The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Canadian Clay said:

Look at the top line centre for the 2015 Blackhawks, 2014 kings, 2011 bruins, or 2010 Blackhawks. 

If bo horvat can turn into a 60 point centre with an excellent two way game and good face offs, he can be a first line centre

Closer to home, Brendan Morrison centered a pretty good line back in the day and he wasn't a top end first line centre. If you're not spending 10 million bucks for the centre, you can afford better wingers. If you do have a line with 3 top end first line players, that line gets real expensive real fast, unless you are lucky and smart enough to be able to lock them all into long term contracts just when they start to blossom. And then they do continue to blossom.

6 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

Thanks Rick I appreciate it. I'm never going to live that post down am I. Last time I make a reactionary post like that again lol

This is a forum for discussions. Its great that people have a reaction.... Its opinions, and thats what makes CDC a great place to spend hours on end... Keep it up ::D

6 hours ago, Green Building said:

Don't everybody be too hasty, those reactions are what make this place fun.

Exactly...

• Cheers 1

21 hours ago, tas said:

like I said, vanek is interchangeable. the sedins, as well, could be replaced by baertschi on pp1 and granlund on pp2.

i also feel like you're one of the many who fail to realize that this management team isn't going to suddenly pull an about face and decide they don't want veterans in the lineup. there's no way pettersson, gaudette and goldobin all make the team on top of boeser, virtanen, stecher, maybe juolevi, etc. 

rest assured that if the sedins and vanek don't return, there will be other players in their late twenties brought in to replace them. unless, of course, management doesn't return. 

Well I hope not...I think we trade Goldy and Elias and Gaudette make it next year...that is my prediction...

....oh and about the management's face....JB has been preaching getting younger for  a long time now...I think he has the horses to do it next year....

Edited by Rollieo Del Fuego

I am not sure pettersen next year is realistic.  Gaudette coming in next year starting in a 4th line center role like Horvat did as a rookie and gradually working his way up in minutes and role makes sense to me.  But Pettersen specifically I think goes to Utica with Dahlen, works on draws and they both work on systems and work their way up to first line with a big body on the other side.  Then the year after move up to Vancouver together and play with Big Tuna on the other side creating them space.  

We will continue to get younger.  But 2 to 3 players a year.  With lots of depth and competition every year.  What we saw this year is what they mean to do.  Next year we will competition in goal even.  

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, TGT68 said:

I am not sure pettersen next year is realistic.  Gaudette coming in next year starting in a 4th line center role like Horvat did as a rookie and gradually working his way up in minutes and role makes sense to me.  But Pettersen specifically I think goes to Utica with Dahlen, works on draws and they both work on systems and work their way up to first line with a big body on the other side.  Then the year after move up to Vancouver together and play with Big Tuna on the other side creating them space.  

We will continue to get younger.  But 2 to 3 players a year.  With lots of depth and competition every year.  What we saw this year is what they mean to do.  Next year we will competition in goal even.  

Yep, I see no rush to put him in our line-up next year. Pettersson himself knows this as well. Unless he plays lights out in which that case you'd have to make room for him. 

47 minutes ago, TGT68 said:

I'd say skill level wise, he'd absolutely be ready. He probably needs time to adjust as a center and being on NA ice though.

15 hours ago, Canadian Clay said:

Look at the top line centre for the 2015 Blackhawks, 2014 kings, 2011 bruins, or 2010 Blackhawks. 

If bo horvat can turn into a 60 point centre with an excellent two way game and good face offs, he can be a first line centre

not if Pettersson is a 70+ point player. i think he will reach 75 points in his first 3 or 4 seasons. (dare i say sooner)

3 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

like I have been saying ....how do you keep a 65-75 point man out of the lineup ....because "he's not ready"....it doesn't make sense to me...

Elias will be 175 lbs next year and even better than this year in every other way....he could have outscored the Sedins by 10-20 points this year....why wait past next year?

Because there's a chance it could hurt his long-term development. He could get injured or just lose confidence in the NHL if he doesn't succeed right away. After 2 seasons in the SHL we should see a more physically and mentally mature 20 year old Pettersson who is ready to jump right into the NHL and have an impact. 

40 minutes ago, dank.sinatra said:

Because there's a chance it could hurt his long-term development. He could get injured or just lose confidence in the NHL if he doesn't succeed right away. After 2 seasons in the SHL we should see a more physically and mentally mature 20 year old Pettersson who is ready to jump right into the NHL and have an impact. 

Or he goes the 'Nylander route' and spends a half season in Utica and the final half in Vancouver.  Transitioning his game onto the smaller ice would be taken care of while he's in Utica.

6 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

like I have been saying ....how do you keep a 65-75 point man out of the lineup ....because "he's not ready"....it doesn't make sense to me...

Elias will be 175 lbs next year and even better than this year in every other way....he could have outscored the Sedins by 10-20 points this year....why wait past next year?

Because we're in absolutely no rush like at all man.

Sure skill wise he's ready now.  But physically and environmentally I'd say he's not ready until 2019/2020

• Upvote 3