The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

5 hours ago, cory40 said:

The Oilers had a deep team they could win by 3 or 4 goals. The Sedins won't be missed this year. Pretty simple they only we're combined involved in like 65 goals and they needed 120 points to do that. Any other two players with 120 combined points it will be more like 80 goals scored for the team. If Pettersson is involved in 60 goals that's the same amount of goals the Sedins would have been involved in. Total goals are the measuring stick not total points 

9 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

In Reality?

I think that is a silly statement

There can be 3 points to a goal by Any player on All teams

You are using Sedins points generated?

How does that make sense?

Everyone else gets points on every other line in the League

So when Gretzky and Kurri were scoring 296 combined points each season, they only had to replace how many points?

Kurri scored 102 the year without Wayne, after Wayne was traded

Wayne 168 that year

It doesn't even make sense saying that to me

In your mind

Had they been split (like Gretzky Kurri) they wouldn't have helped the team score goals?

They could score goals without each other and when Henrik won Daniel was hurt

The coaches just chose to keep them together

A )we’re clearly not talking about the same thing 

B ) i am making a statement that people who think we need a 100 point player or 2 new 50 point players to replace the sedins is not actually the answer. The sedins were involvd in a lot of goals together, skewing that 100 point base that people keep talking about. If you subtract the goals where both were involved (so 2 points added and not 1)you would realistically see that we do not need to compensate 100 point’s worth of players, but more like 60 (this is a rough number obviously). Since every body can score points, surely one of the 3 points will go to someone else as well, meaning we dont really need to replace 2 players. We just need one 60 point player ala EP

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, cory40 said:

Yeh true, But your so missing my point. If they were together or one was hurt they still got the same amount of goals. But hey some can't seem to grasp that two players of high caliber involved in each others points to the degree that they did does not spread out the offense. But hey let this year prove my point less points and more goals and finishing higher in the standings.

Well was that the point I was disputing.......? 

Edit: Reread your own post.... You made multiple claims....

Edited by Dats hockey

602 pages for Elias Pettersson in between getting drafted and having yet to skate with the Canucks.

No pressure, kid...

This guy is the 1C by Christmas if not before.

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Me_ said:

602 pages for Elias Pettersson in between getting drafted and having yet to skate with the Canucks.

No pressure, kid...

This guy is the 1C by Christmas if not before.

Well this Quinn Hughes guy is gonna get 200 pages in between playing games at college.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, cory40 said:

I'm not saying they weren't great players but I looked at the stats and they we're involved almost to a the letter T in each others assists. So all I am saying is they should have 30 more goals as a team with two 58 pt players ,and that never translated the last few years.

Malkin and Crosby can be split and pick up two lines. In the Sedins case that was not so, In fact their style need each other to generate points. If they we're involved in say 68 goals for the year combined and it came off 60 points each that still is just 68 goals. When it should be closer to 78 to 80 goals. So to say we need to get the total points in the system to generate the same amount of goals is not true. In fact if we get two players to get 40 points it should translate to 68 goals then that would replace the Sedins. And if we get players to play 5 on 5 and OT we will be better off. Now I am a Sedin fan through and through but them not being split hurt the team when they got older because neither in their last few years was a shooter. 

We didn't lose the Sedins in their prime! In case you hadn't noticed they couldn't play 3 on 3 and were often out matched 5 on 5 when they were not in their prime anymore.

We need to replace what the Sedins did last season to keep growing, And I am saying not as hard as people think that's all.

Then your argument is inconsistent and has no basis. You can't compare end of their career Sedins to late half of their prime Malkin and Crosby. 

It wasn't so much that the Canucks couldnt score a lot of goals because the Sedins were in on each other's goals, it was that the Sedins were 2nd Line players because they were at the end of their career and the Canucks arguably only had one 1st Line player on the team to replace them last year in Brock Boeser, and before that, no one.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Yung1 said:

Then your argument is inconsistent and has no basis. You can't compare end of their career Sedins to late half of their prime Malkin and Crosby. 

It wasn't so much that the Canucks couldnt score a lot of goals because the Sedins were in on each other's goals, it was that the Sedins were 2nd Line players because they were at the end of their career and the Canucks arguably only had one 1st Line player on the team to replace them last year in Brock Boeser, and before that, no one.

Why do people dis...Bo...he would have had 30 goals last year if he hadn't have been injured for  a quarter of it...AND he plays in all situations against the best line every night...

That is a first line Centre...!

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Why do people dis...Bo...he would have had 30 goals last year if he hadn't have been injured for  a quarter of it...AND he plays in all situations against the best line every night...

Yup 100% and just imagine if EP turns into 1C having 2 1C. Ooooof that’s the stuff dreams are made of. Bo has such a versatile pedigree to his game which is going to make him the man 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

This is why I was sure to use the word "arguably". You could definitely make fair argument for 2017-18 bo being first line, but the counter argument would be that 2017-18 bo is not a first line player player on a playoff team, and therefore an incompetent 1st liner.

But with that said, i do think it will become much easier to argue for bo as competent 1st liner as soon as this upcoming season.

6 minutes ago, Bovechkin said:

If you recall, spelling a player's name correctly has an immense impact on their development ;) this message cannot get lost!

With EP the main issue is not with spelling/grammar, but pronunciation! 

The man himself said "PEE-TER-son" but everybody in Sweden does call him "PETT-ER-son"... (the latter seems more authentically Swedish).

It's the first name that I have issue with people mispronouncing; it's "Eh-Lee-Us" not "Ee-Lie-Us". :)

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Yeah its true people keep saying we need to replace 100 points, 50 for each sedin. But in reality, most of those are from the same goal so really we only need to replace like 60-70 points,and a guy like EP alone could do that. Add in Horvat Baertschi Virtanen and Boeser all set for career years, players like gagner eriksson granlund goldobin and leipsic looking to gain some traction, and a d core with a steady prospect probably coming in. I dontknow, it just seems like collectively we arent that bad even with the sedin’s retirement. EP is a stud and him alone in my opinion is enough to compensate for the sedin’s departure.

what a ridiculous premise. generally linemates get points on each other's goals. this isn't news. the sedins did it more frequently than others because they were consistent enough to always play together.

the canucks need to replace a consistent, premier second line.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, nergish said:

The man himself said "PEE-TER-son" but everybody in Sweden does call him "PETT-ER-son"... (the latter seems more authentically Swedish).

It's the first name that I have issue with people mispronouncing; it's "Eh-Lee-Us" not "Ee-Lie-Us". :)

BRUHHH. This forum can't figure out the right way to spell a player's name.....you want to pile on and add pronunciation to the tasks at hand? You overestimate us ;) 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, nergish said:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, tas said:

what a ridiculous premise. generally linemates get points on each other's goals. this isn't news. the sedins did it more frequently than others because they were consistent enough to always play together.

the canucks need to replace a consistent, premier second line.

Love those guys but I disagree- Players on a consistent, premier second line don't end the season (-30). Especially when they're also PP1 and don't PK.

Their Dzone play was frequently hard to watch, and not in a sense that I was angry, but their own zone play had gotten so bad that I was genuinely in the 12 stages of grief before they even announced retirement.

The Canucks need to replace 30ish goals and that doesn't take the (-30's) into account.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, luckylager said:

Love those guys but I disagree- Players on a consistent, premier second line don't end the season (-30). Especially when they're also PP1 and don't PK.

Their Dzone play was frequently hard to watch, and not in a sense that I was angry, but their own zone play had gotten so bad that I was genuinely in the 12 stages of grief before they even announced retirement.

The Canucks need to replace 30ish goals and that doesn't take the (-30's) into account.

I think this season will be interesting to see what life will be like without the Sedins. On one hand, having a bad season isn't necessarily a bad thing as we are rebuilding but I would be pleasantly surprised if we do better than expected. 

• Cheers 3