The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, BananaMash said:

It doesn't though.

Let's at least wait until Juolevi hits the NHL before you start making "good/bad pick" calls. One year out from the draft is always too early. I'm not saying either is going to be better, but saying he was the wrong pick based on Draft+1 is stupid.

What I am saying is based on an opinion that has proof to back it up.  What you are saying is stupid because you have no proof.  Again, you have it backwards

Just now, The 5th Line said:

My point was we should of had  Nylander, Glass and Horvat not Petterson, Virtanen and Horvat.

Doesn't matter anyway.  end of convo

I like our pick.  The kid looks like he's got elite skill and vision.  Plus he plays in the tougher areas.  And he's a centre.  I see him replacing Hank.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Borvat said:

Pretty slight and seems timid.  Not sure how he will stand up to the NHL playoffs when the going gets rough.  And he is known as a perimeter player. Does this sound good? 

Timid? Every scouting report I've read says he has dogged determination when chasing down pick carriers.  Very high ceiling, offensively and very good defensively.  Aside from his weight, I don't see much to complain about.  Swedes aren't as passive as they used to be, the new generation play an up tempo, pretty hard nosed style these days.  I thought for sure it was going to be Glass, but I'm thrilled with EP.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, terrible.dee said:

I don't understand why we didn't pick someone to play with Bo NOW

We HAVE one of the two most important pieces possible, today was our shot at the other one,

Why is Benning drafting for 3 years down the road? We aren't Detroit in 2009, trying to keep prospects far away until our vets retire, we need the best players we can get RIGHT NOW

Benning did not get us that, look at the scouting lists, he went off the board AGAIN, If he had a great track record of making gut picks then fine, but his gut picks are always WRONG

I repeat, he just did it again, it makes no sense, he did not give us the best chance at the best player

He did..........I don't know what the hell he's doing

Mainly because we didn't have a top 2 pick in this draft and everything after the top 2 are at the least a year or two away from the NHL. Might be a surprise here or there, but not a lot of NHL ready players this draft.

Just now, Borvat said:

What I am saying is based on an opinion that has proof to back it up.  What you are saying is stupid because you have no proof.  Again, you have it backwards

Your "proof" completely ignores that not every player develops exactly the same though, so it's founded on entirely flawed logic.

If we were having this discussion three years removed from the draft I would be willing to buy into what you're saying, but currently you are jumping the gun.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Dahlen and Pettersson have played more together and are both going to get better with age.

While this might indeed be true, it does make them sound like red wine brands.

Just now, Qwags said:

Can't wait to hear the Glass-Pettersson comparisons for the next thousand years. 

Eh, there were a ton of Horvat/Nichuskin comparisons, especially the first year when Nichuskin had a good rookie campaign and Horvat wasn't even in the gosh darn NHL yet dont'y'know!

Those have pretty much vanished in the last couple of years lol

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, BananaMash said:

Your "proof" completely ignores that not every player develops exactly the same though, so it's founded on entirely flawed logic.

If we were having this discussion three years removed from the draft I would be willing to buy into what you're saying, but currently you are jumping the gun.

Lets make it 5 years.  Is that better? I am saying that I would rather have Tkachuk than Juolevi.  Based on the current status my opinion is proven.  If over time the proof changes my opinion will change and I will admit I was wrong.  Until such time I stand by my opinion based on proof.  I don't need to wait three years, you do. 

Just now, Borvat said:

Lets make it 5 years.  Is that better? I am saying that I would rather have Tkachuk than Juolevi.  Based on the current status my opinion is proven.  If over time the proof changes my opinion will change and I will admit I was wrong.  Until such time I stand by my opinion based on proof.  I don't need to wait three years, you do. 

You can't prove opinions bro, that's not how opinions work.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Spoderman said:

i think its hilarious u kids talking sh*t about Elias. u wouldnt say this $&!# to him at Rogers Arena, hes jacked. not only that but he wears the freshest clothes, eats at the chillest restaurants and hangs out with the hottest dudes. yall are pathetic lol

Er...wat?

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Spoderman said:

i think its hilarious u kids talking sh*t about Elias. u wouldnt say this $&!# to him at Rogers Arena, hes jacked. not only that but he wears the freshest clothes, eats at the chillest restaurants and hangs out with the hottest dudes. yall are pathetic lol

real

10 minutes ago, Oregon.Duck said:

The salt is strong in this thread. Notice how Vilardi fell to #11, while we arm chair GMs were biting at the chomps to pick him at #5! This just shows how little we know compared to these GMs that have spent hours with these prospects and the scouts that have spent days analyzing their play and scrutinizing everything.

From what I hear, Elias Pettersson has elite potential if he can fill out his frame. Possibly one of the most dynamic players in the draft. Instead of being happy with the amazing player we receive, we already set this kid up in our minds for failure.

Like I've said I don't mind Petterson he has good skill but he's 165 pounds and has a lot of development to do. Vilardi and Glass have NHL bodies already and also have skill. Everyone making fun of me for Vilardi falling to 11 will get a wake up call in a few years when Vilardi is a star with the kings. 

• Upvote 1