had him top-5.

• Upvote 1

Someone who I personally respect for his Hockey knowledge had Elias Petterson at #7 ahead of Glass.

http://www.tsn.ca/mckenzie-s-draft-ranking-top-93-and-honourable-mentions-1.778987

Also Craig Button had Petterson at #8.

http://www.tsn.ca/craig-s-list-final-ranking-1.294692

Andersson went #7 after being ranked #13 & #18 respectively...:shock:

So why all the fuss about Petterson at #5?

:blink:

Edited by CoolCanucklehead

9 minutes ago, CoolCanucklehead said:

Someone who I personally respect for his Hockey knowledge had Elias Petterson at #7 ahead of Glass.

http://www.tsn.ca/mckenzie-s-draft-ranking-top-93-and-honourable-mentions-1.778987

Also Craig Button had Petterson at #8.

http://www.tsn.ca/craig-s-list-final-ranking-1.294692

Andersson went #7 after being ranked #13 & #18 respectively...:shock:

So why all the fuss about Petterson at #5?

:blink: