The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

While Pettersson's slight frame is a bit concerning, the fact that he was able to play so well among men has to be a huge plus for him.  I personally preferred either Glass or Vilardi for 5th overall but I like the Pettersson pick too, in the long run.  The scouting report indicates that Pettersson is NOT soft, which is great, but it remains to be seen if he can remain aggressive and tenacious on NHL ice.

Since Pettersson played in Sweden last year, I presume he's eligible to play with the Comets in the AHL this year?  Not sure if that's the best for him but it's a good option at least so that he can transition to the North American game.  If it works out, it could accelerate his development.  It might also make it more appealing for Dahlen to spend time developing with the Comets.

Other posters have pointed out that drafting Pettersson points to a line of Virtanen-Pettersson-Dahlen in the future.  It makes great sense and I think Jake has shown that he can play well with talented players.  It would also take the pressure off of Jake to drive play and produce.  He can focus on what he still excels at - applying pressure on the forecheck, hitting and using his great shot.  He would be able to do this on his off-wing too (which I believe is his strong side) since Dahlen prefers to play RW.  Only time will tell if this will be a first line in the future, but it has promise.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, BananaMash said:

You can't prove opinions bro, that's not how opinions work.

I just did. Nice attempt at deflection though I will give you that.

Edited by Borvat

1 minute ago, messier's_elbow said:

Like I've said I don't mind Petterson he has good skill but he's 165 pounds and has a lot of development to do. Vilardi and Glass have NHL bodies already and also have skill. Everyone making fun of me for Vilardi falling to 11 will get a wake up call in a few years when Vilardi is a star with the kings. 

I would have liked Vilardi also but at least the Canucks would not be the only team to have allowed Vilardi to drop to 11.

2 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

Like I've said I don't mind Petterson he has good skill but he's 165 pounds and has a lot of development to do. Vilardi and Glass have NHL bodies already and also have skill. Everyone making fun of me for Vilardi falling to 11 will get a wake up call in a few years when Vilardi is a star with the kings. 

You didn't just say star. You said best in the draft. Nobody had said Vilardi will be a bust.

3 minutes ago, Katobaron said:

So the Canucks pass on the smaller skilled Swed (Nylander) to go with size and physicality with top 6 potential (Virtanen) and people haven't let it go ever since. Now we pick the smaller skilled Swed (Pettersson) and pass on the size and physicality (Vilardi) and people are upset?

WHAT. DO. YOU. WANT.

For the Canucks to follow the pre draft consensus

18 minutes ago, BananaMash said:

It doesn't though.

Let's at least wait until Juolevi hits the NHL before you start making "good/bad pick" calls. One year out from the draft is always too early. I'm not saying either is going to be better, but saying he was the wrong pick based on Draft+1 is stupid.

Well said.

With love,

S7C

11 minutes ago, Borvat said:

I am saying that I would rather have Tkachuk than Juolevi.  

Not going to enter your lively debate but OJ has a far higher ceiling than Tkachuk.   Tkachuk will wear thin on teammates as quickly as he has on a lot of the league and watch him have lots of regression next season and have far from much success as a career.   OJ looks like a top 4 and even top pairing Dman.   Tkachuk is a one act Sean Avery type of player.

I don't think it's a bad pick, I just think there were better options available. 

Pettersson is a Canuck and I hope he becomes the best possible player he can become. 

I had quite a few players above him.

Who knows how things will look in 5 years? 

Everyone complaining about his weight...

1: He's 18! he will fill out, he's not tiny, he's 6'2, it's not THAT hard to put weight on. I was around 155 in my early 20's and put on 50+lbs in a couple of years, muscle, not fat...well...mostly muscle haha.

2: I'd rather take a kid who is playing against men with a slight frame, who will get bigger and stronger, who is already playing very well against men who are larger then him at this stage, then some kid who looks like a man, playing against 15/16 yr olds and dominating them, because of course they are.

3: Hockey IQ is great, weight is easy to put on, smarts not so much.

Word on the street is he's under contract to his tier 2 (that's second rate, btw, he's not in the SEL in case anyone was confused) Swedish team for next year, and plans to play the next three years in Sweden.

Probably has goals like, making the SEL, winning a championship there and such...maybe then he'll consider the Canucks,

Looks like this guy won't be seen around these parts for a long long...long time

Cool

Oh and one more thing, I watched some highlights and from what I can tell he plays in a "No contact" league, on the big ice,

That should get him nice and ready....like Phillip Larson, ready

Kid may have talent but he isn't training to be an NHL player, that seems like a "Maybe latter on....at some point, kind of thing for him"

But that's fine, we're all good over here....enjoy that big ice buddy

• Haha 2