The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

I realize this.  You are both missing my point, and I'm certainly not trying to detract from what Pettersson has accomplished so far, nor do I believe it has anything to do with his potential.  What I'm saying is that if he is performing at a virtually record pace for the SHL of ANY aged player, how is it that there are so many players who have almost as many points?  There ought to be a half dozen players in that league breaking records right now.

A shorter schedule may lead to a lesser gap between outstanding and merely good point production.?

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

Any reason why he's not playing with Rosen?

Could be strategic for the opponent. Färjestad are a very good team and so Växjö might want to spread out the scoring and try to avoid certain matchups.

Or it could be about limiting minutes, if Pettersson has some lingering effects from his minor injury.

It’s not the first time they’ve slotted him into the second line for a game this season.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
Typo
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Man is he a competitor, the way he fights for pucks considering his size is awesome. Heres hoping his compete level off the ice matches his compete on the ice because with a few more pounds of muscle we could have an all star.

When does the SHL season end? Could we see him at the end of the year?

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Man is he a competitor, the way he fights for pucks considering his size is awesome. Heres hoping his compete level off the ice matches his compete on the ice because with a few more pounds of muscle we could have an all star.

When does the SHL season end? Could we see him at the end of the year?

I believe their last regular season game is around March 10th and then playoffs after that. Vaxjo is likely to go a little ways in the playoffs so it is very doubtful we will see Pettersson over here this season.

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, kloubek said:

I realize this.  You are both missing my point, and I'm certainly not trying to detract from what Pettersson has accomplished so far, nor do I believe it has anything to do with his potential.  What I'm saying is that if he is performing at a virtually record pace for the SHL of ANY aged player, how is it that there are so many players who have almost as many points?  There ought to be a half dozen players in that league breaking records right now.

Could be a number of reasons. Maybe the SHL has become easier compared to the years past. Maybe some of those players, over the years, have accumulated enough know-how on how to score in the SHL. The rest of the league hasn't figured out how to stop them effectively, and maybe once they do, those guys will slow down more or less to a PPG rate rather than 1.2~1.3 PPG rate that they are on now.  It could also be that some of those experienced guys that have played in the league for a long time and are talented enough have become very efficient in doing their job, that is, found a way to generate chances efficiently.

I have watched a live SHL game (just one game so I'm no expert) but my feeling is that the big ice surface makes a huge difference. In the NHL, coaches strategize like crazy to limit the space and time of the opposing team's star players. And in the NHL, due to the small ice surface, it works. You have enough bodies to always crowd the guy to the corner boards. Also, creating puck battles and chipping the puck out is easier in the NHL compared to SHL. Take Ryan Lasch for example. He is 5'9, probably skilled but not skilled enough to make up for lack of size to make it in the NHL. And whatever is working well for him in the SHL, will not work long in the NHL.

Just to share my experience. The game I went featured a team named Djurgarden and I kept noticing this lanky player continuously generating chances in a similar fashion. Driving the puck wide and cut to the net or some variant of it. The player's name was Axel Jonsson-Fjallby, drafted in the 5th round by the Capitals in 2016 draft. Initially I was thinking that he was a good skater, quick feet combined with skill, which is probably true to some degree. But around 3rd period, I was thinking, why on earth, is the other team allowing the similar play to be made over and over? I think the answer lied in the large ice surface. If you can skate well, and have skill and vision, then you can always generate chances using the exact same way and that will lead to more points in that league.

I don't really know why there are so many player on a record breaking pace this season. But consider Anton Rodin for example. He can skate well, shoot well, can pass well, and has good skill. What did he do for the last two seasons? Try out for the NHL. Basically the elite players in the SHL do not stick around forever. If they did, we would see the record break pace more often. 

I think what's important is that Pettersson, who has zero experience in the league has basically figured out an efficient way to score in the SHL. Something that takes few years for other smart players to figure out, he is doing that in his first year. That speaks highly to his intelligence. It also shows that his skating ability and skill level are both pretty good. For a rookie player in the SHL, his pace has not really been in the history of SHL.

In fact, if you consider only the rookie season, the best point scoring record is held by Daniel Sedin with 42 points and PPG record is held by Naslund and Sandstrom, followed by Nylander:  http://www.quanthockey.com/shl/en/player-age/18-year-old-shl-players.html.

Most, if not all, of the guys that have had a great rookie season in the SHL have all turned out to have had an amazing hockey IQ. As I said above,  in my opinion, SHL is relatively an easy league for a smart player with above average skating and skill because once you figure out a way to generate chances, you can continuously exploit it for a while. So the fact that there are many guys in the SHL that are on record breaking pace is not very important; we have enough evidence to conclude that Pettersson has extremely high hockey IQ, matching or even exceeding some of Sweden's all time greats.

Now, will he be as great as Peter Forsberg? Honestly, I don't think so. To reach Forsberg's level in the NHL, you not only need intelligence and skill but grit and feistiness backed up by physicality. Forsberg was a unique player in that he had everything, high hockey IQ, skill, skating, physicality, grit, a bit of dirtiness, and etc. But I am optimistic that Pettersson may one day exceed the levels of Daniel and Henrik Sedin in the NHL.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3