The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

16 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

With the training programs the put kids through these days, it's not that much for him to add 10 to 15 lbs in a year. He's a tall kid, his frame should add that easily. 

I'm not saying everyone develops the same way obviously gentetics, bone structure etc are important factors when a boy makes the transition to manhood in terms of physical attributes, and weight gain, but in my case I'm 6'2, and when I was 17 I was a toothpick and weighed 172lbs soaking wet. By the time I reached 22 I was 200lbs and mainly muscle. I worked very hard to get to that physical state though with proper training and diet. If I hadn't put the work in I might have only made it to 180lbs. I'm currently 210lbs and mainly muscle and I don't have the thickest bones either. 

Edited by Kungfudru
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, spook007 said:

Fair argument Hutton, but he still needs some more muscle.

I think he would get destroyed. When I think of that, fly meets fly swap spring to mind. JV could send him to never never land. 

I just don't want to chance our future 1C getting a bad injury before the dream even has started, because he isn't physically ready to be targeted.

I actually think that size was the main issue as to why he wasn't in the running for first overall... Surely JB can't have been the only one knowing how talented this kid is....

Sure, nobody wants that.  But what will be "physically ready" for him?  Gaudreau and Yamamoto will never be 170lbs, and Pettersson may never get above 180.  Does that mean he'll never be ready?  There's more than just pure numbers, as Granlund for example is pretty decent in the corners and actually knocking guys around (recall last Detroit game) and is at 183, around the twins' size.  None of them will be built like a Palmu, who is essentially as physically ready as he'll ever be.  Reportedly, Pettersson is already reasonably strong, certainly moreso than a Bambi on skates like Ehlers was, or even a Pastrnak.  Ready will be ready, in whatever capacity -- from limited viewing thus far he seems like most high-end players, able to engage but not be regularly crushed.

2 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

3 of those guys are 5'9 (Isn't Yamamoto even shorter than that?), quite a bit shorter than Pettersson that is 6'2 if I recall. Not to mention I don't think any of them play center either, which we are hoping Pettersson will do for us. So some muscle would be beneficial. Not like he needs a lot though.

Grasping at straws. You get the point. He's light. He's not going to gain 50 pounds. He's gunna have to play like some of these guys in order to avoid contact. 

Edited by Camel Toe Drag

2 hours ago, SamJamIam said:

Eh.  Not quite.  In order of inches EP has over them (now, not draft year-to-draft year): 5, 2, 6, 6  He was heavier than each of them was in their draft years too.

Why don't we compare weights. Don't bother responding to someone if your point is redundant. The point is that he's a light fellow and will have to learn to be as elusive as anyone one of those players I mentioned above. Right?

Edited by Camel Toe Drag

28 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

Grasping at straws. You get the point. He's light. He's not going to gain 50 pounds. He's gunna have to play like some of these guys in order to avoid contact. 

They play wing though, so that helps. If we want Pettersson to play center he's gonna have to be taking in some contact here and there. I am not worried about his weight now, cause he's young. But if he wants to make the NHL he can't be under 180 imo. Just going around the Pacific Division. Most if not all the centers I seen were 185+. Cammalleri, listed as center, is 5'9 and he's not even under 180. We aren't asking he put on 50 pounds. Just not be 160, which a couple of the sites I seen him have him listed at. Another year to bulk up next year in the SHL/AHL isn't a bad thing nor are we in a rush to throw him in the NHL. If he comes to camp next year still rather slender I'll be paying more attention to how he is in board battles than how many points he is scoring. 

On a side note, Yamamoto got sent down. So he hasn't exactly proven to be a NHL producer. I am curious how many centers there are under 180 in the league right now. I feel like weight matters for that position more than the wings.

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

Sure, nobody wants that.  But what will be "physically ready" for him?  Gaudreau and Yamamoto will never be 170lbs, and Pettersson may never get above 180.  Does that mean he'll never be ready?  There's more than just pure numbers, as Granlund for example is pretty decent in the corners and actually knocking guys around (recall last Detroit game) and is at 183, around the twins' size.  None of them will be built like a Palmu, who is essentially as physically ready as he'll ever be.  Reportedly, Pettersson is already reasonably strong, certainly moreso than a Bambi on skates like Ehlers was, or even a Pastrnak.  Ready will be ready, in whatever capacity -- from limited viewing thus far he seems like most high-end players, able to engage but not be regularly crushed.

Both are shorter... 

Pettersson (just realised I can't even spell his name) may never get above 180, but if thats the case so be it, but at least give him a chance to build up as much muscle as he possibly can, before he gets creamed. It doesn't matter how good or elusive he is, he is going to get hit. at the moment he is still only 6'2 and 165 lbs, and thats thin... 

If management think he is strong enough, at whatever weight he is next year, then so be it, but dammit it will be a mistake if he gets injured right away. He has to be able to absorb the hit there will be coming his way.

Granlund is doing well at 183, but is 2 inches shorter (not a lot), but still comparably 25 lbs more than Pettersson at the moment. 

I will be very surprised, if he plays under 180 at the big club, but what do I know. 

16 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

Why don't we compare weights. Don't bother responding to someone if your point is redundant. The point is that he's a light fellow and will have to learn to be as elusive as anyone one of those players I mentioned above. Right?

I think you missed what was obvious to everyone else 20 pages ago:

Forsberg.thumb.jpg.e0099c2bd35d1083cf7a7b2e80d2e0e4.jpg

Forsberg was billed as 6'0", 205 lbs when he retired. Guys typically gain a good bit of size after their draft year, particularly if they have a late height gain as both Elias and Peter did at 18.

6 minutes ago, SamJamIam said:

Forsberg was billed as 6'0", 205 lbs when he retired. Guys typically gain a good bit of size after their draft year, particularly if they have a late height gain as both Elias and Peter did at 18.

Yes and retirement compared to your rookie NHL season is many pounds in between. Anyways we both understand he will grow. I'm just saying he's going to have to play elusive in his first few seasons. I have no doubt he'll adapt. 

16 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

They play wing though, so that helps. If we want Pettersson to play center he's gonna have to be taking in some contact here and there. I am not worried about his weight now, cause he's young. But if he wants to make the NHL he can't be under 180 imo. Just going around the Pacific Division. Most if not all the centers I seen were 185+. Cammalleri, listed as center, is 5'9 and he's not even under 180. We aren't asking he put on 50 pounds. Just not be 160, which a couple of the sites I seen him have him listed at. Another year to bulk up next year in the SHL/AHL isn't a bad thing nor are we in a rush to throw him in the NHL. If he comes to camp next year still rather slender I'll be paying more attention to how he is in board battles than how many points he is scoring. 

On a side note, Yamamoto got sent down. So he hasn't exactly proven to be a NHL producer. I am curious how many centers there are under 180 in the league right now. I feel like weight matters for that position more than the wings.

Your missing the point. Lighter guys have to play a certain style in order to not get hurt. A style EP can relate to is any of ten guys I listed. Even a Tyler Johnson. He will get heavier as his career progresses but the first few seasons you better bet he's going to have to be shifty like a Gaudreau. 

Also as as I stated in the previous post I mentioned that 3 out of 4 are NHL producers. That 25% would be Kailer Yamamoto. 

31 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

Your missing the point. Lighter guys have to play a certain style in order to not get hurt. A style EP can relate to is any of ten guys I listed. Even a Tyler Johnson. He will get heavier as his career progresses but the first few seasons you better bet he's going to have to be shifty like a Gaudreau. 

Also as as I stated in the previous post I mentioned that 3 out of 4 are NHL producers. That 25% would be Kailer Yamamoto. 

Gotcha, gotcha. I still think as a center you can't really rely on "being shifty". I feel like wingers don't have the pucks on their sticks as much as Centers would. With that said, point is moot if he's not even NHL ready next year. Hopefully he bulks up over the year though. 180 is generally the bar from what I see from centers, particularly in our division, so hopefully he is around there come next season.

Just to put things into perspective... I know Vancouver fans seems to have some hard-on expecting all #1 centres to be some behemoth like Joe Thornton, Anze Kopitar or Ryan Getzlaf but many of the premiere centres are actually much smaller.

Henrik - 6'2 185lbs

Datsyuk - 5'11 195lbs

Zetterberg - 6' 195lbs

Giroux - 5'11 185lbs

Bergeron - 6'1 195lbs

Pavelski - 6'1 195lbs

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Just to put things into perspective... I know Vancouver fans seems to have some hard-on expecting all #1 centres to be some behemoth like Joe Thornton, Anze Kopitar or Ryan Getzlaf but many of the premiere centres are actually much smaller.

Henrik - 6'2 185lbs

Datsyuk - 5'11 195lbs

Zetterberg - 6' 195lbs

Giroux - 5'11 185lbs

Bergeron - 6'1 195lbs

Pavelski - 6'1 195lbs

Not to mention, our other top 6 is  over 220 in no horvat. It’s not like we have nugent Hopkins behind Petterson. Horvat can match up against big centres much in the way Kesler did in the 2011 playoffs

Edited by Canadian Clay
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, SamJamIam said:

hes fine i was 145 at 16 5’3 by 18 i was 157 6’1  now im 6’4 236  drink sone guiness and eat some steak and potatoes and hit gym hard  he will gain like 5 to 10 pounds over the season and 7 to ten over the summer if hes 175-180 by next training camp sweet  hes young lotsa time to put on muscle its nice that hes killing offensive numbers against men at his size already 

• Cheers 2

Out if the 126*pages 120 of them are about his weight. Let's stop talking about his weight and let him physically develop at his pace. He may top out at 180, he most likely will never be near 200 lbs. 

Edited by cyoung

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 6:37 AM, Warhippy said:

This isn't to say if he comes in to camp and wows everyone he doesn't deserve a spot on the team.  This is simply saying that there's a large amount of prospects that come over from Europe who do not have great first years in the NHL and when you factor in his size and the far more aggressive Pacific division over the SHL and the added schedule you risk stunting his development or possibly seeing him injured early on due to his not being used to a smaller size rink or far more aggressive playing styles

Markus Naslund comes to mind as an example?

Petterson is quite light.  But between his testing at the combine, and play since? He certainly appears to have the core power, balance, leg strength, agility & endurance of an absolutely elite athlete. NHL or otherwise...

I don't disagree some time on a N A ice will / would be beneficial. But I suggest taking the wait and see approach. Green seems capable of determining quickly where guys are at.How fast was Dane Fox in the ECHL. Did he play Boeser. But has measured and carefully managed our two goalies. Also made hard decisions? Like let the Twins know they no longer have the dynamics and speed to be top line players. Then reflect it in their ice time! He is working based on the combination of what is required development wise, and what we need now with what is at his disposal. 

edit: just suggesting NHL coaching, notably Green, will probably be able to tell if he is ready?  And suggest odds are as high he plays, as needs more development time. Lets be open to both? 

Edited by Canuck Surfer
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Markus Naslund comes to mind as an example?

Petterson is quite light.  But between his testing at the combine, and play since? He certainly appears to have the core power, balance, leg strength, agility & endurance of an absolutely elite athlete. NHL or otherwise...

I don't disagree some time on a N A ice will / would be beneficial. But I suggest taking the wait and see approach. Green seems capable of determining quickly where guys are at.How fast was Dane Fox in the ECHL. Did he play Boeser. But has measured and carefully managed our two goalies. Also made hard decisions? Like let the Twins know they no longer have the dynamics and speed to be top line players. Then reflect it in their ice time! He is working based on the combination of what is required development wise, and what we need now with what is at his disposal. 

edit: just suggesting NHL coaching, notably Green, will probably be able to tell if he is ready?  And suggest odds are as high he plays, as needs more development time. Lets be open to both? 

Naslund, Forsberg, Sedins (prime example honestly) Ohlund, NYlander.

There's quite a few players there who either did well with more time in the SHL post draft or who had less than productive (based on their careers) early starts in the league

There's no question if he comes to camp and surprises he deserves a spot.  But for all the reasons people have mentioned and #1 to ensure he acclimates to NA ice as a center or C/W we should be in no reason to rush him over in to the majors

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Honey-Badger-Hansen said:

Elias apparently sustained a minor injury and is day-to-day

Inserted as picture as I couldn't get the tweet to embed

IMG_0435.PNG

It's a minor injury I think. He probably won't miss any SHL league games. 

Edited by Kungfudru
  • Upvote 1