The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

18 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

To go back to the original post. "On most teams kesler would be a 1c in his prime"

Let's say his prime was 2011 when he scored 50 goals. 

Heres a list of teams he would have been the 1c on along with their actual 1c at the time.

New York rangers- Brandon dubinski/Derek Stephan

Nashville predators-david legwand

New Jersey devils-Travis Zajac

Columbus blue jackets-Antoine vermette/Derek brassard 

Buffalo sabers-Tim Connolly

Montreal Canadiens- Thomas plekanec 

Toronto maple leafs- Mikhail Grabovski

Calgary flames- Olli Jokinen

Edmonton oilers- Jordan Eberle

Phoenix coyotes- Eric Belanger

Atlanta thrashers- Rich Peverley

Florida Panthers- Stephen Weiss

Those are just the clear wins by kesler. Those aren't including teams with decent 1cs like koivu and brad Richards and Claude Giroux.

So again like the original post said, kesler would have been a 1c in his prime in most teams. Regardless of how much he used his linemates. 

The original post was wrong. Kesler in his prime scored in a shut down role.  Was not a threat offensively when he had the puck ,But very dangerous when he stole the puck and skated the other direction. 

59 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

Is Nicklas Backstrom still a good player comparison for Elias Pettersson?

I'd say so. Except Backstrom is much bigger at over 210 pounds. Based on his brother, EP will be lucky to break 185 pounds...

11 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

I'd say so. Except Backstrom is much bigger at over 210 pounds. Based on his brother, EP will be lucky to break 185 pounds...

I think he could easily break that. It'll all depend on how much time he gets to put into working out.

It can be tough with a hockey schedule. 

There's also the fact that his brother and he seem to be doing really well at the weight they are. I can only imagine how much being stronger will elevate him.

Edited by Junkyard Dog

1 hour ago, cory40 said:

The original post was wrong. Kesler in his prime scored in a shut down role.  Was not a threat offensively when he had the puck ,But very dangerous when he stole the puck and skated the other direction. 

That shut down role also had the opposite effect. He was expected to shut down the opposing team's top centre, scoring wasnt his focus. When he didnt need to shut them down he opened it up.

5 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

You're wrong.

He isn't really wrong.   

Kesler was playing the role of a shutdown center. 

He was great at creating them overs, and he had that shot from the circle where he got a lot of his goals.  

His passing sucked( the odd time he did it). 

Doesnt have the greatest puck skill either.

He was a hard worker with a great shot and defensive prowess.  

Saying he wasn't a threat is a little much, but if you were able to cover him tight when he had the puck, or block his shooting lane, he is fairly easy for a turn over because you know he won't pass, and he prob couldn't dangle out of danger.  

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

He isn't really wrong.   

He was great at creating them overs, and he had that shot from the circle where he got a lot of his goals.  

Saying he wasn't a threat is a little much, but if you were able to cover him tight when he had the puck, or block his shooting lane, he is fairly easy for a turn over because you know he won't pass, and he prob couldn't dangle out of danger.  

You're wrong too.

The original post said kesler in his prime would have been the 1c on most teams. 

2010. 25 goals 50 assists 75 pts. 

2011. 41 goals 32 assists 73 pts.

Honestly you have to be some kind of special to think that he wasn't a threat or wouldn't have been most teams number 1 center during those years. 

Who were his linemates those years? Jeff tamballini and mason Raymond? 

Don't let the hate for kesler skew your opinion of his skill. 

And I know this is the pettersson thread. Don't care. I will not drop this.

Edited by 73 Percent
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

You're wrong too.

The original post said kesler in his prime would have been the 1c on most teams. 

Honestly you have to be some kind of special to think that he wasn't a threat or wouldn't have been most teams number 1 center during those years. 

Not to mention he did that while the Sedins were given most of the offensive zone draws.

21 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

You're wrong too.

Some have forgotten the kind of player he was in his prime. I've said this so many times before, I've hated the way he left, but he remains my favourtie canuck of all-time. The only two jerseys I have are both Kesler jerseys.

Imagine if he had better linemates. 85-90 points would not have been out of the question. A fricken 2nd line center putting up those types of numbers. Such a stacked 2009-2012 team we had. ;(

Edited by Odd.
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

You're wrong too.

Basically, if Patrice Bergeron is a 1st line Center (he is) the Kessler in his prime is a 1st line Center. Similar roles, similar scoring. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, drummerboy said:

He isn't really wrong.   

27 minutes ago, Canadian Clay said:

Basically, if Patrice Bergeron is a 1st line Center (he is) the Kessler in his prime is a 1st line Center. Similar roles, similar scoring. 

Basically this. How many elite 2 way centres are 1 C's in contending teams? Toews, Kopitar, Bergeron, even Barkov. 

1 hour ago, 73 Percent said:

You're wrong too.

I didn't say he wasn't a threat.  

His shot was one of the best in the league. That is a threat.

He was also one of the most predictable players in the league.  

He got the puck and you knew exactly what he was going to do with it.  

And I absolutly believe he was a 1st line caliber center.   No question.   

And I don't hate Kesler at all.  

The guy is a grade A @sshole, but that's the kind of player I like on my team.  

I hate the overly passive BS this team has used for years.  

I want a guy that will cut you in half to win. 

10 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

Is Nicklas Backstrom still a good player comparison for Elias Pettersson?

In general playstyle?  I guess, kind of.  Both are cerebral playmakers who can also shoot the puck.  The fact they can shoot means defenders give them a bit of extra room to work because they can't overplay the shot or the pass.  However Pettersson is much more dynamic than Backstrom because of his hands.  He is likely to match Backstrom's U20 SHL season totals in under 30 games (Backstrom played 45).

Pettersson isn't the fastest guy (or the slowest) but because he can walk defenders and retrieve pucks quickly, he has no issues going to the front of the net like a larger guy would.  He's also got some next level head fake skills because he rarely has to look at the puck which can really back off defenders on the rush.  Expect to see him deceptively cutting to centre ice more like Boeser does.  I also would not be surprised if he becomes a two way force.  He's already defensively responsible but those hands and subtle stick work mean he should steal a lot of pucks and be able to hold his own in the defensive zone (though to be seen how his board work is).

Edited by SamJamIam
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1