The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

Yes lets hope so. Don’t want our future ended before it really starts because we can’t wait for him to b promoted...

I think it’ll be the only thing keeping him away from Comets or the big club. 

Funny to read the names of superstars mentioned, and the time it took them to start their NHL careers...

Exactly, no need too rush him, let him develop at his own rate. Too often, fans seem too think that we should rush kids to the league to justify the position that they were drafted in. 

This kid had incredible talent and may very well be the most talented puck to come out of the draft, but he wasn't the most physically ready. Or patience will be rewarded. 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Warhippy said:

The environment in the SHL is not the same as the North American leagues and ice surfaces.  The league is littered, hell is buried in prospects and players who lit it up in the Euro leagues and minor leagues but could never translate it to the bigs.

Allowing him a full year to play against the best in the SHL again or a full year + in the AHL to acclimate to a harder and far more intense playing schedule would be nothing but beneficial.  We're in technical year 3 of a rebuild (really around year 4)  and we still have 2 years left before we've stockpiled the depth of prospects and cap space on the big club we need to start being playoff threats again.

If we have a mediocre or bad draft this season we'll be hanging the next decade or more on Lind, Gadjovich, Juolevi and Petterson/Boeser as our only real prospects that can be almost assured to be NHL players of any sort.

Markstrom and Nilsson as well as the play of our kids are actually blowing the early predictions of the canucks being a bottom 5 team out of the water in their first month of play and we could capably be a middle of the pack team.

My accounts for our timeline had us picking top 10 this and next year and competing for 2020-2021 after 2 more decent drafts in which we've accumulated extra picks for selling of expiring contracts or older vets.

Petterson is not needed now.  He is really not needed next year.  While we are exceeding expectations introducing him to early does little to nothing to help the club in the short term except sell a few tickets.

For the club and the long term success of it, ensuring Petterson/Juolevi and our upcoming prospects are properly developed is FAR more important than worrying about why a "potential 60 point player" is not in our line up yet

**Edit**

This isn't to say if he comes in to camp and wows everyone he doesn't deserve a spot on the team.  This is simply saying that there's a large amount of prospects that come over from Europe who do not have great first years in the NHL and when you factor in his size and the far more aggressive Pacific division over the SHL and the added schedule you risk stunting his development or possibly seeing him injured early on due to his not being used to a smaller size rink or far more aggressive playing styles

Selling a few tickets is a significant thing for this management group. After next year it will be 5 drafts and 4 full seasons with them in charge. Ownership has given them a long leash and they are going to need to fill the rink soon to justify the approach they are taking. EP will put  bums in chairs and he turns 19 next week, so his skill coupled with his maturity level and the wow factor of his play puts him in the lineup next season as far as I'm concerned.

There are a lot of people saying the same things here. If he forces management's hand they will have to make a spot for him on the team just as they've said. We have Goldobin and Gaudette also making that push. You take out Burmy and Vanek, and go with 7 D-men, all of a sudden there's room for these guys. I'm probably in the minority, but I think the Sedins will and should sign for a hometown discount and continue to mentor and provide an excellent example to these young guys for another year. Elias with the Sedins guiding him will grow leaps and bounds and I think they will be done the following year so I would definitely take advantage of that situation.

As for the folks saying he needs to spend a year at center in a lesser pro league before coming to the NHL, cuz we need him to be a #1 center, Maybe. I just think he is too special to leave off of the roster and he'll make that transition when the team needs him to.

If the Sedins want to stay that's fine with me as well....but at 8 minutes a game they won't be wanting to sit on the pine for that long each game...I think they pass.

New Jersey has 7 starter's UNDER 22 years of age....think about that....and they are doing just fine this year ...as we know all too welll.

EP is better than Nico....he would have buried the chance Nico just had....we will see that...next year.....

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

Think the one thing that will determine if he plays NHL, AHL or SHL will be his size.

He needs to be bigger than this... I don't care how elusive he is, if he gets hit a few time at this size, we'll get a ticket to his funeral.

There won't be much joy if he get injured right away, as he won't gain weight or improve skill wise, if he is in plaster...

Just imagine him being hit by a Torres express type of hit, or a Gudbransson...

I wanna see him as much as anyone, but not unless he is deemed physically ready, deemed by the coaching staff and the coaching staff only.

Muscle, muscle, muscle... 

Et da twin?

Imagine Yamamoto getting hit by Guddy?

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

It would be nothing but a waste of time for the Canucks and Pettersson. The guy is proving himself now, he doesn't need to play meaningless games in Utica when he can come to the Canucks next year and perform on the big squad. This guy is legit.

Well, I am looking forward to seeing him too big fellow

but maybe we should wait and see him in the summer and the pre-season before giving him 1st line duties

PS..I think he is legit too!

• Cheers 1

21 hours ago, clam linguine said:

I thought we were hoping for Sakic or Forsberg.  You give me Schwartz.  There probably are some, so just name two you want EP to aspire to be as good as.  I haven't researched it, so shove it down my throat.

If he's going to be great, he'll be on the team next year.

Benn, St. Louis, Oates, Draisatl, Marchand, Selanne, Bertuzzi, Scheifle, Wheeler, Tarasenko, Gudreau, Datsyuk, LeClair, Pavelski, Kucherov, Naslund, etc.,

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Et da twin?

Imagine Yamamoto getting hit by Guddy?

Fair argument Hutton, but he still needs some more muscle.

I think he would get destroyed. When I think of that, fly meets fly swap spring to mind. JV could send him to never never land. 

I just don't want to chance our future 1C getting a bad injury before the dream even has started, because he isn't physically ready to be targeted.

I actually think that size was the main issue as to why he wasn't in the running for first overall... Surely JB can't have been the only one knowing how talented this kid is....

Edited by spook007
  • Upvote 2

As I said before he should finish the year in the SHL, and play one year or at least half a season in the AHL next year at the centre ice position. We need to handle EP very cautiously/delicately. He's our only hope in becoming a 1st line centre right now. Let him fill out and play a season against men in NA. There's nothing wrong with that and it won't hurt his development at all. He would actually  benefit from it in the long run. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, spook007 said:

Fair argument Hutton, but he still needs some more muscle.

I think he would get destroyed. When I think of that, fly meets fly swap spring to mind. JV could send him to never never land. 

I just don't want to chance our future 1C getting a bad injury before the dream even has started, because he isn't physically ready to be targeted.

I actually think that size was the main issue as to why he wasn't in the running for first overall... Surely JB can't have been the only one knowing how talented this kid is....

Yeah this kid is still built like a stork. A super talented stork. 

There is zero need to rush him if he isn’t physically ready even if the twins retire.  If people need a “kid” I’d say look at Gaudette but Granny/Gaunce/Gagner work to Center a line as well.

Edited by ilduce39
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Arvidsson, Pastrnak, Gaudreau, Yammamoto... 3 out of those 4 have atleast learned to produce at the NHL level. I'll admit they have filled out a little bit but we're right around EP's size when they started. I think the 9 game stint at the very least next season will give us a pin hole persepective of how he can deal with the smaller ice and high degree of impact. I guarantee you he's been thinking about it his whole life, he's going to be prepared. 

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

EP should put a weight tracker online and we can all dance for joy when he gains an ounce or freak out if he doesn't. I can see the discussions now "EP hasn't gained any weight in 3 weeks, Benning is an idiot!!!" 

Lol, it can be like a point tracker. If he puts on 3 lbs of muscle it'd be like him getting a hat trick, or being a +3 that day. 

Edited by Kungfudru
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Kungfudru said:

Lol, it can be like a point tracker. If he puts on 3 lbs of muscle it'd be like him getting a hat trick. 

It'd be like him scoring 2 hattricks in a game

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Well, I am looking forward to seeing him too big fellow

but maybe we should wait and see him in the summer and the pre-season before giving him 1st line duties

PS..I think he is legit too!

I'm sure he's a lock for the team next year, never said anything about the 1st line.

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, Kungfudru said:

Lol, it can be like a point tracker. If he puts on 3 lbs of muscle it'd be like him getting a hat trick, or being a +3 that day. 

I think a good analogy for EP is a guy like Nikolaj Ehlers who I think was in the 150 lbs range when he was drafted, and is only 172 now. Its easier for a winger to be a bit smaller but if EP can get into the Henrik range (180s) he'll be fine. 

1 hour ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

Arvidsson, Pastrnak, Gaudreau, Yammamoto... 3 out of those 4 have atleast learned to produce at the NHL level. I'll admit they have filled out a little bit but we're right around EP's size when they started.

Eh.  Not quite.  In order of inches EP has over them (now, not draft year-to-draft year): 5, 2, 6, 6  He was heavier than each of them was in their draft years too.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

Arvidsson, Pastrnak, Gaudreau, Yammamoto... 3 out of those 4 have atleast learned to produce at the NHL level. I'll admit they have filled out a little bit but we're right around EP's size when they started. I think the 9 game stint at the very least next season will give us a pin hole persepective of how he can deal with the smaller ice and high degree of impact. I guarantee you he's been thinking about it his whole life, he's going to be prepared. 

3 of those guys are 5'9 (Isn't Yamamoto even shorter than that?), quite a bit shorter than Pettersson that is 6'2 if I recall. Not to mention I don't think any of them play center either, which we are hoping Pettersson will do for us. So some muscle would be beneficial. Not like he needs a lot though.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think a good analogy for EP is a guy like Nikolaj Ehlers who I think was in the 150 lbs range when he was drafted, and is only 172 now. Its easier for a winger to be a bit smaller but if EP can get into the Henrik range (180s) he'll be fine. 

I agree, although getting up to 190 - 195 would be even better considering the size of some of the other centres that he'll matchup with in the NHL, and the rigours of the playoffs. Don't get me wrong, I believe EP is smart enough, and would seemlesly transition into the NHL as soon as next year as a winger. Although this team desperately needs a #1 centre and it might be a good idea for him to get accustom to the NA ice as a centerman against men in the AHL first before he makes the jump. It might even only take half a season if he kills it which he's very capable of doing. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Kungfudru said:

I agree, although getting up to 190 - 195 would be even better considering the size of some of the other centres that he'll matchup with in the NHL, and the rigours of the playoffs. Don't get me wrong, I believe EP is smart enough, and would seemlesly transition into the NHL as soon as next year as a winger. Although this team desperately needs a #1 centre and it might be a good idea for him to get accustom to the NA ice as a centerman against men in the AHL first before he makes the jump. It might even only take half a season if he kills it which he's very capable of doing. 

Elias will play wing to start his NHL career next season.  (I think he might be over here before the end of his season.)  If he gains some pounds, he will move to center.  If he stays light, he will be a ppg. winger.  Either way, we win:)  He's so very good, that he will make a number two center be a number one.  He's like Patrick Kane good!